PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• skilly
    skilly Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Afternoon all, going for a budget of £350 this month thanks.
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • paulineb_2
    paulineb_2 Posts: 6,489 Forumite
    Options
    Id like to join if I may. Id like to set myself a budget of £40 for April.
  • Tenyearstogo
    Options
    Last month I went for £60 a week which we stuck to but I'm going to up it £70 a week/£10 per day.

So £300 for the month please.
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2013 at 6:47AM
    Options
    I'd like a budget of £200 for April please, I posted the following thinking this was the March thread d'oh!

Afternoon all, I spent £47 today split between Aldi and Sainsbury's. I hadn't planned to spend this much at all but I was being a bit over ambitious on what I could get away with really and as I am still under budget (just) I'm not going to beat myself up about it :)

I know I should be able to feed three of us easily on £50 a week so taking into account I've also bought all household stuff/toiletries and dog stuff as well for less than £200 so far this month is encouraging.

While I was in Sainsbury's there was an announcement that there were some reductions in the meat aisle so I joined the crowd! I got a lamb joint for £2.10 and two turkey joints at £1.75 each, as well as some steak mince for £2.25 which will do 2 meals and 4 reduced fat fresh burgers for £1.50.

I have made a list of everything in the freezer and meal planned for 18 meals in April. So I am happy
    with my first go at the GC and will opt for the same amount for next month. I hope I can do it, I went a bit over the top thinking I could come in close to £150 at one point this month but have allowed a bit of stocking up for next month.

Good luck all for April xx

Thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration, funny to think I started the month asking what YS stands for and am closing it with a freezer stocked with YS bargains! :)

ETA: My budget includes all food, toiletries, cleaning materials and household items like bin bags, foil, etc. It doesn't include presents.
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am in this month for £130 please. Thanks for starting us off Zippy. A few spends today - will total them up later and add into my sig.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all, thank you for staring a shiny new thread! I have been wondering for the past couple of days when the April thread would appear.

It's pay day tomorrow so that marks the start of the new budget for us. Over budget for March but that was OK as it included the Makro shop for the next two/three months.

Want to use the next few months to account for that though and also want to start making some savings! Therefore I would like to set my April budget at:

£100

My problem isn't actually what I buy it's that anytime I go in a supermarket/similar store I buy little treats or 'just because' items...mostly for bf! Will aim to get that under control this month by using a set amount of the budget for it. Also want to try doing a slightly bigger shop each fortnight rather than 'as and when' or little shops on my lunch hours at work as that will help with the treat buying I think (!) and also be easier to transport home with bf and his car rather than on the bus! haha.

Tonight we're off to bf's parents for a Chinese as they've just got back from a cruise, tomorrow we are going to Frankie and Benny's for tea as it's our anniversary week and easier to do it then than on our actual anniversary (Thursday) as bf doesn't work Tuesday so can recover from the late night (dinner and a movie after he gets back from a hard afternoon training!) whilst I disappear off to work :)

Shopping wise this week the only things I can see us needing are bread rolls, squash, milk and oven chips and maybe ham.

Got a draw full of tangerines in the fridge so need to make sure I eat plenty of those too!

Plan to make at least one batch of soup this week for lunches at work (Chinese style chicken and sweetcorn, might add some noodles to it too)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • bekkikay
    bekkikay Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and new to being frugal as of February.
    I would like to keep my grocery spending to a maximum of £180 for April.
    I went a bit over the budgeted £200 for this month but I'm allowing that as I have started cooking from scratch and really needed to equip my kitchen adequately first. My cupboards, fridge and freezer are now full and are more useful for cooking from scratch so I should be all set for a very cheap April.
    Jan-March: reduced monthly food bill by £400 (cancelled overdraft and started saving)
    April: £112.17/£180 food budget. £9.39/£20 household. 4/15 NSD's.
    TTC#3 since June 2012
  • PrincessLou
    PrincessLou Posts: 503 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i'm new here as well but have been lurking since January! Please can i join the challenge? I'd like to be put down for £150 please. I think i could have squeezed it to £130 or £140 but seen as this is my first month of the challenge i will take it a little easier on myself! :j Good luck to everyone!
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As my budget runs from the 19th (payday) I have already spent £116.78/£200.
    I think that is ok, two more shops of £40 will be fine if hit Aldi and meal plan carefully. The Easter holidays will mean more food eaten at home, but I think if that avoids the packed lunch carp my kids want that is fine!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello

Please could you put me down for £350 this month please. This is to cover 22nd March to 21st April. We are on holiday self catering for a week and I will include the food I take away with us out of this but not anything we buy when we are away, this will come out of the holiday spends. I also have about £25 of n3ctar points to go towards my holiday supplies.

We massively overspent last month so I have done an inventory of the cupboards and one of my freezers so far, one small freezer to do. We could survive for a long time on what we have already got in:eek:

I listed my action plan on last months thread so won't list it again here. I am determined not to waste my money on storing so much food for the supermarkets:mad:
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills