Limo on last day of school

Options
My eldest son is in year 6 and it seems to be tradition that children get taken out in a limo on their last day. So as it's getting closer to July I thought I better think about booking it, contacted other parents - only to find out they have already booked limos and fire engines. There is my son and one other child who have been left out.

There is no room for him to go with the others, the other child who has been left out is the school bully so I can kind of see why he didn't get asked. My sons 2 best friends didn't mention anything, I have known their parents since they all went to playschool together, I have one of his friends after school 2 days a week! I just really don't understand it! It seems so nasty, the first thing I did was contact other parents but no one thought to do that for my son? Now his whole class will be leaving school in limos and fire engines and he will just be walking home :(.

I don't know what to do now, I can't really book a limo just for him. I know there are times in life where you don't get invited to things and it's a lesson and all that but I just feel really sad for him :(
Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,603 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Difficult situation, but can you arrange to take him somewhere special that you know he will enjoy, straight after school, so that you have to pick him up?
    Maybe even sort it out so that you pick him up 30 mins early if you can, so that you have the excuse, and he doesn't get upset by seeing all his classmates getting their treats.
    Then spoil him rotten and buy him something he'll really treasure!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter's school did similar with limo trip to bowling. A couple of the Parents usually got the ball rolling with a letter each year sent to all year 6 class Parents via the school sugguesting the price and stating a date when deposits needed to be in. I wonder if maybe your son was off maybe when the letter went out and no-one realised this and just assumed that he was not going to take part?

I would contact the school to discuss the situation as I suspect they must have been involved in the planning. In the school my children attended the road in front had to be kept clear for the limos and children were allowed to change into their own clothes before school finished with the teachers and Parents waving them off. Also anyone accompanying the children in the limo had to be CRB checked via the school as a requirement.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am just going to put down my thoughts in no particular order-

this is nothing to do with children it's to do with parents, the parents excluded you not the children. Was it to do with the cost?

Suggest to your son that you make a donation to a charity of his choice instead of the limo, maybe by a goat or something suitably child worthy, Then make sure he tells his teacher and his class he is walking because it's better to give the money to a more important cause!

make him a banner that reads IM walking because I care!

lastly all this conspicuous consumption should be avoided anyway, this is how we create kids who only care about consumerism.

Let you son be the example, get the newspaper to come and talk to him about it.

Turn it into a positive!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kjmtidea wrote: »
    My eldest son is in year 6 and it seems to be tradition that children get taken out in a limo on their last day. So as it's getting closer to July I thought I better think about booking it, contacted other parents - only to find out they have already booked limos and fire engines. There is my son and one other child who have been left out.

There is no room for him to go with the others, the other child who has been left out is the school bully so I can kind of see why he didn't get asked. My sons 2 best friends didn't mention anything, I have known their parents since they all went to playschool together, I have one of his friends after school 2 days a week! I just really don't understand it! It seems so nasty, the first thing I did was contact other parents but no one thought to do that for my son? Now his whole class will be leaving school in limos and fire engines and he will just be walking home :(.

I don't know what to do now, I can't really book a limo just for him. I know there are times in life where you don't get invited to things and it's a lesson and all that but I just feel really sad for him :(

I hate these sort of things; I think they set an unpleasant tone. But, nevertheless, putting my feelings aside I might well under the circumstances be tempted to hire a very prestige two seated car, pick him up, and nip away from the school for a nice drive while the limos were lumbering out of their oversized parking spots. Wouldn't be cheap though.
  • mandi
    mandi Posts: 11,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    I apologise my reply is probably not what you want to read , but Limos & fire engines ?? WT*..

It's not that many years since schools stupidly introduced the Prom .

It puts an awful lot of pressure on finances , just to keep up with other kids parents who are stupid enough to part with their hard earned cash ..

Yes I feel sorry for your son don't get me wrong but parents would be better taking a stance against this rather than buying into the hype .

I hope you find a solution OP :)
  • Funky_Bold_Ribena
    Options
    Is it worth asking the other parents why they are passive aggressively bullying your son?

I have to say that this 'tradition' stinks.
    Sanctimonious Veggie. GYO-er. Seed Saver. Get in.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mandi wrote: »
    I apologise my reply is probably not what you want to read , but Limos & fire engines ?? WT*..

It's not that many years since schools stupidly introduced the Prom .

It puts an awful lot of pressure on finances , just to keep up with other kids parents who are stupid enough to part with their hard earned cash ..

Yes I feel sorry for your son don't get me wrong but parents would be better taking a stance against this rather than buying into the hype .

I hope you find a solution OP :)

I was thinking the same. Prom is bad enough but at least by that age some kids have part time jobs so should be able to pay for it themselves and are actually finishing a major part of their education, before going onto A levels or apprentice ships etc.

Limos at the end of primary school?! I've never heard of this before will have to keep an eye out to see if they do this in my area in thf summer.

I would probably just call your sons best friends parent & ask if he can come.
  • Tupperware_Queen
    Options
    my son left primary school last July. Some parents went OTT with the whole limo thing. I don't have the money, and also don't see the point so I picked him up from school as usual. We stopped at Maccie D's for a treat, and that was that.

In my experience, its the parents who are 'cliquey' and want to appear better (?!?) than the other clique who escalate these things into some kind of competition. It has very little to do with the kids having fun or making memories.

I attended a lovely leaving assembly, organised by the school, a few days before the end of term, this was all I considered necessary - it was appropriate and included every single child.

It must be hard if the other kids are doing something flash, but is it your child who feels left out, or is it you who is narked by his being left out IYSWIM. I'm not trying to belittle your feelings or anything, so sorry if thats how it comes across.

I hope you manage to sort out something which you are all happy with.
    Getting fit for 2013 - Starting weight 10.1.13 88.1kg
    Weight 27.3.13 79.1kg :( weight 2.4.13 79.9kg Weight 24.4.13 77.8kg. 4.6.13 76kg

BSC member 331
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Where exactly are the limos taking them?

I'm with lostinrates on this one, if it was my son I'd be looking into whether those Virgin motorbike couriers will take kids!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must say that this was one added pressure I had to go through with my two and can't understand why we all follow suit. Like said the Prom was something else. Ridiculous. However this doesn't help your son.

I would suggest that you contact the other parents who are organising two of the limos and explain the situation. Ask if maybe two children from each could go in his limo and share the cost. Sort of explain what it would be like if they were in your position.

If they won't budge and think more of themselves then you'll need to think again. Is the limo taking them to a party?
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport