Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping - Page 49

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 273.5K views

Replies

• mon37mon37 Forumite
    416 posts
    Please can someone tell me what is the best time to go for a Christmas eve bargains hunt in Waitrose, Tesco and Sains. They all will be opened until 6pm.
  • ellivesellives Forumite
    635 posts
    mon37 wrote: »
    Please can someone tell me what is the best time to go for a Christmas eve bargains hunt in Waitrose, Tesco and Sains. They all will be opened until 6pm.

...and the answer is?
  • LadyCouponLadyCoupon Forumite
    714 posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Probably pot luck, could be an hour before closing, but I have known my local Morrisons to have the best reduced things a few hours before closing.
  • danihdanih Forumite
    454 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Any ideas when the best sales start - of turkeys, nuts etc?
    :j got married 3rd May 2013 :beer:
  • It will depend on the Item and Store.

In the past the Supermarkets have tended to discount Turkey's on Christmas Eve (As well as perishable stuff like Veg etc). As with any other Bargain shopping the timing depends on the individual shop. The slight caveat is that as more places seem to be open on Boxing day this year there may be fewer reductions today as most birds are dated for Boxing Day.

As for the other "stuff" like Nuts and Chocolate I would expect to see things from the 27th onward
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 24 December 2013 at 10:39AM
    MeeMee Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24 December 2013 at 10:39AM
    NB Not all are closing at 18:00 some are closing at 19:00.
    Some of the best reductions may be seen in stores closed for Boxing Day too - one of the small Sainsburys I frequent is closed BD too and they've moved and doubled the reduction shelf space to cater for this...(excuse the pun)

Did reconnaissance this morning, and found my Tesco Superstore reducing meat products like crazy; Asda reducing lots of fruit and veg etc. M&S have had 50% off celebratory food (cake?) stuff since at least yesterday, I think. Bought a Genoa cake for an elderly lady and found it was half price when I got to the till - no labels to indicate this though...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Might be a bit hit and miss as to who has what & how much left. My local co-op had loads of fresh turkeys last year on Boxing Day so I stocked up not sure what they may have this year.
    Really depends if you want to trawl the shops in the off chance or just happen to be in the store and spot a bargain.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Got a turkey crown for 50% off in lidl Today all their turkey stock is 50% off :)
    I'm C, Mummy to DS 29/11/2010 and DD 02/11/2013

Overdraft PAID OFF
    CC PAID OFF
    GC Sept £141.17/200
  • stephen77stephen77 Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends when the use by date of most Christmas lines are.

If lots of product with Ub 25th then it should be good.
    If 26th then I would not bother.

If the supermarket has been good, they will ordered stock in with a UB of 26th + to avoid wastage.
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mee wrote: »
    Bought a Genoa cake for an elderly lady and found it was half price when I got to the till - no labels to indicate this though...

That must have been a roll back or what ever. It needs a sticker to be reduced. The till can't tell if its a reduction or not from just the normal barcode.

:rotfl: