PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    I managed to sort through all my tops yesterday - didn't get rid of very much but they are all repacked so I can see them. 2 going to a charity shop, 2 being passed on to friends. I've started another ragbag too.

Oh, and the pile of other people's stuff in my living room is going today. This makes me incredibly happy!

Lots of posi vibes to all xx
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have bought a new loo.. to replace my old brokkid one.

Bit excited about the binbags leaving today.

I still to pop 3 boxes across to DD1.. I might binbag them, so there are 2 bags rather than 3 boxes, including one the small pests destroyed this morning... but they are going.

I have a tandem pushchair listed on ebeast too.. collection only and it has a couple of watchers so hopefully it will go soon.. I added stock pics but need it to stop raining so I can get proper pics. .. I need to wash the basket though I just remembered.. it was wee'd in.. by the cat! When this has gone I have a single pushchair to go too.. I might offer it on freecycle tbh.. then I will have 1 stroller and the big pram which has the frame in the shed and the fabric in the wardrobe.. might sell that next next lol.

fleece throws... do they stay or do they go? The children use them for tents, they are almost never on the chairs!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    pigpen wrote: »

fleece throws... do they stay or do they go? The children use them for tents, they are almost never on the chairs!

I had the same problem with broom handles - always being used as light sabres (the boys were in their twenties last time I caught them). Lots of brush and mop heads and then a broken wooden (metal ones break even easier) stick hidden somewhere.

I managed day 25 and am three items away from day 26. Can't do much more but still 351 things gone. Kitchen is better with one washer and one fridge freezer more space (+ lots of smaller items). Need to work on emptying the tall freezer this month (lots of veg and fish) so I can move that and start on the pile hidden behind it (under the stairs). I know the sewing machine and decorating tools are there (wasn't going to do either activity post-op and still can't). Still not as able as I would like but it's going to take as long as it takes.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • pigpen
    Options
    11162510_10153366663188518_3576394015099239868_n.jpg?oh=5df6857dd3217d1f9ab607c1124b29af&oe=55FB2CC7

Does the ability to throw this much at the charity shop without really noticing make me a hoarder????
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, I think it's more a reflection of how many kids live / still store belongings in your home, Pigpen!

You're getting through an impressive amount of stuff!
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,179 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many children are bagged up and ready to go with that lot?
  • pigpen
    Options
    None.. but they are all naked!
  • mothernerd
    Options
    I think it's really impressive pigpen. I haven't got so much (any more) but it's all the things that have no home. The couch downstairs still has the remnants of the unpacking.

The front room is pretty much the dumping ground because it has all the things that came into the house but haven't moved on to where they are 'meant' to be. So the 'spare' single bed (which DS3 is now using in addition to his double upstairs - he moves from one to the other several times a night) which was too heavy to move (still hopeful that when DS3's friend visits again and the great bedroom swap happens,DS3 and his friend will bring it up).

Lots of curtain material falling out of the large sideboard. I finally brought the bolt of curtain lining upstairs at weekend as I can lift it now. It has been sitting at the foot of the stairs since November. I wanted to hide it under my bed, 'walked' it across the room to the bottom of the stairs and wanted one of the boys to bring it up - but when they visit they whizz in and out and DS3 sees it as a permanent fixture and just walks past it (usually has a laptop in his arms and thinks he's doing me a favour taking plates back downstairs).

The front room would look better if I could re-arrange the items in there but not up to that yet either (or moving the runners round on the bed so the three storage drawers fit inside instead of taking up more floor space). Simple job, if I could turn the bed on its side (which I can't, grr ... banging head on wall with frustration). DS3 managed to fit a new toilet seat last month (I don't know which of us was more amazed), maybe I can persuade him that this is as easy - trouble is I need him to be near to the bed, but not about to get into it (he stays up all night working on his games, so sleeps when, and where, he feels like it).

Ah well, the equipment people should come this week (will phone again if they don't), that will be four less things in there.

Keep up the good work pigpen (and when kids move out it's as well to have all their stuff as near to the door as possible to get the maximum in the van). Also hide Henry hoover under the dining room table if they start making noises about him - when DS1 last came back (Oct 2013 to Feb 2014) I recognised most of his furniture, it used to be mine. One day my little house will be how I want it (probably the week before my mother moves all her junk in).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
  • pigpen
    Options
    This is from my landing and 2 rooms!!!! I have another 3 bedrooms, 4 rooms downstairs (including 90% of the toys) and the dreaded loft to venture into yet!!! I dread to think how much is there.. but it has served its purpose and it is time for it to move on to someone else who can use it, I have released it into the wide blue yonder :)

When I have done every room I will go over it all again and see what else can go in now the new found space has exposed it.. I have an incredible amount of stuff in this house. really though, how do you lose 3 huge boxes of Christmas presents?? It is pretty dreadful!

It was amusing that the HV came round today, my front room looks like that and stinks of cat pee thanks to my stray (he is going in to be neutered tomorrow hopefully.. depends on his poorly leg) I did explain and show her.. so she didn't condemn my parenting and state of the hovel!

And if I get 1 more request to post a pushchair which is collection only I will agree to deliver it.. go to their house and punch their stupid faces in... it states quite clearly in big letter collection only.. no delivery and no posting!!

recycle bins out.. ready for refilling.. my 3 wheelies are nearly full too..

The bags are being collected by BHF on Wednesday and Thursday.. too many for one trip.. I will need a Friday collection by then no doubt lol. Sorting the boxes waiting to go in the loft next.. bet I can bin at least 1/3rd!!
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Equipment has been collected. I usually know where things are (or maybe two or three most likely) but somewhere along the way I have lost the knack of arranging my house, it just looks like things have been dumped. Spent the time waiting for the equipment collection sitting on the bed (was dozy and didn't want to miss them) because the couch is still covered in remnants of unpacking (from November, but some is candleholders that won't be used until next Christmas) and hasn't got its feet on - took me weeks to get them to move the couch from blocking the path between the front door and the rest of the house (couldn't walk round it on crutches).

Think I've been the only parent/adult for too long. They are now between 30 and 25 but assume that I will still do all the things I have always done. I find it difficult to explain how limited I am at the moment - my eldest wanted me to apply for a job where he works as they were recruiting. It involved an 8 mile bus ride, then another short hop.

So I had to say I would need to rest after the first bus ride (1/2 an hour was my comfortable limit, even in a car), couldn't sit or stand for more than 15 minutes and didn't think I could cope in a large office with lots of people (worked mostly alone for past 16 years and struggle with groups of more than 8 sometimes). Felt pathetic but it's no use pretending I was going to be fine and then not being able to go through the door.

I want to do things but wiser to work within my physical limits for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport