Road tax for disabled?

Options

Comments

• Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    diceydeb wrote: »
    Was hoping for some help to a question I thought related to the original topic tho reading all the posts since it seems a bit out of place now.... anyway I was wondering if anyone knows if you can have 2 named drivers on the insurance that being the driver with the disability and me his wife and still use the tax exemption . I am hoping to pass my test soon and want to drive my OH car as he is not always well enough to himself.
    Two named drivers on the insurance - the driver with the disability - and me his wife

Of course you can diceydeb, that's an insurance question, whether both driver's concerned are acceptable and allowed to drive is up to your insurance company.
    The tax disk question

The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person's name or their nominated driver's name. It must only be used for the disabled person's personal needs. It can't be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use - see here.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another question:

If the owner decides to sell the car does the owner has to remove the disabled road tax from the car or can the owner sell it with the car?

Also if the owner is allowed to sell the disabled road tax with the car then can the owner ask for a replacement disabled road tax if the owner decides to buy another car?
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No you have to remove it.You then return it (i guess, as i never have done it) then apply for one for the new car but you need to go to the local dvla office for change of classification.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    Another question:

If the owner decides to sell the car does the owner has to remove the disabled road tax from the car or can the owner sell it with the car?

Also if the owner is allowed to sell the disabled road tax with the car then can the owner ask for a replacement disabled road tax if the owner decides to buy another car?

- you can not sell, what you do not own, as 'only_mee' said return it to the DVLA
    - you don't need a replacement VED, just transfer your own VED to your new ride
    - and for only one car at a time in an appropriate tax class remember ?
    - the new owner caught using the VED exemption would be prosecuted
    - if it was decided you were complicit in the sale of a VED you would be prosecuted
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • markmarkmark
    markmarkmark Posts: 88 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2013 at 9:27PM
    Options
    Richie, it's quite possible I'm remembering this incorrectly, but I got my tax disc online last month (without a 404 or ref since it had run out) by just quoting my national insurance number, would that be right? Maybe the equivalent of the 404 entitlement is already on the system?

I think I was stumped by the reference field because my DLA letter had no reference number, so after a couple of failed attempts put my NI number in and it went through straight away.

Presumably there is no need then for me to phone your quoted number for the updated entitlement next time?

Cheers.
  • bery_451
    Options
    only_mee wrote: »
    No you have to remove it.You then return it (i guess, as i never have done it) then apply for one for the new car but you need to go to the local dvla office for change of classification.

what do you mean by classification?
  • bery_451
    Options
    - you can not sell, what you do not own, as 'only_mee' said return it to the DVLA
    - you don't need a replacement VED, just transfer your own VED to your new ride
    - and for only one car at a time in an appropriate tax class remember ?
    - the new owner caught using the VED exemption would be prosecuted
    - if it was decided you were complicit in the sale of a VED you would be prosecuted

how do you transfer the current disabled tax disc to the new car when the current tax disc has the old car registration number on it?
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    HiYa markmarkmark, all applications require :

- the V11 reference number or the reference number shown on your V5C
    - plus DOB / surname / NI Number / CofE Number etc

I've never heard of anyone getting through the internet application security without the reference number otherwise what is the point of the mi££ions spent on the system in the first place? Anything is possible, you may be correct, maybe it will accept a 404 number instead of a CofE. BTW both the Certificate of Entitlement and the old 404 do have a Ref No as you can see.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    how do you transfer the current disabled tax disc to the new car when the current tax disc has the old car registration number on it?

- the quickest way is to do it in your local / regional DVLA - everyone has one
    - it takes minutes and is done for you by the staff who communicate real time with the DVLA computer

Picture this ......

- you have two packets full of papers, one for the old car and one for the new car
    - and the tax disk from your windscreen .. .. which they will confiscate
    - you prove test cert / insurance / VED exemption, and they will give you a new tax disk on the spot for the full 12 months
    - they will also confiscate the old car log book and the your new car log book
    - the old car log book will be reissued in the post as a normal [non-VED] log book
    - the new car log book will be reissued in the post as a VED 'disabled' log book

That whole process takes less than 5 minutes and is painless, they do thousands every week, no post, no waiting, no documents going missing, no hassle and usually a Blue Badge space if you are patient.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    - the quickest way is to do it in your local / regional DVLA - everyone has one
    - it takes minutes and is done for you by the staff who communicate real time with the DVLA computer

Picture this ......

- you have two packets full of papers, one for the old car and one for the new car
    - and the tax disk from your windscreen .. .. which they will confiscate
    - you prove test cert / insurance / VED exemption, and they will give you a new tax disk on the spot for the full 12 months
    - they will also confiscate the old car log book and the your new car log book
    - the old car log book will be reissued in the post as a normal [non-VED] log book
    - the new car log book will be reissued in the post as a VED 'disabled' log book

That whole process takes less than 5 minutes and is painless, they do thousands every week, no post, no waiting, no documents going missing, no hassle and usually a Blue Badge space if you are patient.

But the above will be made much more difficult if and when they close all the local DVLA centre, reclassification from disabled to PLG will only be possible by post .
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport