Always Packing Really Inexpensive Lunches - Apr 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

Options

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How I envy those of you that can have a stash of things at home to pick and choose from. I have a teenage son and if I left anything at home like that it'd not be there the next time I looked :rotfl:

I've been seriously off the wagon with another Greggs sausage roll yesterday but I'm back on today with ham and coleslaw in pitta bread, I should have enough for tomorrow and Friday too :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FatVonD - I'm dreading my youngest son becoming a teenager for exactly those reasons. He's 7 atm but already can't keep his feet out of the fridge :D then I go in there expecting to find food and it's gone! He eats cooked meat by the packet, cheese by the chunk and Weetabix only falls out of the packet in threes and fours according to him grrr :rotfl:He's taking after his father who is 6'2'', I just can't seem to fill him sometimes.

Well done for LTW today :T

Happy - I like the sound of your suggestion, unlike the fussy Twigster below :)

Twiggy - what the heck do you like to eat? :rotfl:No veg or salad, no strong flavours = rice or bread :D

Hi hohum :j

32b3 - lunch at 9.45, what's that all about then? :D

black cat - maybe you need to take a leaf out of 32b3's book and have lunch at another time :rotfl:

Great going everyone! :T
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • hohum
    hohum Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    urrgh up too late today and ended up spending £4 on lunch - punnet of grapes, salad, crisps and sparkling water. Plus bought my mum coffee because she had a card and they only took cash. God knows I owe her enough coffees (and she was meeting me to run through company set up) but it didn't help my spend today at all!
  • purpleheather2810
    Options
    I love this thread! When I used to work in an office and took my own sandwiches I would often eat them in the morning at my desk and have hardly anything left for lunch! Now I work in a school so am forced to wait until break/lunch time. On hols at the mo but I am making notes ready for going back to work on Mon. With a Tesco's down the road and the lure of school dinners (which are quite nice!) it's just too easy to make the wrong choice...
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
  • 32b3in2013
    32b3in2013 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kittiej wrote: »
    FatVonD - I'm dreading my youngest son becoming a teenager for exactly those reasons. He's 7 atm but already can't keep his feet out of the fridge :D then I go in there expecting to find food and it's gone! He eats cooked meat by the packet, cheese by the chunk and Weetabix only falls out of the packet in threes and fours according to him grrr :rotfl:He's taking after his father who is 6'2'', I just can't seem to fill him sometimes.

Well done for LTW today :T

Twiggy - what the heck do you like to eat? :rotfl:No veg or salad, no strong flavours = rice or bread :D

Hi hohum :j

32b3 - lunch at 9.45, what's that all about then? :D

black cat - maybe you need to take a leaf out of 32b3's book and have lunch at another time :rotfl:

Great going everyone! :T

I was really hungry and sandwich was already thawed out :D Today I ate my lunch at 11.30 and then bought a pot-shot to eat later :D its just one of those weeks I think! I will take a mug shot from home tomorrow, then I won't need to go out at lunchtime which will limit the damage!
    SPC9 #125 - £816.85
    SPC10 #125 - £851.81
    SPC 11 #7 - £968.46
    SPC 12 #7 - £2682.90
    SPC 13 #7 - £4829.85
    SPC 14 #7 - £4173.30
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options

You're not far off Kittie, I love bread (but only white), I've started occasionally eating rice in recent years (but again, only white), I've also started to enjoy pasta of late, but don't eat it that often. Pretty much any form of potato will do (but not sweet). In case you haven't worked it out yet, I'm a bit of a carb junkie ;)

Thankfully the few foods I do eat, I generally like A LOT. It's a running joke between friends that I only ever eat, ham egg & chips, or chicken and chips. I promise you, I'm not quite that bad lol.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • curlywurly82
    Options
    Last week was a bad week - not sure i took lunch once. However I went to the butchers, and oriental supermarket and tesco on Saturday so I should be able to manage 3 or four lunches this week.

I have made four chicken skewers - i marinated the chicken in garlic, chilli, soy sauce anda little bit of olive oil before I cooked them. I will have 2 tomorrow and 2 on Tuesday, both with some salad leaves, cherry tomato and a little bit of pepper. I bought a bottle of sweet chilli sauce and will decant some into a small pot to drizzle over the salad.

I've made a loaf of sun dried tomato bread today and will use some of this later in the week to make croutons and will hopefully do a sweet chilli chicken noodle salad with roasted peppers and courgettes.

they might not be terribly money saving lunches however one chicken breast will do two lunches. I have probably spent £12 on things for lunch ( but some of the things like noodles and sauce will last a few weeks). This is comparable to buying a cooked lunch each day at £4-£5.

Also i found an unopened bag of cous cous in my cupboard - no idea how long it has been there however if it is still in date I will be looking for some ideas for next week.
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone :j

Hope you are all happy and well :)

curlywurly and hohum - don't worry too much about your blip, it happens to most of us at some point :o

Twiggy - I used to know someone who would only eat white food, he wouldn't put up with any colour on his plate whatsoever :rotfl:

32b3 - ah I see, well if your sarnie has thawed out then it must have been ready for eating no matter what the time was :D the mug shots etc are a good idea in that case ;)

Hi purpleheather :j - sometimes we need a bit of structure in our lives. Glad you like the LTW thread :T

I am in a bit of a quandary about what to take tomorrow. I have leftover madras but it is very spicy and I'm not so sure my heartburn can cope with it atm. I have also found some cup a soups so might have one of those and take some bread and a yoghurt, although I have a curry pot noodle sitting on my desk which I should eat really because it's getting quite old. Maybe if I get rid of the curry flavour and have plain noodles with the mango sauce which is included - now that's an idea :idea: Oh and a chunk of chocolate to get me through the afternoon :D
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Twiggy_34
    Options
    Twiggy - I used to know someone who would only eat white food, he wouldn't put up with any colour on his plate whatsoever :rotfl:

I am in a bit of a quandary about what to take tomorrow. I have leftover madras but it is very spicy and I'm not so sure my heartburn can cope with it atm. I have also found some cup a soups so might have one of those and take some bread and a yoghurt, although I have a curry pot noodle sitting on my desk which I should eat really because it's getting quite old. Maybe if I get rid of the curry flavour and have plain noodles with the mango sauce which is included - now that's an idea :idea: Oh and a chunk of chocolate to get me through the afternoon :D

I'm not quite that bad Kittie, in fact I'm known to add loads of dried parsley to different meals to kid myself into feeling better about it having some nutritional content (e.g. I made a cheddar cheese sauce last week and poured loads of parsley into that so that it looked like something a normal person might eat :rotfl:).

What did you end up having for lunch today? Mine was a cup a soup from my drawer, but I forgot to bring in the bread rolls I bought specially yesterday. DP bought me some brioche pain au chocolat type rolls yesterday so I also had one of those (slightly warmed in the microwave).

My diet really hasn't gone very well since I started it, I had a slice (or 2) of cake every day last week thanks to birthdays etc. It's a good job I only aim to lose around half a stone so that my clothes will fit, but I'm cross with myself that I'm struggling with such a small target when so many people with much higher goals do better than me! I'm blaming the not smoking for my decreased metabolism, but in reality, it's mostly down to gluttony and insufficient exercise :(
  • Twiggy_34
    Options
    Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    My diet really hasn't gone very well since I started it, I had a slice (or 2) of cake every day last week thanks to birthdays etc.

Another office birthday today, so guess what?! Another cake! I would have been rude of me to turn down a slice ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure