3.3K replies 590.5K views

Replies

• edited 3 January 2018 at 9:53AM
    JackRSJackRS Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 3 January 2018 at 9:53AM
    I hope you all had a nice Christmas and the New Year brings you what you wish for/work for.

I was pleased to receive a hand written thank you note from both my daughter and son for Christmas gifts I sent. I’d not heard from my son since February when he text a thank you for his birthday gift but then he changed his mobile number and hasn’t wanted me to have it (yet). However I can still send things to him at his home address the old fashion way. Maybe one day things will improve but it could take many years.

Although my daughter is in regular contact with me she’s not ready to come and stay with me as she struggles to accept me living with my new partner. I appreciate this is early days, she has met her on a number of occasions but still gets upset and seeing me in my new home with someone else is too much for her to deal with now. This obviously hurts my partner as she feels that she doesn’t like her but I have reassured her that it’s not her it’s just that she’s not her mum etc, it’s obviously complex…..

2018 will bring us to the end of the financial settlement with my ex wife with the final maintenance payment on the 1st May, when she is also to return the car I provide through my employers lease car scheme. This is obviously a key milestone to reach and the point at which I can make a clean break. I can imagine she may make it awkward to return the vehicle on time and no doubt my daughter will refer to her mother’s changing financial circumstances and it’s impact on her.

I’ve paid off the loan I took out with my bank to pay the legal fees, the rest of my debts are in 0% credit cards with payment plans in place to clear them by the end of the term, so apart from mortgage I should be debt free by the end of this year. 4 more maintenance payments to make, the ends in sight!

Thanks again for all your support and advice in the past. Every situation is unique but I hope some can get hope from my story and see that although there is never total solution or a fully satisfactory outcome there is always a future with some positive points, things to work on, evolve and in some aspects closure……..
    Regards

JackRS
  • Ruthy1604Ruthy1604 Forumite
    541 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Thanks for Updating Jack.

I've lurked and followed your story from the beginning - I'm so pleased that you are settled and that the end is in sight on the financial ties.

Positive new on your son too - hopefully things will continue to improve in your relationship with both your children.
    10lb to lose & keep off in 20204.5lb/10lb:rotfl:
  • GigervampGigervamp Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update Jack and Happy New Year to you. I'm glad your son sent you a thank you note. I have to ask someone else to see if my daughter has received her birthday gift, she still hasn't contacted me.

I'm disappointed though that your daughter is still acting like a child regarding your partner. It's not really early days, and she is an adult now. However, at least she does visit you.

I bet you can't wait until May! As you say, you can properly start your life again when you're no longer tied to your ex wife financially. It will be interesting to see if she hands the car back without a fuss.

Great news that you're nearly debt free. 2018 is the start of the rest of your life!

All the best.
  • vandanfcvandanfc Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Jack, great to hear from you. Looks like 2018 might be your year then. Here's hoping for more positive steps from your children towards you and your future. Good luck.
  • Icey77Icey77 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Jack and also to Mrs Jack to be :j

I was a bit of a lurker on your thread but added my odd tuppence worth every so often. I'm so very glad to hear your news that you've met someone and that your planning to get married later this year - how exciting!!!

Great to hear also that the relationship with your children is improving, albeit slowly. I really hope they realise soon how very lucky they are to have you as their Dad. My Dad was like you, an absolute gentlemen and I still miss him after 10 years.

Best wishes for 2018 and roll on May when you are truly free and clear!! xx
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    77.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you & that things are as good as they can be.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto to all responses above.

Thankyou, Jack and hope our New Year greetings and appreciation to real life wonder woman, aka worthy Jack RS partner, ring loud and clear to you both.

Long may you live with your contagious happiness, so long overdue.
    #
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Forgot to reply to your update (I read it on my phone), but I'm glad things are starting to improve with your children, and I hope you have a great life with your new partner.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • harz99harz99 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had forgotten all about this thread. Thank you for the update Jack, and now the end is near, very best wishes to you and your partner for your health and happiness going forward.
  • ButtiButti Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Parents who are calm and relaxed always win long term. Kids in a divorce sometimes get mixed messages. If you continue along this path Jack I'm sure they will come to you at some point.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News