storage heaters/electric central heating or gas?

Options

Comments

• Elsa06
    Elsa06 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your very rapid response.

I thought (stupidly) that they were't that expensive but as I have oil central heating which is extremely inexpensive to run, I have no way of comparing. So, probably best for them to purchase a couple of halogen heaters and turn off the storage heating!

Elsa
  • Chrislincs
    Chrislincs Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    Long time no post, but I have been keepimg an eye on the conversations. I live in a sprawling 8 roomed detached bungalow, in a gas-free rural location. Our storage heaters have earned their keep over the last 30 yrs. - and some are still the original, with no servicing and replacement of boilers, leaking rads, or other costs incurred by other ch systems. we run all appiances on off peak set timers, and our bill is £109 pcm. This seems to compare favourably with other similar properties no matter what form of heating they have, but we are of the generation that always expected to wear warmer clothes in the winter, and do have a log burner in the lounge. Our now gas-spoiled offspring, and theirs, feel the coolness of our home, and I will admit to lack of seasonal manageability in our ever-less-predictable climate.
    However, we are probably going to be moving in a year or so and the heating is becoming a worry as the anti s.h. feeling seems to be so strong these days. As there is the possibility of a windfall before the end of this year I am looking into what to change to, if anything. It seems to me that most postees on here feel that electric boilers are dear to run. Oil and LPG require unsightly storage/deliveries, and solid fuel is out of the question. As all will require fitting the whole wet rad system the cost is likely to involve a lot of redecoration, even if I carefully choose rads to hide the bare patches on the walls left by removing the SHs. We already have solar water heating, which is brilliant, in bright long days, and ideally I would like air source pumps but can't seem to get a rough idea on costs. I realise that they are going to vary from one home to another but some general figures must be available somewhere? Do they need regular maintainance like other boilers? Can they only be used for wet heating? Does anyone out there have any experience of them? There are lots of sales peolpe at shows, but they are biased - and vague when I try to tie them down. What do they really cost to run, since they do need some grid power to pump? Does anyone have any other ideas to help us with this problem. All input will be gratefully received.
    Confused Chris
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Chris,

I take it you have read this thread?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=702257

You can use ASHPs without wet heating. However they are then like huge fan heaters. If your heat input(several kWs of heat and enough to roast you) is in your lounge - how do you get heat to the bedrooms without building in ducting?

ASHPs I understand require little maintenance as the are basically a fridge working in reverse.

They are often used 'stand alone' for, say, a conservatory.

Regarding Storage Heating, you made the point very well last time you posted that they certainly have cost advantages; not least the lack of maintenance required.

Is it not a possibility to get more modern SHs like the Dimplex duo heat and simply put up with the extra daytime running cost as needs arise - like the "gas-spoiled" offspring visit.

They are not a huge price to install as you already have the wiring. If you are moving soon they will look good and modern.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That has to be good MSE advice - put some more clothes on in the winter. I really hate being in overheated buildings.
    Happy chappy
  • housemaid_3
    Options
    Hi,
    have been reading through the thread to try and find anyone who has actually used kalirel or ecowarm radiators. We are looking to replace storage heaters and both these systems seem to give the option of remotely controlling each room and keeping tabs on useage etc. which would appear to be a good thing. I realise that the majority of comments on this forum are against this type of system on a running cost basis but there is no gas, nowhere to fit an oil tank or gshp and I have lived with a solid fuel system before and the mess turned me off of that idea. Night stores make it far too hot at night and we can change to economy 10 quite easily.
    The info on these systems can be misleading but the idea of keeping the rooms we use warm when we are in them and not wasting energy when not there appeals. Has anyone used them please?
  • Cardew
    Options
    housemaid wrote: »
    The info on these systems can be misleading but the idea of keeping the rooms we use warm when we are in them and not wasting energy when not there appeals. Has anyone used them please?

Welcome to the forum.

The points you make in your post are perfectly logical, and there is no doubt that the convenience of electrical heating is appealing.

My biggest objection to these systems that run on daytime electrical electricity, is that the installers pretend that they somehow produce more heat than any other electrical heater - and they don't!

They cost a huge amount to install for what they are, and cost exactly the same to run as any other electrical heater.

If you want to find out how much they cost to run, buy some £20 heaters and use them and the cost will be the same.

Why pay £thousands to produce the same heat?
  • ACEELECLTD
    ACEELECLTD Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Bexm,
    I hope that i can help you make an informed decision as to which form of heating would suit you best. I would like to express a professional interest here though in a few of the products that are available. I have had experience of installing most forms of electrical heating including Storage heating systems from Dimplex, Heatstore, Creda and several other 'own brand' heaters from wholesalers. In fact I used to specify Dimplex Storage heaters and also their combination heaters (CXL) for sociall housing projects. I have also been involved in installation and specifying Heatrae Sadia AMPtec electric water boilers. I have also been involved in the installation of the Kalirel range of heaters and through the last 5 months have worked out pro's and cons for most of the systems available in addition to becoming a stockist / installer of these systems, however I am not exclusive to any particular type or brand of heating system.
    I apologise for not reading through all the 11 pages of text however would like to point out that their are lots of various systems out there that depending on your needs may suit you
  • Cardew
    Options
    ACEELECLTD wrote: »
    I have also been involved in the installation of the Kalirel range of heaters and through the last 5 months have worked out pro's and cons for most of the systems available in addition to becoming a stockist / installer of these systems, however I am not exclusive to any particular type or brand of heating system.

Welcome back. - I think.

Perhaps the best reason not to get people banned for posting on this board to advertise their services, is to let then condem themselves by the claims.

Anyone thinking of the Kalirel system would be advised to read this thread and see the the type of claim made by ACEELECLTD!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=240098&page=2
  • ACEELECLTD
    ACEELECLTD Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Cardew,
    when we had our last discussion I thought that you may actually have a point about what you said. I went away and gained some more experience from actually installing various systems and then talking to the people as to how they found the system. You seem not to have evolved yourself and challenged your own opinions and views on a modern form of heating. It is so easy to to trawl back in time and take a quote that is now out of date. I am sure that 6months ago you could find a quote from someone saying that Bluray will never be adopted and that HD-DVD is the only decent format. Please try to be objective with your advice and be open to change. incedentally , just to check.. have you any relation to anyone involved with Dimplex storage heaters or profitted from continually pushing the worth of Storage heaters. What would you say have said to James Dyson if he came on here 7years ago and made the claim that his Vacuum cleaner invention would be the system for the future. Stop taking cheap shots, grow up and get into a sensible debate as to the pros and cons of the various heating systems. ps I have a home video of myself aged4 making wild claims on Xmas eve of the fact that Father Xmas is going to bring me presents and my older brother is lying when he says it is was my parents who did this. Lets have a grown up, serious response please
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ACEELECLTD wrote: »
    What would you say have said to James Dyson if he came on here 7years ago and made the claim that his Vacuum cleaner invention would be the system for the future.

I would have said "Why should I buy a Dyson cleaner when for half the price I can get a Numatic which, despite old technology, performs at least as well and doesn't suffer from burned out motors or silly bits of plastic breaking off?", but perhaps I'm a luddite......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure