Tmobile price increase

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    !

The other good thing of course is that it will cost EE more than the price rise for our individual cases, but in the grand scheme of things unless ofcom do something positive - like force EE to re-write to ALL customers who could have cancelled and offer them that opportunity, then EE will still be laughing all the way to the bank - still, one step at a time.

It would be fair to say this whole saga must be having an impact on OFCOM, the awful way t-mobile have handled the matter might well be enough to see mid term price increases banned. It happened at a pretty good time as I'm sure the decision makers at OFCOM were considering that proposal around the same time this all started.
    ====
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Also notice that the Express are carrying the story - which is interesting as they always delete my emails without reading them - so I think I'll have to call them.

If you are relying on read receipts for this then it's worth pointing out that the read receipt tag is easily stripped out on the servers or the mail client can be told to ignore or not respond to such requests.

Similarly most of the web tracking mechanisms such as web beacons can also be removed or defeated by network firewalls and proxies.

Knowing someone has read emails is possible, but such solutions are usually not simple to use, and unless it's simple or the user really needs to read the email they won't bother.
  • anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    CISAS were due to give a decision on my case by 10 June, but I received an email from them yesterday:

"Further to our previous correspondence, we write to advise that the original appointed adjudicator is unable to make a decision in the above matter due to unforeseeable circumstances and therefore a substitute adjudicator has been appointed".

I've emailed CISAS (but no reply) to ask what the "unforseeable circumstances" were, and also whether this means another 3 week wait - I'm assuming it does, so very frustrating.

I'm guessing the case has been passed on as a stalling tactic, but like to think that maybe the original adjudicator has some morals and wasn't prepared to show bias towards TM and find in their favour :)
  • SysyphusRex
    SysyphusRex Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 June 2013 at 5:55PM
    Options
    While I am very "late to the party" on this, I have what is perhaps a new twist on the issue.

I only joined T-Mobile in April 2013 and the first I heard about a price increase was an SMS message that I received in late May 2013. It stated :-
    From 9 May 2013 we changed some of our prices. The price of your monthly plan has increased by 3.3% to £xx.xx which is an extra £x.xx each month. But as you've just taken out a new contract you'll see this increase as a credit for 6 months on bills from 9 May. For more information visit hxxp://t-mobile.co.uk/pricechanges

I looked for the current Ts&Cs in "My Account" on the T-Mobile website, but they had been removed and replaced with a page stating :-
    "MUNCH. BUUUURP."

Sorry about this but the page you were after
    has obviously been gobbled up by our greedy Android Bot.

I did eventually find them elsewhere on the website. I called T-Mobile to complain about the fact that I had not been given the contractual 30 days notice and that, based on clause 7.2.3.3 which stated "...published on a date as close as reasonably possible before the date on which We send You Written Notice”, this clearly referred to April's RPI figure of 2.9% RPI which was published on 21st May 2013, and that consequently, I was entitled to cancel my contract without penalty.

The representative told me that I should not have received the SMS because (as a new customer) I was exempt and that it had been sent to other customers in March and April. I pointed out the sheer absurdity of what he was telling me based on the following :-
    1. The SMS referred to the price increase in the past tense and could not reasonably have been sent out in March or April.
    2. The SMS referred to the fact that I had only recently taken out a contract and was being credited for the following six months to partially compensate for the increase.
    He persisted with the claim that it was "not for me" and told me not to worry. I asked for written confirmation of that and an assurance that I would not be subjected to a "corrected" increase next month. He assured me that he was "200%" certain that I would not be and agreed to send me a further SMS. I pointed out my concern that this was simply a ploy to cover a mistake and that I was reserving my right to cancel the contract without penalty should I receive an increase in the future. Surprisingly, he freely agreed that I had the right to do this and I left it at that.

I received an SMS shortly afterwards stating :-
    Thanks for your call. Please disregard the RPI increase message that was forwarded to your mobile. Thanks

Anyone else in a similar situation ?
    Should I "wait and see" or cancel based on the breach of contract ?

SysyphusRex
    (Apologies for such a longwinded first post, but I thought it might contribute something new to the discussion.)
  • d123
    edited 6 June 2013 at 6:15PM
    Options
    anna2007 wrote: »
    CISAS were due to give a decision on my case by 10 June, but I received an email from them yesterday:

"Further to our previous correspondence, we write to advise that the original appointed adjudicator is unable to make a decision in the above matter due to unforeseeable circumstances and therefore a substitute adjudicator has been appointed".

I've emailed CISAS (but no reply) to ask what the "unforseeable circumstances" were, and also whether this means another 3 week wait - I'm assuming it does, so very frustrating.

I'm guessing the case has been passed on as a stalling tactic, but like to think that maybe the original adjudicator has some morals and wasn't prepared to show bias towards TM and find in their favour :)

While I'm not holding my breath while I wait ;), today was the day T-Mobile/EE had to respond by:
    CISAS wrote:
    we have now accepted your application and have requested the company to submit their defence or confirm settlement on or before 6th June 2013.

No contact from Extremely Expensive, or from CISAS. Lets see what happens next....
    ====
  • stoney73
    stoney73 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    While I'm not holding my breath while I wait ;), today was the day T-Mobile/EE had to respond by:

No contact from Extremely Expensive, or from CISAS. Lets see what happens next....

Same here, EE have already used their 7 day extension, I'm interested in the reasons behind this further delay.
  • RandomCurve
    RandomCurve Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    Options
    stoney73 wrote: »
    Same here, EE have already used their 7 day extension, I'm interested in the reasons behind this further delay.

I thought all this legal stuff was supposed to be time bound? Seems EE are playing for time to cook up new tricks/put new pressure on. Can't you contact CISAS and ask them why the rules are being "bent" and contact ofcom?

Today is the day - I have waited 8 weeks and can now contact CISAS, but.......as I'm going on holiday for a week shortly I will have to wait and submit my case on 18th just in case I miss a response from T-Mobile, and then suddenly all the time rules will be applied again and I would have missed my chance!!!
  • RandomCurve
    Options
    SysyphusRex

Yes, funny how the T&Cs disappeared like that!

If you read your T&Cs the mere fact they contacted you about a price rise is enough to trigger your cancellation rights, even if they then cancel the rise - unless your case was a genuine accident - you will see in your next bill if they have applied the increase and then applied a credit.

By the way the credit is EEs way of sticking two fingers up at Ofcom and applying a price rise to contracts that will become effective after Ofcom has ruled if price rises will be allowed in future (it is widely speculated that they will not allow increases). The sad thing is Ofcom are too -

stupid/scared/ineffective/sleepy/lazy/busy/confused - pick your own word,

to notice when EE are taking the Pee!

• d123
    Options
    I thought all this legal stuff was supposed to be time bound? Seems EE are playing for time to cook up new tricks/put new pressure on. Can't you contact CISAS and ask them why the rules are being "bent" and contact ofcom?

Today is the day - I have waited 8 weeks and can now contact CISAS, but.......as I'm going on holiday for a week shortly I will have to wait and submit my case on 18th just in case I miss a response from T-Mobile, and then suddenly all the time rules will be applied again and I would have missed my chance!!!

A week? I wouldn't be concerned about a T-Mobile response in a week for 2 reasons.

Firstly they have 14 days to respond (in an ideal world), in reality my case has been with CISAS since the last week of April and T-Mobile haven't made contact or apparently even supplied a defence to CISAS in all that time.
    ====
  • RandomCurve
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    A week? I wouldn't be concerned about a T-Mobile response in a week for 2 reasons.

Firstly they have 14 days to respond (in an ideal world), in reality my case has been with CISAS since the last week of April and T-Mobile haven't made contact or apparently even supplied a defence to CISAS in all that time.

I thought CISAS were meant to rule on a case just on your facts if the company does not submit a defence? Very strange.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure