Forum Home » Food Shopping & Groceries

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping - Page 106

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
1.1K replies 270.9K views

Replies

• dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of you are so lucky.

Some of it is luck ( I dont get reduced stuff every time I go looking ) - some of it is homework and getting to know the patterns of your local stores.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today peppers were 28p (they're 3 for £1 full price) so I held off and they went down again to 20p.

It's been ages since I had any decent cheese though. Or pizza. Unless it's really nice and under £1.50 I only allow myself £1 for a pizza.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only YS cheese I've had from M&S in 10 months is a blue and a Parmesan-type hard cheese. Both nice enough, but not your everyday fare.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of you are so lucky.

It seems to me that yellow stickers are far less generous than they used to be. Tesco knock 10-20% off by mid-afternoon when previously it was 50%; Morrisons have been very disappointing recently and last week there was no reduced bread in Morrisons at all.

A mix of lower % reductions and better stock control by supermarkets meaning less to reduce?

Also Tesco have closed their 'counters' which used to be a good source of reduced stuff near the end of the day.

I wonder if sending surplus stock to charities (food banks, hostels for the homeless or soup kitchen) is the reason. Perhaps they would rather say they had given away food to the value of £XXX rather than sell it for £X.
  • Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if sending surplus stock to charities (food banks, hostels for the homeless or soup kitchen) is the reason. Perhaps they would rather say they had given away food to the value of £XXX rather than sell it for £X.

I'm not denying that such causes are worthy, but they'd be grateful for value spaghetti in tins, whereas a Finest asparagus and prosciutto stone-baked pizza for 99p would make me really really happy in a way that sex no longer can.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The only YS cheese I've had from M&S in 10 months is a blue and a Parmesan-type hard cheese. Both nice enough, but not your everyday fare.

My mum often finds cheese in Asda with YS, Brie, blue cheese and ready grated. The latter, she has a box in the freezer with grated cheese - both shop bought grated and stuff she has grated herself in variety of cheeses. I bought some cheddar in Sainsburys deli for 55p for 400g and she grated the lot. Great for cauliflower cheese, savoury crumbles etc.
  • edited 1 September 2019 at 10:53AM
    VfM4meplseVfM4meplse PPR
    34.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 September 2019 at 10:53AM
    I saw something rather disturbing on Friday evening in my local Asda: a crowd of people waiting near the bakery for reduced goodies. I saw this at the start of my visit, spent time looking at the homewares and then did my shop - and 25 minutes later the crowd got even bigger. I would have liked a 20p treat myself (greed, not necessity) but didn't want to enter into the scrum when the shelf was eventually wheeled out; presumably these people have families to feed and a very limited budget. How much longer they had to wait, I don't know.

Yesterday evening I watched this on YouTube. Not the most recent upload, but I'd rather people were able to afford food than have to use a food bank.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Firstly I must apologise, haven't posted in a very long time, just rejoined, and am not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I think it is classed as a Grabbit, as the deals are daily and don't last long. I have yet to be successful locallly, as I do not live in a central area, but Glasgow and the surrounding area has many offers on a daily basis.
    What is Too Good to Go? It is an app that you download to your phone which shows the location of food available at a reduced cost from Restaurants, Cafes, Bakeries, etc. They are called 'Magic Bags', and an indication of what is in them is given You select your area and it gives a list of what and where the food is available. It is a great way to save food from being wasted and, if you re a busy person, like to get a bargain or simply like certain food then you can get a great deal.
    You are able to save your favourites and new places are added all the time. The bonus is you can pay with Paypal, Google pay or a debit card.
    Why not take a look.
    MSE Addiction, should come with a health warning:money:
  • MeeMee Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Just spotted in The Times (not my usual newspaper):

Hunt is on for Waitrose discounts, with end of infamous bargain bay
    For supermarket shoppers with sharp elbows and tight budgets, it is a favourite hunting ground.

But Waitrose’s “reduction bays” — racks laden with discounted groceries — will be scrapped this week in a blow to anybody who likes focaccia, buffalo mozzarella and quinoa, and likes it even more if the price has taken a hefty cut. One shopper is said to have snapped up groceries worth £47.50 for £4.45.

The supermarket chain confirmed this weekend that the bays of yellow-stickered bargain goods will be taken out of branches this week.

Waitrose will continue to cut prices on some items, such as those about to go past their sell-by date, but they will remain on the shelves in their usual places.

It does note that this practice varied anyway according to the space available at branches.

Also from article:

"The amount of stress it causes staff, particularly later on at closing time, is too much. It is a circus culture in which a horde of people most of whom can afford to pay full price - are fighting over sandwiches"
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mee wrote: »
    Also from article:
    "The amount of stress it causes staff, particularly later on at closing time, is too much. It is a circus culture in which a horde of people most of whom can afford to pay full price - are fighting over sandwiches"

As a manager I would never allow my staff to put up with that in the first place. They are paid min wage or just above. You have a right in your work place not be assaulted either physically or verbally. I would rather donate or bin than have my staff being stressed because of someone wanting a 10p sandwich.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin