Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping - Page 109

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 271K views

Replies

• LadyCouponLadyCoupon Forumite
    714 posts
    Eighth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    When Lidl opens in the morning, that's when they have the best reduced items, they have a little round sticker on, blue or green sticker, can't remember the colour. I've had whole fresh chickens for 90p each, packs of pork chops 70p, chicken breasts and mince, 70p or 90p a pack, they just go in the freezer if not using that same day.
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A good haul of YS convenience meals and various other stuffs at M&S over the holiday period. Seems to be the case around every bank holiday period here.
  • dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadyCoupon wrote: »
    When Lidl opens in the morning, that's when they have the best reduced items, they have a little round sticker on, blue or green sticker, can't remember the colour. I've had whole fresh chickens for 90p each, packs of pork chops 70p, chicken breasts and mince, 70p or 90p a pack, they just go in the freezer if not using that same day.

As with all YS and reductions it very much depends on where you live , as different stores operate differently. For example in Lidl near me , they usually do the 20p/ 70p/90p stickers within the first couple of hours of opening , so not available at opening time .
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    370 posts
    100 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    A good haul of YS convenience meals and various other stuffs at M&S over the holiday period. Seems to be the case around every bank holiday period here.

Same everywhere as people are still eating their Christmas food or going to family to do the same. Bought loads of mince, stewing steak and other meats.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It must be very regional. In my area Aldi, Morrisons, Tesco and a large indie supermarket were almost completely bargain free post Christmas. I was most surprised by Aldi as last it was a happy hunting ground for post-festive scalpers. Oh, well...
  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I done well in M&S on Christmas Eve , not so well post Christmas and got nowt from Tesco or Sainsburys at all this year

Our lidl have just introduced the really big reduction tickets and I got a lot of fish for the freezer for 20p a pop - very happy with that

But tbh with the way Christmas fell this year and me back to on the Friday /Sat and Sunday I didn't have much inclination to go hunting
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • kiwi07kiwi07 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Aldi has a "secret bargain hour" when the sale date approaching food gets reduced to 50% off. Does anyone know when this hour is? Just want to work out when is the best time to hit the shop to get the bargains. Thanks in advance.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    kiwi07 said:
    Apparently Aldi has a "secret bargain hour" when the sale date approaching food gets reduced to 50% off. Does anyone know when this hour is? Just want to work out when is the best time to hit the shop to get the bargains. Thanks in advance.
    I've noticed some bakery goodies with red and white half-price stripes after 8pm in the evening. Its usually if I'm heading home late and need some chocolate milk.

There's never a huge amount though, I put this down to good stock control or I may just be late to the party.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.
  • kiwi07kiwi07 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    kiwi07 said:
    I've noticed some bakery goodies with red and white half-price stripes after 8pm in the evening. Its usually if I'm heading home late and need some chocolate milk.

There's never a huge amount though, I put this down to good stock control or I may just be late to the party.
    According to the articles on internet, aldi's secret bargain hour is in the first hour of store opening? Hopefully someone here can confirm that?
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    kiwi07 said:
    According to the articles on internet, aldi's secret bargain hour is in the first hour of store opening? Hopefully someone here can confirm that?
    If it is, I think that is fair because it means that people who aren't working and would otherwise go hungry might be able to afford to eat.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.