Separated, how much should I provide?

Options

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It does look like jack does not trust his solicitors , he asks the same question here a few times but does not ask them , people who supposed to hold his hand in it , that must be not nice situation to be in .
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jack, I think that is a very wise decision you are making, by moving back into the marital home.

It will give you the opportunity to keep things moving with the EA, it does seem such a long time your home has been up for sale. It will be interesting to see how long it takes now that you will be living there.

As to paying your ex's rent when she moves out, I don't think you should. You are already giving her a car and maintenance. It is now up to her to make a claim for HB and JSA.

You have done so much for her and your children and you need to look after No. 1 now.

I cannot believe this has not all been resolved by now.

Take care and try to find peace in all this mess.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something - but surely maintenance is for her to maintain herself - which would include her rent ?

However that said -I'd probably offer to cover half rent up to a reasonable level (bearing in mind that she's moving dahn south where we don't do reasonable rents). As you'll be living in the house so won't have rent to pay.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    However that said -I'd probably offer to cover half rent up to a reasonable level (bearing in mind that she's moving dahn south where we don't do reasonable rents)

Isn't she going to live with her parents when she moves south?
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As others have said she will be entitled to housing benefit, if she chooses to find a place that is more expensive that HB will cover, she will have to make up the difference, which she could take from the already very generous maintenance package.

I get that she may be accustomed to a certain way of living, but things change. What would she do if you lost your job and there was no money?

She is taking your money because she can, no one is stopping her, though legally you are already going over and beyond what is expected of you.

I really hope this situation is over as quickly as possible, so that you can attempt to start rebuilding your life.

x
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    So if you're moving back in to the marital home you can reduce the maintenance by the amount for the household running costs ie gas, electric, council tax, water, insurances etc.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • JackRS
    JackRS Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Isn't she going to live with her parents when she moves south?
    Thanks everyone

She says that she could stay with parents for a bit but obviously wants her own place for the 3 of them. My solicitor hasn't yet advised me but it seems to be even though I am giving her more than double CSA guideline they are looking at what I'd have left from my pay after taking out my living costs. So if I live back the house I'll have no rent therefore they will argue that I should give anything that I don't need to live on to her. However I'm thinking of taking a bank loan to pay off credit card debt (£16K) as soon I'll be paying the interest on them. Or maybe I should buy some where take out a new mortgage and that will need a large monthly out flow. It seems that all the people I speak to that includes some ladies who have been in a similar position can't believe how much I'm giving and what they are expecting in terms of 100% of house etc due to the fact that she has limited earning potential.
    Regards

JackRS
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JackRS wrote: »
    It seems that all the people I speak to that includes some ladies who have been in a similar position can't believe how much I'm giving and what they are expecting in terms of 100% of house etc due to the fact that she has limited earning potential.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Is there anyone who thinks what she's getting from you is reasonable?

She has completely failed to take any responsibility for her own life and is letting you get deeper and deeper in debt.

If you move back to the house, start using what would have gone in rent to pay off your debts. Don't increase what you're giving her!

I struggle to believe that your solicitor is really working for you - you seem to be getting royally ripped off.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree Mojisola. It's been over a year now and she's been trotting out one excuse after another about why she can't work or sign on.

It's time she acted like the adult she is and stood on her own two feet. At the rate this is dragging out, Jack's kids will be having their own kids before he's free of the financial burdon his EX wife is putting on him.

Jack, have you considered using another solicitor?
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Things take time , I would bet on it ending withing the.next year which is not that bad. A silver lining on a cloud could be that jack's kids may be indeed beyond certain age and not taken into account as dependants on his ex in the property needs assessment. Jack , it does sound like a good idea to take.on loan, at least money will be going to clear your.debt instead of your.ex's pocket
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure