PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options
1550551552553554556»

Comments

• Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK my plan for tomorrow

(if I make this public I am committed)

when I get up I will remove the four baskets from my wardrobe and check them first Kondo the folding and sorting as I go - 'for Cath' 'for ebay' 'for charity shop' and for recycling and of course putting back because I love it

and all that before I leave the bedroom
    when I get downstairs I will get mail and sort NOW + 5 bits from the pile.

then every time I go upstairs I will do 10mins and start with the chest at the end of the bed (all my underwear lives there) once tidy it will be easier to put away

that will be a huge achievement - will log back in and set a schedule for Saturday
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • Catriona_P
    Catriona_P Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    The difficulty I'm having at the moment is that in order to declutter I need to make more mess. For example I have a new double bed coming for the spare room but currently have bookcases covered in clutter in the way. In order to move the bookcases I need to sort the clutter, but pulling out all the clutter makes more mess and needs to be tidied/thrown/charity bagged. Which takes longer than I have time for at the moment so I start and don't finish and it ends up looking worse than it did when I started!
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Catriona_P wrote: »
    The difficulty I'm having at the moment is that in order to declutter I need to make more mess. For example I have a new double bed coming for the spare room but currently have bookcases covered in clutter in the way. In order to move the bookcases I need to sort the clutter, but pulling out all the clutter makes more mess and needs to be tidied/thrown/charity bagged. Which takes longer than I have time for at the moment so I start and don't finish and it ends up looking worse than it did when I started!

I think that's one of the things that's made my efforts stall in the past - it always get worse before it gets better, which is very demoralising.

I'm on the thread for getting rid of 2017 items in 2017. Joined last week and then realised I'd posted on there on 2nd January and then not again until last week!

Since last week I've got rid of 100 items and have many more bagged/boxed up for the charity shop but the house looks worse than ever! I just need to keep going and it will all be worth it - I hope :rotfl:
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • suzitiger
    suzitiger Posts: 947 Forumite
    Options
    @Catriona_P I know how that feels!! I decided in my wisdom to go through my 'Memory Trunk' where I chuck everything that holds some kind of sentimental value. It was starting to overflow so I tackled it-I have now made a big mess mid-sort as the job is just too painful to do in one day!

Crazy as the trunk just sits in the bedroom all tidy in the corner and now there is sentimental vomit all over the place hahaha
    Don't turn a slip up into a give up:D
    *NSD Challenge Nov 0/10* *£10 a day challenge Nov £0/£300*
    No buying unnecessary toiletries challenge-in it for the long haul
    :D

• Catriona_P
    Catriona_P Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    suzitiger wrote: »
    @Catriona_P I know how that feels!! I decided in my wisdom to go through my 'Memory Trunk' where I chuck everything that holds some kind of sentimental value. It was starting to overflow so I tackled it-I have now made a big mess mid-sort as the job is just too painful to do in one day!

Crazy as the trunk just sits in the bedroom all tidy in the corner and now there is sentimental vomit all over the place hahaha

I too have a memory box I need to tackle!

I feel even worse about things now as I have a week off work for the school holidays and so far I've done nothing - why don't kids play on their own ;):D

I've recently discovered Kon Mari - does anyone else use that system? It's a totally different approach to the one I'm used to so I'm hoping if it try it that might help.
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport