Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• glennamy
    glennamy Posts: 2,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 June 2014 at 10:54AM
    Options
    Just chatted with Sky online (no call charges) and stated I was struggling with my bills. I am on the £21.50 Entertainment package.

They first offered me a reduction of £2.35, which I declined, so they offered me £10 a month for 12 month contract, that is a reduction of £11.50, a 53.5% discount!:D

So chuffed! :j
    Can't Smile Without You
  • sellingmysoul666
    Options
    I had my renewal letter form the rac they were asking for £175
    I checked how much it would cost for a new customer online - £139
    rang the Freephone number and asked to cancel as it was cheaper online
    He initially said he could change it to £149 due to the number of call outs I had had.
    So i said I would cancel again.
    He asked his supervisor and said they would match the online price
    saved £36 and the phone call was even a Freephone one :j
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been with AOL since 2004 when I got my first computer Over the years I had changed to phone line and calls etc Each time I have spoken to them they have come up with a new deal for me which has always been to my advantage I called them to ask about BB speed and got through to Talk Talk I was only paying £4 20 plus line rental for BB all local national and international phone calls
    I know AOL are not taking any new customers and were keen to change me to TT I was not keen to do this but they offer me free line rental for 12 months £5 for BB and Local and National calls plus £3 50 for international calls They said they would give me the first month free and a £20 credit to my AOL account Having thought it through if I deduct everything looks like I will be paying only £53 for the year Free modem and no connection charge or fee for leaving the AOl account I have agreed to this and while next year the fees will be different if I pay the line rental up from I can make a saving of £50 my Daughter has been with Tiscali TT since 2000 without a problem and whilst AOL have a poor rating on things like WHICH I personally have not had any problems I have now made the switch and managed to set up the new router and change my TV Phone Kindle etc without a problem so for now I am happy
    I had a headache when I came off the phone as she was determinded to make a deal with me Twice she put me on hold and came back with a better deal Sue
  • hop3y
    hop3y Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just set up with PlusNet via their web chat, asked if they could do anything better and I got an offer of £50 cashback straight away.

Worth a try people!
  • Saving_Sarah
    Options
    Spoke to sky this weekend and told them i was walking away - went through three different people to get to the cancellations team. Free broadband and 50% off line rental so I'm in for another year - but next year I'll put a reminder in my calendar to call as soon as I'm out of contract period Thanks MSE !!
  • jwed2000
    jwed2000 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I called sky a couple of months ago to tell them the £100 a month bill was just too much (£120 including phone calls), they could only suggest dropping channels or the 2nd box. I wrote to the CEO and some head of customer services, I got a call back but still only suggesting the same.
    My question is that whilst I am happy with what we have, my gripe is the cost, I don't really want to leave. How far should I take my threats to leave, should I actually cancel?
  • DonnySaver
    DonnySaver Posts: 563 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 July 2014 at 1:05PM
    Options
    glennamy wrote: »
    Just chatted with Sky online (no call charges) and stated I was struggling with my bills. I am on the £21.50 Entertainment package.

They first offered me a reduction of £2.35, which I declined, so they offered me £10 a month for 12 month contract, that is a reduction of £11.50, a 53.5% discount!:D

So chuffed! :j

I've just been offered a similar deal. Been on a 50% off package for 12 months. Currently paying £12/month instead of £23.50 for Sky TV only. Went to cancel via the Cancellation online chat facility. I've been offered my same package for £13.50/month instead of £23.50/month but I need to go into a new 12 month contract.

I've been given some thinking time to ponder it as I am weary that the price will go up in September (although I've been told by no more than £1). Anyone think this is the best I will get out of them? I tried to not enter a new contract but they wouldn't have it.

I can still cancel if I want to and they will honour todays date as my notice of cancellation.
  • glenrothes
    glenrothes Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the TalkTalk essentials package. I have 2 months left on my 12 month contract, and am moving house in 1 month.

I went to the 'contact' page on the TalkTalk website, went through the drop down options to select leaving TalkTalk and used the phone number they had on there. Checking that number against others that come up when you select different options it, as I suspected, puts you directly through to retentions, so you are dealing instantly with someone with the authority to give you a deal.

I was polite, cheerful, but very blunt. I said I was moving and that EE currently has the best price available for a new contract, and asked what they could do for me to keep me as a customer.

With no hassle they halved the cost of the line rental - meaning a total of 19.45 a month went down to 11.50(ish). This came at a cost of another 12 month contract, but I'm moving in the same postcode area and have been fine with the service they had gave me, so more than happy to be in a new contract if it saves me that much.

Hope that inspires anyone in a similar end of contract situation :)
  • iamashoppingaddict
    Options
    Well after receiving the letter from sky yesterday telling me that my bill was going up by £1.25 I decided to look into alternatives.

I pay in total £59 to sky each month for TV, Phone (which we don't use!) and fibre broadband.

I can get the same type of package with TalkTalk for £30 for the first 6 months and then £44 after that.

I called sky to discuss and got through to retentions and all I got offered was 35% of TV for a year and half price fibre for 6 months.

So for 6 months it would be £41 a month and then after that it would be £51. Not really any of these great savings that everyone has been talking about here.

I've been with them for 5 years (as she told me!). I told her what I could get from Talk Talk and she just told me to 'look at the reviews for TT'.

Anyway I left it that I would think about it and she is going to call me back on Monday. In the meantime I will do some more research!
  • Emorp
    Emorp Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    15 years on the full package, including phone and broadband, so we set our sights on getting the 50% off deal offered to new customers, and if possible the vouchers too.
    2 pretty long calls to the 'thinking of leaving' dept were met with a paltry offer of £10 off a bill set to top £90 a month.

We decided to cancel and gave notice. A couple of days later, a call from the retention team.
    A more serious discussion, we held out and after a couple of interim offers, we got 50% off the TV package for 12 months plus £100 credit in lieu of the voucher which he couldn't offer.

We have not reduced our package at all and knocked £460 off this year's bill.
    So it seems if you're willing to go through with the cancellation, you might get somewhere.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback