PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best way to clean a bath?

Options

Comments

• Peartree
    Peartree Posts: 788 Forumite
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to say I ended up with an almost immovable line around my bath from overindulging with bath oils. You couldn't see it but you could feel it when wiping the bath over and nothing seemed to shift it. In the end I used a little bit of T-cut (for cars) - I'd read a suggestion for using it to get rid of soap scum in showers, etc - and it worked like magic. Just a little bit on a soft cloth rubbed over the area and then rinsed off. It worked well on the shower tiles as well - I live in a very hard water area and get a lot of build up.
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a dirty sink yesterday (hair dye, wouldnt come off with normal cleaners though) so I soaked some toilet paper in thin bleach and padded the area with the soaked loo roll, left it an hour or so and then just rinsed it, looks sparkling now, when your done chuck the paper down the loo and leave it there to clean the loo too :) btw I have an enamel bath
    Sometimes you have to go through
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • powershopper
    Options
    soda crystals and a scotchbrite pad, in hubbys hands.............
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,189 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree. Those old fashioned soda crystals seem to shift anything. Tell him to make a strong solution, wear rubber gloves and get at the marks with a not too abrasive scourer pad. I swear by these crystals. A couple of years ago, we had a badly blocked drain and were all set to phone the plumber as we'd tried the usual things......you know what that can be like, just for the call out charge. I could see that it seemed to be accumulated fat & stuff that had blocked it so shoved down a whole bag of these crystals with a bit of boiling water, followed by a load of hot water a bit later and it shifted the lot for the 69p! I'm never without them now for the sort of mucky jobs where all else fails.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Cif works for me or Tesco's cheap version of it.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A scourer for non-stick pans, Stardrops solution sprayed on & left for 10 minutes, and hubby's elbow grease should shift it.

And next time, tell him to do the same as soon as he gets out of the bath so it doesn't "set"!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    Get a block of that plastic-foam cleaner (JML and others make it) - from WHSmiths and other big stores (Debenhams have it).
    Cleans almost anything off almost anything - especially good for baths and showers - but gets crayon off wallpaper, grime off the inside of freezers and fridges, oily stains from animals' fur off wallpaper, discolouration off white trainers and even ballpoint pen off my fabric settee.
  • ktpie
    ktpie Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the bath made of? Acrylic can scratch if you use abrasive cleaners or scourers on it so be careful.

Lots of elbow grease is my best tip I'm afraid!
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you happen to have some dishwashing tablets then a couple of those in a bath of hot water and left to soak should do the trick
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bicarb of soda..sprinkle some on and then use a damp cloth or make into a paste and rub gently, then rinse off..works a treat..well it did on ours!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure