PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good work, dragonlily. That's what it's all about, really - getting rid of stuff that's no further use to you, to make room - and cash - for stuff that is useful/needed/desirable.

Tackling the dreaded conservatory this afternoon, after a morning out "hunting" at the local car boot sales, during which I behaved pretty well, only acquiring stuff that's immediately useful or saleable. I will report back - that makes sure I'll actually do it, not day-dream about running off to Spain or buying a camper van or any of the other ways in which I have no trouble wasting time!
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • dragonlily
    dragonlily Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks thrift wizard.

I have just been super good and gone to town with a carload more for the charity shop. They were really pleased :)

I found a Build a Bear My Little Pony Rarity whilst I was there for £1.50. My six year old daughter is very pleased with it. She already has Rainbow Dash so now has two. I also got seven 80s Russ Trolls for £3 as am crazy about 80s toys.

Thrift wizard I love boot sales and am going to one tomorrow, what finds did you have today? I would love to buy and sell second hand stuff because it is so interesting and diverse but have such a busy job I wouldn't have time at the minute.

x
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm finding the dreaming about going to live in a caravan dream is reoccurring recently. I am so not a caravan person, it must be the nearest thing to an affordable log cabin.

Due to a number of things, I fell into a bit of a decline but on Thursday I fought the urge to hide under the bed clothes and found 100 items to give/throw away and then yesterday another 81. Mostly tiny (lots of crafty 'bits', no particular theme or purpose) but at least another two shoeboxes full. Also DS2 came round (he's moving again but I managed to get us crossed off the list for a temporary resting place) and said he was going to call in at the supermarket on the way home to buy plastic pockets to file all his paperwork pre-move. I leapt up, told him to stay where he was and thanks to my efforts a couple of weeks ago gave him a 2" pile of them that were in one of the sets of little cardboard drawers.

Took everything to the charity bin in the library this morning but also have two magazine holders and a storage box as I shuffled various boxes around (using a spare so I didn't end up tipping things in a pile on the bed.

So mood improved a little. most of the craft stuff would have been used for crafting with children (not mine) and seeing as no-one did anything with the infants when I was unavailable after my operation (I provided craft stuff and ideas/ instructions on what to do) I am not sure I can be bothered either. Someone else can make good use of it. I have also arranged for the equipment that I was lent for using post-op to be collected. it may take a couple of weeks but they promised to phone prior to collection so another box ticked off (and a new loo seat installed by DS3 - old one was broken and the remnants had to be pulled off so that the scandi seat could be installed, which meant we couldn't send the equipment back until we had somewhere to perch).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    181 items in two days? Fantastic effort!

Total failure to get to grips with the conservatory here. But I do have a nice clean & tidy chickenshed... tomorrow is another day!
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Tibbie's_mum
    Tibbie's_mum Posts: 998 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May 2015 at 12:17PM
    Options
    My hoarding is so bad, that today I had to go up into the attic and give it a quick tidy up. It's madness!

Sometime ago I was looking for some documents which I couldn't find in our house nor in either of our storage units, so I ended up ransacking the attic in search of them! Having found said documents, I shut the trap door to the loft and forgot all about the bomb site overhead, until today!

Next week is half term and OH is having the week off to be with kids, but to also do work on the house, which could entail going up into my secret stash. Anyway, I've made it look a bit more presentable and chucked a few things out. Currently have two more sacks to go to Cash4clothes and have got rid of 7 kiddies lunch bags from the attic.

I've also got a box of bric-a-brac that I tidied out of the kitchen, 48 CDs and 2 more boxes of books destined for the charity shop.

Really need a fairy godmother to magic all the junk away!
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning, all! It's been fairly quiet on here, I hope you are all well.

We've had a few setbacks, but it's all only temporary! Yesterday we picked up DD1 from her student accommodation - with all her stuff and an extra car-load she had not moved out with in the first place! So there are boxes everywhere and black bags full of things. The good news is that from August she will renting a shared flat she can stay in all year until she finishes Uni.
    DD2's room is still the DI WHY ??? nightmare it's been a few weeks ago as she was preparing for exams so she needed to be in there...and during sunny spells I have to be in the garden or I can forget growing food, lol. Next rainy day we'll get cracking, DD1 is here to help now, even when school starts again for the poor exam plagued child....
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • dragonette
    dragonette Posts: 879 Forumite
    Options
    You sound so positive Happygreen, you've brought a smile to my face :)

I've not managed much dehoarding of my own, getting rid of an exes things tho. Back to them, hopefully! Starting to feel the itch to clear out some of my stuff again so will crack on as health allows
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 29 May 2015 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Well I thought things were moving here. DS2 is moving from his current place (woman he was renting a room from is moving her bf in) and into his own flat (3 bed but one is a box room without a window) so now wants the spare fridge freezer and washer (Christmas gift he persuaded me to buy him) back. Spent some time emptying and cleaning them yesterday (with aching shoulder today and much huffing and puffing as only recently allowed to bend so the lower spaces were a real challenge). Late on he phoned to say he will now collect them on Saturday as he was just on his way back from the big Swedish store.

So tired and aching today and not inclined to do much as washing machine is pulled out as far as I could get it to clean the top (no way can I crawl into the space behind and unplug everything) and don't want to re-arrange the kitchen until the extras are gone.

I have persuaded him to take some things - an airer, mop and bucket, broom (I had spares - well I had multiple sticks and various heads which I have been trying to pair up. Think some of the sticks were used with rollers when I was in the intense getting the other house up for sale phase) and hope he may yet take the tumble drier (not enough room in his tiny kitchen but may go in the spare bedroom).

He uses the tumble drier so it moved here with him 3 1/4 years ago when he rented it from me but then he left it behind when he moved out and DS3 and I moved in. I used it after my operation 10 years ago ( wasn't allowed to lift much and pegging out takes a long while if you only do one t-shirt at a time) but avoid it mostly. Would rather it went somewhere it was used (thought about selling it but it does look slightly shabby).

Recovery from my hip replacement is going slowly. I am delighted to have done my regular evening walk twice without crutches but walked back to the for sale house the other evening and it exhausted me. The garden needs a good tidy up (back yard with newly planted lawn looks excellent , shrubs taking off big time and hiding any imperfections). I think I would have to take a picnic and rest between tasks (and use a chair as much as possible). It's only £1 for the bus back, but can't afford that atm.

Just done a credit shuffle to get nearly £5000 debt back to 0% (was given an increased credit limit about 3 months back but they weren't doing balance transfers). Another couple of things should put me back slightly in front of the bills and cc payments and mean that I am actually paying something off the debt rather than interest payments. Sooner the house sells the better (some interest and have agreed to a price reduction - just want it gone).

Tried to do the month of giving things away but am stalled on day 24 but can only see a few more things to go right now. DS2 thinks he has enough pans and wants to buy his own crockery etc - good for him but I was hoping to offload all the spare bits. He took six plates, bowls etc last time but only one bowl and three plates left when he moved out. I am jotting down things to ask him about (kitchen tools, tea towels - not very exciting but adds up if you pay for it all at once) and culled an old sheet for rags to clean the washer and fridge freezer.

Every bit counts.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well.. I too am returning with a renewed vigour and a desperate need for space primarily and cash.. My childrens perfect parent (KH) is trying to get custody of 2 of our 8 children.. the other 6 wont speak to him because he is a nasty piece of work and as avresult I need quids for the solicitor.. so ebay is again my life line.

I'm in talks with the mortgage company to see if I can get a fixed rate for 5 year which will drop my mortgage payment by £100 a month which will take off some of the pressure.. anyway.. life is fun and exciting as always in here.

Over the last few months I have decluttered some of my kitchen and the childrens toys and the older girls wardrobes.. it being half term and the first school holiday in a year when I have not been ill I have been flinging.. I have achieved great things..

21 binbags for charity shop
    6 boxes to my daughters
    1 binbag in the bin.. because it isn't rubbish it is just clutter!!
    100 things on ebeast
    and I have a binbag filling up for my niece and a few bits I have sent home with various people.
    my breadmaker, handheld vacuum, a wicker basket have gone to my sisters and temporarily my carpet cleaner has too.
    My steam mop which I couldn't use as you have to hold the trigger all the time and I couldn't has gone to another sister.
    I am knitting my way through my wool stash slowly with a view to getting my sewing machine out once more.

Tomorrow I am hoping to get through some more of the landing and maybe get my double pushchair sold too.. I haven't used it in months so it needs to go.

I have decluttered 3 bookcases and a cupboard and most of my clothes in the last week or so.. My house is moving in the right direction, I have floor to vacuum and walk on without injuring myself.. seeing the advances has spurred me on further.. I hope this lasts because I am so sick of mess!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, Dragonette. It must shine through that I am just delighted to have them both around, whatever the mess! Whilst I was at work yesterday they sorted through their clothes and all there is for me to do is to decide for CS or Cash4Clothes. We'll fill the car with bags next week and go for lunch together from the proceeds or splash out when the new Aldi store opens, lol.
    Today I will declutter some vegetable beds as it's sunny and almost warm already.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure