edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 271.2K views

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK wrote: »
    Shock horror on staff getting first dips on the reduced bargains. I don't blame them.
    I sort of agree with the sentiment, but this is open to abuse if not closely monitored
    Staff YS items that are not really on use / sell date is one obvious consequence of unchecked staff first dibs policy
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Farway wrote: »
    I sort of agree with the sentiment, but this is open to abuse if not closely monitored
    Staff YS items that are not really on use / sell date is one obvious consequence of unchecked staff first dibs policy

Most staff will be honest and they won't be reducing stuff they shouldn't be especially when it's easily checked by department/duty manager.
  • Lip_StickLip_Stick Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've commented on this post before (suggesting donating to charity could be one reason for the fewer/poorer reductions). However I recently saw a Tesco advertisement which listed what they were doing to reduce food waste and it included having a "staff can take it away for free" [my wording] offer in their staff area. So which member of staff is going to mark down food which their co-workers can have for nothing if it is not sold to the public.?

That might be for best before items that are past their date that they wouldn't sell in store. I doubt it'd be for use by items that could be sold cheaply, as it is talking about waste.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • Lip_StickLip_Stick Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK wrote: »
    Most staff will be honest and they won't be reducing stuff they shouldn't be especially when it's easily checked by department/duty manager.

A member of staff at my work recently got fired for putting yellow sticker items away, then reducing them even further. He was the guy actually doing the reductions.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lip_Stick wrote: »
    That might be for best before items that are past their date that they wouldn't sell in store. I doubt it'd be for use by items that could be sold cheaply, as it is talking about waste.

See https://www.foodbev.com/news/tesco-give-free-food-away-staff-move-eliminate-waste/

from which -
    Tesco employees will be able to receive free food which is approaching its expiry date as the retailer seeks to prevent further food from going to waste.

The grocer said it will introduce ‘colleague shops’ in all of its UK stores, with dedicated storage areas and fridges set up in back-of-store colleague rooms to keep food on its best before date.

And we know that "best before" is not the same as "expiry date".
  • dd95dd95 Forumite
    165 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    hi all,

as above, what day/time of day do you find th best deals at supermarkets?

more specifically lidl and tesco!
  • dd95dd95 Forumite
    165 posts
    anyone have any tips on best time of day/days to find cheaper items in lidl and tesco?

thanks!
  • GrumpelstiltskinGrumpelstiltskin Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lidl have reduced items in the morning.

Tesco, or at least the one near me they take small amounts off during the afternoon and often even after they have reduced things twice it's only a small amount.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    dd95 wrote: »
    hi all,

as above, what day/time of day do you find th best deals at supermarkets?

more specifically lidl and tesco!
    Double posting, see replies to your post on your thread here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6087409
  • dd95dd95 Forumite
    165 posts
    apologies, i thought i had posted as a separate thread (thus couldn't find it) so posted new thread!

turns out i posted on here instead