MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
71 replies 12.3K views

Replies

• Morgana_2Morgana_2 Forumite
    2 Posts
    It's up to Chelsea whether she smokes and Hilary certainly shouldn't be encouraging her in this harmful habit by providing cheap fags. The more Chelsea has to pay, the more likely she is to do herself and her offspring a favour by deciding to quit.
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more Chelsea has to pay, the more likely she is to do herself and her offspring a favour by deciding to quit.
    Sorry, but that's highly unlikely to happen. All she's going to do is (a) source cheaper fags elsewhere or (b) switch to a cheaper brand.

Of all the possible reasons for giving up, I can assure you that the price going up is not going to be one of them.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Morally Hilary should not buy Chelsea's cigarettes as she disapproves of the habit and if she bought the cigarettes she would be a hypocrite.

Moneysavingly Hilary should buy the cigarettes as they are way over priced in this country. It would cost around £100 to buy that many cigarettes in this country compared to around £40 elsewhere.

Not really much of a dilemna - it all depends where Hilary's priorities lie. Virtuosity or Consumer Revenge.

I don't have much time for morals and I'm a smoker.
    £2 savers club = £16
  • DaisiesDaisies Forumite
    256 Posts
    She shouldn't buy them if she is so disapproving of Chelsea's habit.

She would really be Moneysaving if she encouraged her to give up - maybe by helping her buy nicotine patches or by providing emotional support etc. Then they'd all be better off - health wise and financially.
  • MichA_3MichA_3 Forumite
    9 Posts
    If Chelsea wants to smoke, she should either get them herself or go to spain to get them cheaper. If there something that I was doing that my mother didnt like, I can be sure she wont support me with it. its about living with the consequences of what you choose to do. People CAN give up smoking, like my dad gave up a habit of more than 40 years, because he wanted to, not due to any ill health or whatever. and also because its becoming too expensive for him... if he can do it and is feeling the financial pinch... then....

p.s well said curriej99. and watchout stogiebear, you could fall off that high horse!
  • You can only bring 200 cigarettes from abroad including the EU if they are not for your own personal consumption. The rules which allow you to bring 'as much as you like' from the EU are only for you and not for anyone else who has not travelled. Therefore Hilary maybe in trouble if Customs stop her and she can't prove that they are for her own use.
    Anyway, if she doesn't think it is right she can always use this legal excuse.
    ;)
    Triple S :beer:
  • Martin_EdneyMartin_Edney Forumite
    24 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Take the original post, Hilary's strong objection to smoking, then substitute cigarette related references for something like heroin, and see if the question is clearer:
    "Hilary is nipping off to Spain for a long weekend; her daughter Chelsea wants her to buy 40 wraps of heroin as they're a fraction of the price over there and she'll save serious cash. Yet Hilary hates heroin and especially the fact that Chelsea scores in the house where her 5 year old son (and Hilary's grandson) little Bill lives; however if she doesn't buy them Chelsea will buy them elsewhere and they'll be much more costly."

Apart from the question of legality, I think the moral question is the same no matter what the substance is. If you strongly dislike it, don't condone someone else's consumption by helping them purchase.
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    then substitute cigarette related references for something like heroin, and see if the question is clearer:
    I'm sorry, but am I the only person who fails to see a legitimate analogy here?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Buying them sends a message that she condones her smoking. NO!!!!!!
    Never pass up the opportunity to take a pee!:p
  • mh1923mh1923 Forumite
    525 Posts
    I never understood how addictive nicotine was until the day my father in law died. We disconnected him from life support and he very slowly suffocated to death. Then his wife, his son, and his step-daughter all went outside to smoke.

After that, I stopped buying cigarettes for my husband. He was free to kill himself if he liked, but damned if I was going to help him.
    Hi, I'm Mich :o
    I won a years supply of Comfort fabric softener in November 2013 - more than half remains...
    2015 survey proceeds £115.36
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals