Find The Cheapest Broadband Article Discussion Area

articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
To discuss or ask a question about this article: click the reply button.

Comments

• larochelleuk
    larochelleuk Posts: 119
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I have a contract with Orange which is over £30 per month on a 12 month contract (but I have read somewhere on here that they do not stick to the 18 month requirement all the time) - which means I'm eligible for the £5 a month broadband deal :)

However they don't seem to be available in the area. Does anyone know if I could set the deal up for a friend so that they could take advantage of it? wouldn't mind being on the bills.

Kind regards,

R
  • larochelleuk
    larochelleuk Posts: 119
    Forumite
    Actually forget that. I just saw this:

"less than three months left on your contract?
    You'll need to start a new contract with us for 12, 18 or 24 months. Sign up for 18 months or more and you can get a new phone. You will also need to sign a 12 month broadband contract.
    more than three months left on your contract?
    Simply restart your contract for the same amount of time. For example, if you're in month five of your 18 month contract, you can stay for another 18 months. You will also need to sign a 12 month broadband contract."

It's just a way of getting you to renew your mobile package :( And it only makes sense with the cashback from e2save anyway, which wouldn't be extended!

R
  • a440dc
    a440dc Posts: 5
    Forumite
    Hi,
    Surely all these prices assume that you already pay for a telephone landline whereas Virgin(formerlyNTL) provide cable modem broadband, with no telephone landline required at £9.99 per month
    DC
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Hi a440dc - you're correct which is why I specify it's a listing of cheapest 'standalone' broadband. The 'bundled' and 'with phone' article is on its way :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • The cheapest unbundled listed is at £9.99 - but that's what I pay ukonline. It isn't 8mb (only 1) but IS unlimited I think (no doubt a fair use policy lurks somewhere). Just wondering if you should have split the results into 'high speed a priority' and 'high volume a priority'.
    Happiness is cheap!
  • The Talktalk add-on price for those served by telephone exchanges where the 'free broadband' costs extra (i.e. where Talktalk has not unbundled that exchange), is now £15 per month - NOT £10 as Martin says in today's article!
  • Alzibiff
    Alzibiff Posts: 8
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use TISCALI and have done for a few years now. When I first tried to swap providers a while ago, TISCALI would not give me a MAC code. AHA - Now they WILL give me a MAC code but when I go to another provider, I am told that I have to cancel my TISCALI account first before they can act as my provider - with a potential 2 or more weeks wait in between times. This is something to do with a three letter acronym which I can't remember but when I did some digging, understood that TISCALI had taken ownership of the Broadband circuits in my local exchange which could not be used by an alternative provider. Does this make sense?
  • klint
    klint Posts: 265
    Forumite
    One of your recommendations is PlusNet. Are you aware that they have recently leaked their customers' email addresses to spammers? Also, one of their webmail servers got hacked into and a trojan virus was placed on it which some customers could have downloaded.
  • Alzibiff wrote: »
    I use TISCALI and have done for a few years now. When I first tried to swap providers a while ago, TISCALI would not give me a MAC code. AHA - Now they WILL give me a MAC code but when I go to another provider, I am told that I have to cancel my TISCALI account first before they can act as my provider - with a potential 2 or more weeks wait in between times. This is something to do with a three letter acronym which I can't remember but when I did some digging, understood that TISCALI had taken ownership of the Broadband circuits in my local exchange which could not be used by an alternative provider. Does this make sense?

Yes. Tiscali use LLU (local loop unbundling) where they install their own hardware into the exchange.
    I guess you would have to cancel so that that hardware is removed from your line in order for a regular ISP to take you on.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429
    Forumite
    Why can't people just have another broadband installed in a property by another company then cancel the old one so they arent left without connection. Cant people have more than one broadband connection in a house? There wouldnt be any need to wait for a mac code then would there or am I totally missunderstanding?
    Thanx

Lady_K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family