PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best way to clean a bath?

Options

Comments

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    We had one of those, if you washed anything it would temporarily stain the sink, for use milton steriliser worked really well, but it was a pain in the backside.

Yes, I will admit to getting the bleach out as well every so often. White plastic sinks = really stupid.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chances are, if it's plastic and it's as dirty as you describe, the plastic has become scratched and ingrained with dirt over time.

Cif cream or own brand;) might work; but it's harsh; apply to a small area with a damp cloth first and rub gently. Please note this is HARSH and will dull shiny baths, I would never recommend this for a new bath which is plastic - I do use it in my bathroom in the sink and toilet but never the bath.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • geordie_ben
    geordie_ben Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Bleach and vinegar mix is busy dissolving it as we speak.

after a bit of scrubbing it very much like when you scuff your trainers on a wooden floor, but with dirt instead.

it doesn't scrub off, but if you rub your finger over it, it seams to soften it and then the mix brings it off when you scrub. very odd
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my son is a plasterer and regularly came home looking like a chimney sweep - my first action was to fill the bath full of hot water and add biological washing powder/liquid.

Haven't had to replace the bath yet, but the aforementioned offspring has moved out!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • FlubM
    FlubM Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I once accidentally cleaned our bath with Windolene and lifted off more dirt than I ever have with any other product!
  • elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a cleaner that I buy which consists of star drops and bleach. I use it for loads of things, including baths. 99p from B&M bargains or 89p from Home Bargains.
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
  • k66yla
    k66yla Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sugar Soap will clean almost everything. Used it last week in my bathroom and everything came up shining.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    my son is a plasterer and regularly came home looking like a chimney sweep - my first action was to fill the bath full of hot water and add biological washing powder/liquid.

Haven't had to replace the bath yet, but the aforementioned offspring has moved out!
    I'm not surprised that he moved out if you made him bathe in that mix! ;) :rotfl:
    I find bio powder good for a lot of cleaning jobs, particularly soaking caked-on oven shelves:o
    Soda crystals or/and stardrops, used as you recommend (without the young plasterer though :(, ) work pretty well too. :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • cyclingyorkie
    cyclingyorkie Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh gosh I sound like a terrible mother!

What I meant was when DS came home looking like a chimney sweep the bath was filthy afterwards! (ie he didn't clean it!)

But bio washing powder/liquid in hot water always did the trick!
    :jFlylady and proud of it:j
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm sure that no one thought for one minute that you'd made your son bathe in that solution. Just my warped sense of humour!
    Just a note though, I used to have one of those 'mucky sons' at home and he was taught from an early age to add a squirt of fairy liquid to the bathwater. I don't know if he just grew up with it and didn't think it strange but we never suffered from that ring of shame around the tub.... He's also left home now so maybe I'm the terrible mother!:rotfl:
    Sorry to go off thread Geordie Ben, maybe you'll forgive a fellow Geordie? ;)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure