PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have now sorted 7 items to return to the shop.. I am determined to reclaim the front room tomorrow which means the back room is in for a degrotting! .. I have 2 armchairs in there to go in the back room, the coffee table/tv stand I will buy for £15 or less will go in there too and house the tv and console from the girls room so it can be used under supervision and DD3 is not in the 'baby room' annoying me!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm still de-hoarding away, however I need help.

I need to de-hoard (kill, anything!) a mahoosive spider that took up residence in my bedroom last night!! It's moved on from eating flies and tiny insects to eating mice IMO it was that big!! DH wasn't here to remove it so I stood outside my room and cried - literally - I have a MASSIVE gear of them :(:cry:
    Ended up sleeping in the spare room last night because I lost the spider. So yeah, any advice to I can cheaply de-hoard, get rid and kill the ugly thing would be GREATLY appreciated as DH isn't home until tomorrow :cry::cry:
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    (((((irishrose)))))) I feel your suffering as I would have been the same. The only thing worse than the huge spider you can see is the huge spider which you have lost sight of.....somewhere close to you.

Firstly, I would say get a newspaper or magazine and roll it tightly and secure with a couple of elastic bands. You're gonna clout the beggar when you find it, so pre-arm yourself.

Secondly, spiders don't think, they operate on pre-programmed instincts. So, it'll run when disturbed. If you really have to go after it, move stuff slowly untit you disturb it and be ready to smack it. Good luck.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she's that big get a pudding basin & put it over her. Slide a stiff sheet of cardboard/couple of sheets of paper (anything) underneath & take her outside - please don't kill her, she can't help looking scary & ugly & she's so small in relation to you :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Gold Star & a CDM for you Sweetpea :)
    Not had any response from Freecycle for the containers so I'll remove the Tupperware ones to the CS & the rest can go in the recycle bin - was worth a try.

Try listing Tupperware on Ebay-if it is Tupperware. Very popular particular the vintage stuff! Good luck.
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    i was going to say as well
    tupperware sells on ebay apparently very well
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jan & Whiteguineapig - thanks for that! I hadn't thought of ebaying it & years ago (about 45 :eek:) I used to be a demonstrator so I've got plenty lurking that I could definitely declutter. I'll take a look & see what sort of prices they're fetching (rubs hands together with sick grin!!)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Years ago I helped my in laws sell at a boot sale. I didn't think their elderly Tupperware would sell ( and said so!) Well I had egg on my face as it all sold( we are talking pale green Tupperware so maybe 1950`s! )

Years later I sold my Tupperware on Ebay and also bought some when my son took some to a rock concert and it never returned :(
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK I still haven't de-hoarded the spider as I lost it, so I just keep checking for it when I enter :o

I did however get rid of quite a few bags of rubbish to the CS this morning - and got rid of some re-usable bags in the process by putting the stiff in those lol.
    Since the bag charge came into effect here last year we seem to have went a bit boogaloo with buying re-usable bags. I mean honestly we don't need loads:rotfl:

Anyhow they've gone, along with a load of stuff from the house - six bags in total. And 2 bags of stuff came with me back up to work last week when I started back, so that's another lot out of the house:T

My plan now is to go through all my clothes again. I'm not one to use a lot of clothes or buy a lot. Now that I' back to work I try to get 2-3 days worth of use out of track bottoms and t-shirts or jeans, which I put on after I get home and I'm not really one for dressing up. I wear a uniform at work so it's straight forward what to wear there lol.
    I have a few tops hanging in my wardrobe that I've bought for weddings etc and I won't use them again, they are still in as new condition so I'll list them on ebay this weekend and see how they go. Any money at all ATM is needed so I don't ind how much they go for (if at all)
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've re-done DSS's bedroom, he's eight week after next and we're still bagging up baby toys from the top of his old wardrobe and Thomas Tank Engine and IN the Night Garden stuff.... Some have gone CS, others to a younger child in my extended family.

OH is also clearing more of his stuff, he's determined to make room for me to have my stuff out properly when I move in :)

Lxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business