PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Going to attempt pork schnitzel tonight - hope it works!

Although sadly the uber cheap mince in my local butchers has gone up in price....
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • Help. I started this month telling everyone I had freezer and cupboards full so would not need to spend much... and since then have managed to do several large shops and pretty much spend my entire month budget! There is plenty of food in - why can't I just use it up instead of buying more? There are only 3 of us - me, teenage DS and DD who spends half the week at her bf's. Cross with myself.
  • BeckyC2be
    BeckyC2be Posts: 175 Forumite
    Getting-sorted-sarah - I am exactly the same, the thing that helped me slightly was making sure all the ingredients were in for several staple meals and the only thing needed was meat. Then whatever you fancy you only have to either buy meat or take it out of the freezer (then you have to use it or it'll waste!)

It seems a lot of people on here are helped greatly by menu planning. This method helps me but I only do a general plan so I can swap and change days in case I don't fancy something.

Hopefully someone will be along with more coherent advice! Good luck.
    Rubbish at the grocery challenge!
  • Thanks Becky, and we don't even eat meat! So basically all the ingredients are here, I have frozen quorn mince, quorn pieces, soya mince, various veggies sausages and grills, 6 jars of pasta sauce, 4 jars of other sauces, enough rice for about 20 meals... I could go on and on. Not to mention 54 penguin biscuits. Why?! Meal planning does really help, I used to do it all the time but need to get into the swing of it again.

I think I have issues with food hoarding though, I feel panicked if the cupboards etc aren't full. But having them full and no idea what is in there is no good, I am spending some time clearing out the (well) out of date stuff and stock taking this afternoon.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Help. I started this month telling everyone I had freezer and cupboards full so would not need to spend much... and since then have managed to do several large shops and pretty much spend my entire month budget! There is plenty of food in - why can't I just use it up instead of buying more? There are only 3 of us - me, teenage DS and DD who spends half the week at her bf's. Cross with myself.

Hi,
    First thing I would say is don't panic. You haven't gone over budget yet (if your sig is accurate) plus as you said yourself, you have plenty in.

Why not make a note of anything that is needing using up and try to meal plan around that first. Alternatively see what you can freeze for another time instead of throwing it out.

Have you made an inventory of freezer/cupboards - yes I know it's painful but I keep a list on a spreadsheet so I know what I've got in. It really helps on the CBA'd days to know there's sausages for instance, that can be cooked in no time at all.

I do sympathise as we are a family of 5 - DH is a food-snob (gets it from MIL) and the three children would eat me out of house and home if I let them. I do have to have a certain degree of snacks and treats in so that they don't feel deprived, but having discovered A!di, this is more than possible ;)

HTH - feel free to come on and rant if it helps :)

Coxy

PS. small spend of 94p today on wm rolls for lunch. Yes I know I got sliced rolls yesterday but wanted wm ones to go with our soup :p
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • sheeppappar
    sheeppappar Posts: 252 Forumite
    erk just updated my signature with a spend from weekend.. ran out of butter and pop so went to co-op as nearest (but not cheap).

i did get kitchen towels on offer though-- buy 1 get 2 free!!! how random.
    That shop ended up costing £7 and I have added an extra £30 to my total as I am at work every day this week while Mr Sheep has taken the week off to be with his 2.. and random food items keep appearing in the cupboards!

I estimate about £30 ish for the extras. on the plus side we have hardly eaten any of the meat I bought at start of month so still hopeful I can be somewhere near target.. although starting to doubt i'll be within budget..

keep it up GCers.. I don't post that often but check everyday for tips and news :) thanks all x
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    Another NSD 9 out of 10 so all going really well.
    Dinner is Oven chips and chicken for OH I am having a peppered veggie steak and chips.
    Will need to go shopping at weekend starting to run out of stock items OH squash,cheese, juice etc
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Scarlet1982
    Scarlet1982 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    CupOfChai wrote: »
    I'm up to about £113 now and although I went in the shop yesterday I managed not to spend anything. It's really hard not to just pop in for a look and see if there's anything reduced etc, because I have to walk past the place to get home each day! Any tips? I don't really feel comfortable with not carrying any money at all because then what if it happens that I need some money for something.

I have a similar problem I drive past 3 supermarkets on way home and usually call in one everyday and by the time I get to the till I've spent £20 and never got much to show for it.

I decided to try click and collect this week I've not stepped foot in a supermarket. I know I miss out on YS items but I don't really need them. I'm hoping I can stay in budget this way I spent far too much last month.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm so :mad::mad::mad: I just had to share.

SC has been on since 8am with DR beef shin, casserole veg and stock. Added dumplings at 4pm and just served it up. Meat is not cooked, veg is hard and dumplings still in dough-like state. I had it on high and the actual ceramic dish is hot. So mad, have just had to cook egg on toast for DD and DS2. Probably do the same for DH and DS1 when they get in which will no doubt cause an argument :(

Such a waste of food :mad::mad::mad:
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Home now so I have inventoried and meal planned. We have all sorts of things left over in the fridge and my dear mum loaded us up with goodies to bring home. I think we can last til the 18th on £28 odd - as long as I can resist the vague pleas from OH and the kids. They seem to just want something from the shops - OH can't get used to the idea that we don't need anything! I am grateful that he wants to help.
    Wed: Hummus, cous cous salad, roast veg, homemade pita - idea from Bluegreen, thank you!
    Thur: Minestrone - this may change as DD will have a friend to stay
    Fri: HM pizza - roast red onion, aubergine and goats cheese
    Sat: I am out, OH and kids will have pasta and purple sprouting brocolli with cheese or egg
    Sun: HM curry
    Mon: Spinach and artichoke pasta bake
    Tues: Halloumi kebabs
    Wed: Braised celery and baked potatoes

I am trying to lose weight too - so I may have to change plan as I work out the calorie count of some of these dishes!
    The above plan will not require any shopping - but I probably will need to get some pack up stuff for the kids.
    Good luck everyone!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income