storage heaters/electric central heating or gas?

Options

Comments

• Hello there!

We are also considering updating our storage heaters, mainly because I am having a baby in January and I am worried that I won't be able to control the nursery temperature.

We live in a 3 bed terrace, do not have access to gaxs and oil is not an option. Does anyone have any recommendation over which type of storage heater to buy? There are also some new German storage heaters which have clay inside and heat up throughout the day, regulating the temperature. Does anyone have any feedback on these?

Many thanks in advance!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hello there!

We are also considering updating our storage heaters, mainly because I am having a baby in January and I am worried that I won't be able to control the nursery temperature.

We live in a 3 bed terrace, do not have access to gaxs and oil is not an option. Does anyone have any recommendation over which type of storage heater to buy? There are also some new German storage heaters which have clay inside and heat up throughout the day, regulating the temperature. Does anyone have any feedback on these?

Many thanks in advance!

I don't think these clay filled devices are storage heaters at all, although if they are the ones I am thinking about, they have the most misleading blurb that tries to give that impression - if so stay well clear. Can you post more details please.
  • amtrakuk
    Options
    jooocie wrote: »
    Thanks Amtrakuk,

Thats really helpful information. But it just seems a little bit crazy to me, because when winter comes I'll be using my 3kW normal heater for hours at a time anyway! And that will be when I am trying to cook, wash up, hoover, etc at the same time! You would have thought the overall load on the main would be less of a problem at night time :rolleyes:

I guess there are no options for me to do anything here then except to stick with peak time eletric heating then. Sobs! :(

Don't do the same sort of mistake I did. Plug 2 3kw heaters on the same ring main. We suspect the fridge clicking in was the straw that broke the camels back. My fuse box was literally blown apart!

It will cost a few £££ to setup storage heaters but ask your electricity supplier if they will fit an Economy 7, or sometimes called a White Meter. I phoned Eon late night and they said they will for £50.

I'd pay a bit more for day rate but 4.9p a unit between 12:30 and 7:30 so its quite attractive.
  • amtrakuk
    Options
    isobel81 wrote: »
    Kalirel - don't do it!!!!!!! I have them. They are EXTORTIONATE to run. I want to cry when I look at my electricity bills....Unfortunately my landlord is deluded and thinks they are energy efficient. I am looking to move because I simply can't afford my electricity bill any more.

I did wonder at them. The Hippy shopper on youtube says they are really efficient. In reality they are no more or less efficient than my Glen oil filled radiators .

Sorry to hear you're going though hell with you're electric bill.
  • amtrakuk
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I don't think these clay filled devices are storage heaters at all, although if they are the ones I am thinking about, they have the most misleading blurb that tries to give that impression - if so stay well clear. Can you post more details please.

Is it EHC Radiators your thinking of? http://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/Radaitor%20brochure.pdf
  • Cardew
    Options
    amtrakuk wrote: »
    Is it EHC Radiators your thinking of?

There are a whole mass of firms, like that one, marketing radiators filled with gel/clay/ or some other substance. For instance the ones you link to talk of Magmatic tablets.

From time to time they try to spam MSE with their outrageous claims.

All of them avoid stating that they produce exactly the same amount of heat as any other cheap electrical heater.

The cost of these systems is absolutely huge - I have seen prices of £thousands and yet they are the most expensive way to heat your house available.
  • amtrakuk
    Options
    True.. They are no better than a £20 fan heater although they do claim you can heat the whole house from a remote control.
  • Cardew
    Options
    True.. They are no better than a £20 fan heater although they do claim you can heat the whole house from a remote control.

I think all oil filled radiators and convector heaters now have a thermostat.

You can buy remote control devices to switch on an appliance supply for a few pounds, or buy simple timer switches so they come on when you want - 30 mins before you get up etc.
  • isobel81
    Options
    I did wonder at them. The Hippy shopper on youtube says they are really efficient. In reality they are no more or less efficient than my Glen oil filled radiators .

Sorry to hear you're going though hell with you're electric bill.

Hi Amtrakuk (and anyone else considering Kalirel heaters!)

I watched The Hippy Shopper on YouTube too and cringed knowing how many people are going to watch her and take her advice......

I think I am right in saying that she had only just had them installed when she made and posted that vid though....in which case she hadn't yet seen the proof of her claims ie her electricity bill and was therefore unwittingly doing Kalirel's dirty work for them!!

I wish I had a webcam and was more technologically minded! But I will do my best to spread the word on forums like this so that others don't make the same mistake.....
  • nesssie1702
    Options
    Hello there!

Many thanks in advance!

Not sure if these are the ones that you mean, but I've seen the Elka heaters advertised recently and they are German. Funnily enough though, you can't find any info on their prices anywhere on the internet. I contacted the local supplier who indicated that it all depends on the room size. i.e. he'd have to come out and measure and then quote - sounds a bit like a hard sell to me.....:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport