Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Emorp wrote: »

So it seems if you're willing to go through with the cancellation, you might get somewhere.

As has been stated many, many of times, on here.
  • J_Douglas
    Options
    Hi, I have been a Sky customer for 13 years and since moving to our present address have not bothered to ring them after our initial cheaper deal on moving. Rang them today to say Virgin keep offering us amazing deals (which they do) so I am leaving and they immediately knocked £20 per month off for a full 12 months! Thanks for all the advice I read and followed on this site!!
  • froggy
    froggy Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    My contract with plus net had 3 weeks to go and I wanted to upgrade to unlimited broadband which would have cost me £9.99.I rang and told them I was planning to move to EE as new customers get broadband for £2.50 plus Line rental for £11 if you pay for a year up front.I was put through to another department and without any haggling I was offered the new customer deal-broadband £2.50,line rental 12.99 and£75 cash back.I will save £152.40 over the next year compared to what I paid over the last year. I can't believe it was so easy.
  • stephenp889
    Options
    "The best way to barter with VM is to call 150 on their phone or use the 0845 contact number on the website and select thr "thinking of leaving" option. This takes you to UK retentions who have access to better discount options than standard customer support. There's no need to threaten leaving - just ask what deals they can offer."

I did this. I have TV "L" and a second box, phone with anytime calls and 20MB broadband. Getting same TV, same phone, BB increase to 50MB (I think they are rolling that out anyway) new Tivo box, new HD box in second room, new router and £11 per month less.

Works for me.
  • dumpallhere
    dumpallhere Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2014 at 6:42PM
    Options
    My experience with Sky here and here.
  • Martint
    Options
    Why bother paying money to SKY = Murdoch. Remember hacking? Milly Dowler? I decided to dump them in favour of a PVR, and they tried hard to retain me: cheap rental for 6 months, extra packages, pleading phone calls. The poor agents' script had no answers to 'If you can offer me these deals now, how come I've been paying so much more more for less for so long?' Or : 'Murdoch is a crook (IMHO) and I am not going to give him money'.

Ok, I've no interest in sport and Freesat gives me all I want (and more) and this might not suit everyone but talking to the retailers it is clear many are dumping SKY for the same reasons I have.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Martint wrote: »
    Why bother paying money to SKY = Murdoch. Remember hacking? Milly Dowler? I decided to dump them in favour of a PVR, and they tried hard to retain me: cheap rental for 6 months, extra packages, pleading phone calls. The poor agents' script had no answers to 'If you can offer me these deals now, how come I've been paying so much more more for less for so long?' Or : 'Murdoch is a crook (IMHO) and I am not going to give him money'.

Ok, I've no interest in sport and Freesat gives me all I want (and more) and this might not suit everyone but talking to the retailers it is clear many are dumping SKY for the same reasons I have.

Spot on. Wouldn't touch Sky with a very long bargepole. Far too expensive, plus the Murdoch connection.

Freeview plus a Humax gives us all we need at a much lower cost.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My SKY 12 months will be up on the 28th of this month. So far I pay £7.50 per month and have no line rental charge as this has been discounted for the duration of my contract. Of course phone calls at peak day times are expensive.

Is it likely that Sky will start charging me for a phone line rental when this contract goes over the 28th ?
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone ?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    My SKY 12 months will be up on the 28th of this month. So far I pay £7.50 per month and have no line rental charge as this has been discounted for the duration of my contract. Of course phone calls at peak day times are expensive.

Is it likely that Sky will start charging me for a phone line rental when this contract goes over the 28th ?

Of course they will charge full price and , if you don't have tv, broadband will be £10.

You need to order somewhere else or haggle now, if you don't want to stray into full payment .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback