Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Madeleine's Fund : Leaving No Stone Unturned

Options

Comments

• Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree lisyloo Maddys parents dont need reminding.!!
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • emmaroids
    emmaroids Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Options
    just an observation but the other day i heard that maddys parents were out and the twins was at a childminders,
    sorry but my other kids would not leave my side for a hell of a long time after something like that.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sorry but my other kids would not leave my side for a hell of a long time after something like that

Well I would suspect that they may have had discussions with the police (and maybe others like MPs) about subjects such as murder or sexual abuse etc. so not sure that you would want your kids with you when discussing such subjects or when travelling all over the place.
    There are probably some things best not shared with the children (such as abject grief).
    Of course anyone would want to make sure they were in the best possible hands.
  • RACHIE77
    RACHIE77 Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont think that the parents need reminding - they need telling!! There has not been a single time they have been accused of negligence and whilst i'm sure they are going through hell i actually think they are in cuckoo land as they really dont think they have done anything wrong, which is pretty worrying even now!!

I heard on the news the other day a relative who was basically sticking up for their actions of leaving the kids, and thats what i think is wrong, if they had held their hands up and admitted what they did was wrong then that would make me think they had learnt some sort of lesson but i really dont think they have???

And as for having discussions with the police etc - I dont see any police with them when they are strolling along the beach or going to the church, all I see is them without their twins, on their own - and I certainly wouldn't leave my kids out of my sight!!!
    Official DFW Nerd 210 :D
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    There are probably some things best not shared with the children (such as abject grief).

I would have thought they should share, that's how children get screwed up;)
  • Ianna
    Ianna Posts: 581 Forumite
    Options
    My heart goes out to Maddy's family, they must be hurting so much. It doesn't however mean I think it's OK to neglect your children. This was neglect. This wasn't a turn your back for a second and something happens, or a busy mum thinking she could nip into the kitchen to quickly do washing and the child hurts themselves - this was parents knowingly, deliberately and needlessly leaving their children alone for a significant amount of time. Poor Maddy being snatched (if that's what happened) was statistically unlikely but it was highly likely that one of the children could tumble out of bed, wander off, wake up and be frightened and upset or been hurt in heck knows how many other ways.

The Express and The Mail would be running hateful slogans if it was a single mom and we all know it, things like "Single mom chooses booze over baby" and what not. If it was a council estate family or an immigrant family they'd be slated. Just because they're middle class doesn't mean that it wasn't child neglect.

I don't understand why this one case is getting so much press and money. Given that 10 million under 5s will die this year from easily preventable and therefore cheap causes I really think this money would be better spent elsewhere.
  • emmaroids
    emmaroids Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Options
    Ianna wrote: »
    My heart goes out to Maddy's family, they must be hurting so much. It doesn't however mean I think it's OK to neglect your children. This was neglect. This wasn't a turn your back for a second and something happens, or a busy mum thinking she could nip into the kitchen to quickly do washing and the child hurts themselves - this was parents knowingly, deliberately and needlessly leaving their children alone for a significant amount of time. Poor Maddy being snatched (if that's what happened) was statistically unlikely but it was highly likely that one of the children could tumble out of bed, wander off, wake up and be frightened and upset or been hurt in heck knows how many other ways.

The Express and The Mail would be running hateful slogans if it was a single mom and we all know it, things like "Single mom chooses booze over baby" and what not. If it was a council estate family or an immigrant family they'd be slated. Just because they're middle class doesn't mean that it wasn't child neglect.

I don't understand why this one case is getting so much press and money. Given that 10 million under 5s will die this year from easily preventable and therefore cheap causes I really think this money would be better spent elsewhere.

with the exeption of a few `bleeding hearts`, most folks who i have spoke to agree with this completely,it just goes to establish even more the class divide we face in this country.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those thinking about donating to the fund, please be aware that it has been refused charitable status.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Tulip
    Tulip Posts: 29,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    For those thinking about donating to the fund, please be aware that it has been refused charitable status.

thanks Errata,where did you hear about this? was it on Sky news?

Katie :D
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Options
    TAG wrote: »
    The OP started this thread in an attempt to raise awareness of the website the family have set up. Though I think the entire country is by now fully aware of it's existence.

Comments over the rights and wrongs of this case, especially an opinion expressed by mystic_trev, aren't helpful or plesant to read for that matter.

If any mods are reading I think this thread should be locked as was a previous one on this topic.
    Why lock the thread? What is so taboo about questioning this whole scenario? The op is suggesting that people donate money to a fund, isn't it right that the fund itself is scrutinised? Shouldn't people be aware of just exactly what they are contributing to? Shouldn't those that read the thread have an opportunity of making their minds up based on both sides of the story not just one?
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport