PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD for me today, second of the month. Pleased with that. Don't want to tempt fate but am feeling focused.

Cooked pasta bake with Sainsbury YS sausages that cost me 54p, this was followed by Basics rice pudding and fresh fruit - I can't remember if this is 17p a tin or 22p, we had two tins between 4 and it was lovely, can really recommend it. I prefer the taste to home made.

Tomorrow am going to have duck legs in orange sauce with Basics rice, might put some left over pineapple through it, with veg. Sounds expensive but duck was from vouchers I won. Will also make some flapjacks tomorrow with Jordans oats from the 99p Store (always feel should mention I have a creative work connection with them) for packed lunches.

I've been totting up budgets for next 3 months tonight, the GC is making a real difference thank you, loved the tip about buying seasonal veg rather than

sticking to say broccoli and carrots as I have done so often, thank you, it's another way of thinking on here that when you think about it is so straightforward and simple and must be the sensible approach for so many, makes me feel daft for not doing that before, but then I've never given my finances such close attention. Hope it's not too stupid to ask, is there a calendar somewhere for which veg is in season when?

Oh no, wittering again. . .by the way becsxxx you haven't undone your hard work, I reckon you need treats and good times, life gets in the way of plans to cut down, and you can't put a price on good times IMHO xx

I've always wondered too. Here you go ...

http://eatseasonably.co.uk/what-to-eat-now/calendar/
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you K you are a complete star, I will be studying that closely. Another step I want to make more of, possibly, is frozen veg, well certainly peas as my kids eat them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Wow thanks for this Jackie0 I have never thought of using ground coriander instead of fresh, who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks eh just one question please,whats lazy garlic?.I grow wlld garlic and the bulbs but havent heard of this.

I buy a jar of Lazy Garlic from Sainsbobs and its about £1.60 odd.Its all chopped and ready to use and I can use as much or as little as I like.as I live alone a whole bulb would dry out before I could use it all up whereas a jar lasts me for a good 6 months or so.Its my one luxury that I indulge myself with. Plus of course having one arm that doesn't work very well I don't have to chop or peel it,You can also buy a jar of Lazy Ginger as well,chopped up and ready to use
  • hattifattener
    hattifattener Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I've always wondered too. Here you go ...

http://eatseasonably.co.uk/what-to-eat-now/calendar/

Thankyou for this. Will be reading after work.

On the subject of knowing how much pasta/rice to use etc, I love the lovefoodhatewaste website for portion sizing and storage tips.

And as for bulk buying potatoes, I keep mine in a specified potato (or salad :p ) drawer in the bottom of my fridge, and since then have never had to chuck an old potato. I just refill as and when it's looking low - from the back to the front, of course. :)
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • Tales17
    Tales17 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Managed to be over £20 under budget last month - first time this year woohoo!! :j

Aiming for £500 this month! :)
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • sheeppappar
    sheeppappar Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the apple tip martas - will give it a shot

florenceem - my friend has just had her kitchen done and it is awesommmeee!! includes a refridgerated drawer where she keeps her veg etc.. i think this must be what a "cooling drawer" is. It just looks like a normal drawer matching the rest of her kitchen cabinets. Not sure strictly necessary but she did give me a serious case of kitchen envy last time I saw her :)

K9 - thanks for the season veg calendar.. will be checking that out

MrsC - frozen veg rule! I always have a bag of frozen peppers for chucking into bolognese, chilli, stir fry.. think they are about £1 a bag in heron/iceland/lidl etc and so handy just to have in. We also always have frozen cauli for sunday dinner cauli cheese.. a full cauli is too much between 2 and always in danger of going to waste...

moving day monday so using up the last fresh/frozen stuff before we go.. bean chilli from freezer with added bacon + baked beans + smoked paprika tomorrow... it's looking like sausage rolls, roast potatoes and cauliflower on thursday though he he!!

have a fab week all xx
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spend yesterday £4.28 on milk bread and fruit.
    I really must try again at bread making.
    I forgot my original total for first shop should have had something taken out that wasn't groceries so it should have been £73.51 bringing me to a total of £81.07 so far on day 4! Eek.
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • Mimmsie
    Mimmsie Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    We seem to be spending like there is no tomorrow. On Sunday Mr Mimmsie decided he fancied fish so he spent £10 in the fishmonger. Yesterday I bought washing powder, bin bags and tinned tomatoes which cost me £16.67.
    Aiming to be debt free as of Sept 2013
    Loan amount owing £193.66/£774.64.
    Joined GC June 2013
    June 13 GC £345.93/£300
    July 13 GC/£200
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is more i could do to reduce this, smaller portions (I never get the amount right for pasta and rice, and prob use more meat than necessary)

If it's any help, I weigh pasta every time I make it - 75g for me, 100g for my hungry OH, and apparently around 60g is what they recommend if you're dieting. Rice I measure in a measuring cup, 5 fluid ounces for 2 generous portions. HTH.
    LarLar wrote: »
    Ah thankyou i've just always assumed as soon as they sprout they were no good haha. Thankyou :)

I can assure you that sprouting potatoes are fine as I've eaten many a one and lived to tell the tale :rotfl:It's when they go spongey or mushy in texture you want to chuck them.

Spends to report as I've been remiss in posting here (spends mostly on Sunday, the bin bags beforehand, everything from Mr M but the rump steak which was from Mr S):

Fruit & veg £9.99
    Savers onions 1kg 49p
    Swede 71p
    Parsnips x2 (445g) 66p
    Aubergine £1
    Round lettuce 57p
    Spring onions 75p
    Radishes 50p
    Rocket leaves 80p
    Romaine lettuce £1.00
    Bananas x6 82p
    Living coriander £1
    Pre-cooked corn on the cob 2pk £1.69

Meat & fish £5
    Rump steak 475g £5

Dairy & eggs £1.52
    Meadow park milk 2ltrs 97p
    Baking fat 55p

Bread £1
    White rolls x12 £1

General £12.58
    Savers tuna x3 £1.77
    Savers honey 99p
    Vegetable oil 1ltr £1.35
    Strong white flour 1.5kg 80p
    Tinned mackerel in oil 89p
    Sunflower seeds 250g £1.85
    Cashews 200g £2
    Amoy straight to wok rice noodles £1.49
    Dried bay leaves 75p
    Dried oregano 69p

Household £2.72
    Savers kitchen roll £1.23
    Bin bags x10 £1.49

Mealplan:

Sun 2 - Chinese chicken curry with egg-fried rice (was lovely)
    Mon 3 - hummous, pittas and salads (aslso lovely, a favourite)
    Tues 4 - Asian-style beef salad (swapped to Wednesday now)
    Wed 5 - root vegetable casserole with cheesy dumpling (having this tonight)
    Thurs 6 - lentil moussaka with salad
    Fri 7 - I’m out – not sure what Dave will have yet but hopefully pasta which we have in as opposed to a takeaway (that comes out his own money anyway)
    Sat 8 - out for dinner for a friend's birthday (seem to be going out a lot lately :o)
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Pesto
    Pesto Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join this challenge?

I would like to try and keep to a budget of £180 for the month for two people. I know this is a lot but I'm trying to change my OH expensive tastes :(
    Total Debt [STRIKE]£6197[STRIKE] £6036

Surviving rather than living, one day that will change!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure