The Great 'Which gadgets were your biggest waste of cash?' Hunt

Comments

• I'll say 'tablet' too - I bought an HP Touchpad in the firesale (£89! Bargain!) then hacked it to run Android, thus in theory meaning I could download Android apps and get good use out of it. However, shortly after I started using it I realised that I just couldn't get on with a tablet keyboard, so switched back to my trusty old eeepc. It's been sitting in a drawer ever since.

But thanks to this thread I have been reminded to either sell it on or give it to someone who can use it =)
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,580 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    stampychan wrote: »
    I'll say 'tablet' too - I bought an HP Touchpad in the firesale (£89! Bargain!) then hacked it to run Android, thus in theory meaning I could download Android apps and get good use out of it. However, shortly after I started using it I realised that I just couldn't get on with a tablet keyboard, so switched back to my trusty old eeepc. It's been sitting in a drawer ever since.

But thanks to this thread I have been reminded to either sell it on or give it to someone who can use it =)

I'll give you a chocolate fountain for it! :D

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• I have two chocolate fountains, bought at a car boot sale for £4 each (they were new and unopened) which I used at a wedding reception a couple of years ago. They haven't seen the light of day since and will be returning to the boot sale, use too much chocolate and are too messy although they went down well at the wedding.

I bet yoghurt makers are going to be mentioned, bought one about 20 years ago, at a jumble sale, used it just twice but I still have it!!!!! That's another thing for the boot sale, should get a good price, after all it is vintage lol

And could I mention the foot spa, facial sauna, battery operated manicure set, battery operated facial care set, all received as gifts over the years but didn't live up to expectations.

And the popcorn maker, it flies everywhere and a big saucepan with a good lid is so much better.

I am sure I will think of more, just glad my hard earned cash didn't buy them new
  • harleq1962
    harleq1962 Posts: 241 Forumite
    every Nokia high end phone that they claimed would be the next big thing, then they moved on, but i didn't.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Juicer machine, novelty soon wore off of trying to get the mesh grater thing clean and washing all the bits. Antony Worrall Thompson what were you thinking not making it dishwasher safe???
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • leopold
    leopold Posts: 22 Forumite
    I spent £180 on an Android tablet. I thought it would be a useful gadget, possibly something I could even do work on, but after a fair bit of fiddling about, discovering a very painful shortcoming of the Android OS and noticing not only how slow it was, but how short the battery life was (it spent more time on charge than off!), I started to fall out with it. And when I wasn't allowed to join the pilot scheme at work which would've given me the option to use it for my job, I gave up on it completely. I've not used it in months.

Oh, and a chocolate fountain!
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Biggest waste of cash was a Bread Maker , I realised that the best and most therapeutic way of making bread way already attached to my arms. The best gadget ever bought was a steam generator iron, Mrs. DCM gets hours of fun with that and it has never had a virus or spyware :cool:.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Juicer machine, novelty soon wore off of trying to get the mesh grater thing clean and washing all the bits. Antony Worrall Thompson what were you thinking not making it dishwasher safe???
    Biggest waste of cash was a Bread Maker , I realised that the best and most therapeutic way of making bread way already attached to my arms. The best gadget ever bought was a steam generator iron, Mrs. DCM gets hours of fun with that and it has never had a virus or spyware :cool:.

Got one of each of the above.
    I agree the juicer is painful to get clean so it's on the side being ignored.
    Breadmaker (£5 from a car-boot sale) used 3 times but it does something weird to the bread so that's in a cupboard gathering dust (the maker not the bread :eek:).

Think they'll both end up (back) at a car-boot or on ebay.

Also bought a paint-pad pro after seeing the advert. Absolutely useless and doesn't work like it did on the TV (not even close) so that's getting ebay-ed. I've had it too long to send back and I've used it (if ayone wants one to try, let me know).

I agree about the steam-generator iron. I'm on my second (yes, I'm a bloke and do my own ironing) and wouldn't go back to a "normal" steam iron ..... ever.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • Dreamnine
    Dreamnine Posts: 8,370 Forumite
    Blackberry Playbook - I used it about 5 times - piece of crap.

Microsoft Windows 710 phone - as above.
    I shot a vein in my neck and coughed up a Quaalude.
    Lou Reed The Last Shot
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rmg1 wrote: »
    Also bought a paint-pad pro after seeing the advert. Absolutely useless and doesn't work like it did on the TV (not even close) so that's getting ebay-ed. I've had it too long to send back and I've used it (if ayone wants one to try, let me know).

I've decorated our whole house, top to bottom using a Dulux paint-pod (is that the same thing)? I'd never go back to painting any other way. It's great.
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport