Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping - Page 110

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 273.3K views

Replies

• blueskinnedbeastblueskinnedbeast Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Typical mirror article pinched from numerous sources.

My local Morrisons typically reduces by 25% even if the item has that days use by date.
    Lidls reduces by 30% as a rule and the item has anywhere between 2 days and a week on the use by(I mainly buy the chicken  when it's reduced, even though it's cheaper to buy frozen elsewhere).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't a best time because the supermarkets keep changing the times to prevent the hordes of vultures who otherwise gather waiting for the reduced stuff to come out.
    That's my experience anyway.
    And Tesco stagger it with veg, meat and bakery reduced at different times. Some people appear willing to loiter in a supermarket for an hour and a half waiting for the various reductions. I prefer to have a life.  
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • blueskinnedbeastblueskinnedbeast Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    elsien said:
    There isn't a best time because the supermarkets keep changing the times to prevent the hordes of vultures who otherwise gather waiting for the reduced stuff to come out.
    That's my experience anyway.
    And Tesco stagger it with veg, meat and bakery reduced at different times. Some people appear willing to loiter in a supermarket for an hour and a half waiting for the various reductions. I prefer to have a life.  
    We all prefer to have a life.

Unfortunately some people only have a life because they hang around  waiting to buy reduced items so they can eat.
    Say entitled ages grab the bargains these people desperately need to live.

Do I buy reduced items?
    Yes
    Do i need to?
    Yes
    Do I buy what I need whilst leaving for others in need?
    Yes I hope I do.

On the bones of my arts(sic) but hopefully not depriving others.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    281 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    elsien said:
    There are lots of variables e.g. size of household, dietary requirements etc., but it's fairly easy to save £20-30 on a weekly shop by loitering.  For many people that is a bigger return for their time than working a couple of hours of overtime (if they even have that as an option).  When I lived near Tesco there was a group of mums who treated the loitering time as a social event!
  • mikbmikb Forumite
    308 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My local Morrisons typically reduces by 25% even if the item has that days use by date.
    I've seen deeply discounted yellow-sticker for *Best before* of TODAY, e.g. Loaves of bread 8p or 11p (65-75% off, freezer, brace yourself, incoming!) and only last week, Iced Madeira cakes (£1.32 to 38p, ~ 70% discount). They clearly want them out of there, before they become unsellable due to "out of date" issues.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 23 August at 6:22AM
    redfoxredfox Forumite, Board Guide
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 August at 6:22AM
    While it’s easy to wander off-topic that could stop newbies finding the information they want quickly and easily (please see the forum rule) so please keep this thread on topic. If you have any questions about this policy please email [email protected].

Some off topic posts have been removed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries and Shop but don't drop boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I got lucky at Asda yesterday - nipped in ahead of closing for some fruit and came out with what I wanted, plus a couple of large punnets of strawberries for 10p. They were ripe and a small number on their way out but I was able to serve a huge pile to my guests yesterday evening with cream and ice cream. Call me pessimistic but it might be the last time this year as summer is on its way out...
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I went into my local Holland and Barrett on Saturday for a couple of items and was surprised to see some Vegan goodies reduced from £2.99 to 40p each and from £3.99 to 50p each. I bought two of each and we ate some on Saturday and the rest yesterday. The fish-type ones were OK but the steak-type not so good and in either case I wouldn't have paid full price so it was an inexpensive exercise to try them. There were quite a few reductions in the vegetarian cabinet as well, so worth a look if you are passing.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • MrsStepfordMrsStepford Forumite
    465 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    In the days when we were poor, I bought YS stuff. My best bargains were a dozen quail eggs for 10p and a bag of McCain's chips for 50p. I didn't buy ready meals, sandwiches, yogurts etc. Now, I do my shopping online and husband goes to farm shops. He never sees any reduced stuff. Last online Holland & Barrett order, I combined an online discount, individual offers and a reward voucher, to get £56 of stuff for £25 plus free delivery.  
  • Mumof3SGMumof3SG Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi All, 
    Wanted to share, fed my 3 children Pumpkin & Sage ravioli (fresh pasta) for dinner followed by Vanilla Cheesecake for dessert last night for the princely sum of 20 pence.....I topped with some cheese from the fridge and a glass of apple juice each which again we had in.
    Share your stories.....