PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hoarding - Springing Ahead

Options

Comments

• Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    No decluttering going on here but I am helping a dear friend who is going to emigrate soon :( and spent all Friday going through her Stuff.

If you're thinking about hauling your possessions half way across the world, it does focus the mind.

What surprised me was the amount of paperwork she is going to have to sort through. It's not the shoe mountain or the bulging wardrobe that takes time to sort out. It's looking at every single 'important' bit of paper and family photo they come across.

Not a task I'd relish. Ours are all in the loft and I haven't been up there for a very long time ...

Helping my friend also has the added bonus that she is passing things on to me. All very carefully targeted, of course, but I do need to be careful to do the one in, one out thing.

Ah well. Perhaps decluttering by proxy counts?
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 8,043 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    Do you only give your sister horrible colours? :D
    Never given her yarn before. Always bought it from charity shops and kept it.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering - 2024 - 4,177 June - 55/3
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £64.50/£100 NSD - 105
    2024 Craft Makes - 235 Craft Spends 2024 £393.11/£500
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    children have gone to grandparents overnight (one went on thursday, but dd flat out refused to leave the car so had to come home with me). Unfortunately slipped yesterday and sprained my foot so have put some planned things on the back-burner this weekend, because although I can walk on it OK, I'm not keen on going up ladders while it's weak.

feel quite giddy and not-quite tethered to the planet because of a whole 24 hours of time just for me! went for a coffee and panini and read a book :) went to some charity shops in search of a mirror of very specific dimensions - bought one and it's half an inch to wide, darn. also got 3 very pretty large hat boxes for £2.49. The rule is I have to replace some ugly storage boxes with these and give the old ones to the same charity shop.

so more ins than out so far - hopefully will remedy that tomorrow.

anyway - I'm off out (!) for the evening. keep on everyone :)
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    noelphobic wrote: »
    Do you only give your sister horrible colours? :D

What will she do with 1 ball of wool? Jumpers for mice?
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 4,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all :hello:
    Thought I'd better de-lurk before I fall off the wagon :o - been resting on my laurels just a tad this week. In my defence it has been busy at work, which means I'm inclined to come home and flop. Was asleep in the chair by 8.30pm two nights running!
    Some (sort of) progress has been made though- Monday evening I moved the pile of 'stuff' from in front of the TV to enable the BT engineers free access to sockets etc on Tuesday afternoon. It was a move though, not a clear: said 'stuff' has just joined pile of other 'stuff' in front of sofa. On a positive note I did have BT engineers in Tuesday - and again yesterday :(:mad: 'cause new set-up wasn't working - without inwardly cringing or feeling I needed to apologise for the state of the place ....although I did notice rather a lot of dust on the shelf under the TV ( but then you couldn't see the shelf before!).
    Anyhoo I've really had a week's 'maintain-ance' keeping what's done done rather than moving forward.
    DS walked in on Friday night, stopped short in the living room door and said 'WOW! Mum, you've been busy' (You could actually hear the exclamation mark :rotfl:) Later he said he'd be happy to bring a friend home now :D RESULT!
    Also had a friend over for coffee yesterday morning :T .
    Next step is to clear the sofa - it's a three seater but only one seat is sit-on-able. Looking at it clearing the seats won't take long, clearing the piles of 'stuff' in front of the sofa might take a while. :think: do you suppose I could ask people to sit with their legs stuck straight out in front of them? P'raps not :D.
    Have a good day.
    Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    roundtuit wrote: »
    DS walked in on Friday night, stopped short in the living room door and said 'WOW! Mum, you've been busy' (You could actually hear the exclamation mark :rotfl:) Later he said he'd be happy to bring a friend home now :D RESULT!
    Rxx

I'd love to hear those words! It's been years since my DS brought a friend home. Even if he was happy to do so, I wouldn't be. I know it wouldn't have to be pristine for him to bring his girlfriend home as their home can be a bit messy.

My living room was looking a lot better a few weeks ago. It all went out of the window (not literally, although it's tempting at times!) when I started job hunting. No pending applications at the moment so I'm all out of excuses.

Decided then that my mission is to at least get the living room looking up to or better than the standard it was a few weeks ago before my son visits again.
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Noel you have a mission and you can do it :j:j:j look forward to hearing you have made it. :D

I have photos to take for fleabay but have been up all night with Oh - he has nightmares due to his meds - so am feeling a little fragile today :( but am determined to do something positive. My Ds just called, its his birthday and he is 33 - how did that happen, I guess I just blinked and 33 years went by. Hubby is 60 in August so have decided by then the house will be clutterfree as we will be having visitors and possibly a party.

I have a stair basket, you know one of those that sits on 2 stairs, well its full of scarves that I never wear and basically junk so am going to empty it and take it to the Cs. I think the less receptacles I have to fill the less junk will hang around!
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like there is some great work going on here! I finally managed to drop off the CS stuff that has been in the back of my car for months. Part of the problem with not going shopping is not passing any charity shops! But I was meeting a friend at the farmers' market near where I used to live, so took the opportunity to drop the stuff in at one of the charities I am registered with for gift aid.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great to hear so many people winning their de-hoarding battles! :T

I've had a good de-hoarding weekend - 4 bags to charity shop, 1 bag to tip, 6 bags and one vacuum to freecyclers! Waiting for freecycler to pick up 2 more items ..... I can see spaces appearing! :j
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Ginnyknit! It's very hard for me to give any kind of basket away, or to stop buying them, for that matter. There was a whole thread about it on MSE once.

Well, those who read the 5 pleasures thread will know I cleared out my freezer today. It was full of beans from the end of the harvest last year, when we were beaned-out. Unfortunately, they did not freeze well, so I took the plunge and filled half a bin bag with them. If I had been (ha ha) a bit more switched on, I would have emptied the bags into the compost heap and washed out the bags but heigh-ho, sometimes you just have to get on with it.

One jumper dress has also gone. It never made it into the wardrobe, as it was given to me the other day and I wore it for five minutes before deciding it would suit someone with different proportions!

That's all folks! Happy decluttering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family