Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• kaggi
    kaggi Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    If your flight to Newark was on time and the delay was fully outside the EU on a non-EU airline then the airline will refuse compensation as they will say EU261 does not apply.
    There is a view from some people that, given all on one ticket it should, but this will involve you going to court yourself as the NWNF companies will not take this type of case on.
    There have been others on here that said they were going to try that but I have not seen any successful tales of delays fully outside the EU qualifying for anything under EU261
    (you will find similar scenarios under the US and Canadian airline thread and the non-EU airlines thread)
    Initially you would contact United, they will then reject the claim and you can decide whether you want to try court or agree that it does not qualify for EU261 compensation

Thanks for this, but as I booked with, and had a flight number for Lufthansa (who are European) would this not mean my claim should go through them? This was deliberate as I was stuck in the US at the time of the adh cloud do know how little rights passenger's have on US airlines
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EU261 claims are made from the operating carrier.(the regulations are clear on this) Any delay on the Lufthansa flight would be directed to them any claim on the US Domestic flight goes to United.
    Codeshares are for marketing, it does not give you any different protection under EU regulations, a United flight with a Lufthansa flight number booked with Lufthansa is a United flight for the purpose of EU261
  • kaggi
    kaggi Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    EU261 claims are made from the operating carrier.(the regulations are clear on this) Any delay on the Lufthansa flight would be directed to them any claim on the US Domestic flight goes to United.
    Codeshares are for marketing, it does not give you any different protection under EU regulations, a United flight with a Lufthansa flight number booked with Lufthansa is a United flight for the purpose of EU261

Thanks, so does that mean that no-one really has the right to decide who they fly with and who their contract is with if airlines can just randomly move you to a different airline governed by different policies/laws? Doesn't seem fair to be honest, if I chose to fly with someone I would have thought my contract is with whoever I paid the money too. Thanks anyway for your help. United have offered me $50 off any future flights, which is the same as nothing as I will not be voluntarily using them again.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Options
    It is a requirement that airline tell you who the actual carrier is at the time of booking so you haven't been "moved". Airlines code share to make it appear they have more services than they actually have and often it is cheaper to book on the non operating carrier than direct with the real airline, mad but true. No one has mislead you, Lufthansa have never flown from any UK airport direct to the US, or indeed anywhere else apart from Germany, sorry
  • Caz3121
    Options
    kaggi wrote: »
    Thanks, so does that mean that no-one really has the right to decide who they fly with and who their contract is with if airlines can just randomly move you to a different airline governed by different policies/laws?

Looking at EDI-TPA on the Lufthansa website, the option very clearly shows "Operated by United Airlines" against both flights. If you wanted to fly to Tampa on an EU carrier with one stop, the option would have been EDI-LGW-TPA with BA
  • kelsbels15
    Options
    Can someone help me please, I eventually caught a ryanair flight from Limoges to East Midlands a couple of weeks ago. The plane was due to depart Limoges at 14.50 (french time), and to arrive at East Mids at 16.30 (english time), but due to a fuel pump problem, we did not arrive into east midlands until 19.00, can someone confirm whether or not I am entitled to compensation please?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am afraid not. You are only due compensation if your flight lands at your destination more that 3 hours late. your flight was 2.30 mins late so no compensation.
  • Caz3121
    Options
    kelsbels15 wrote: »
    Can someone help me please, I eventually caught a ryanair flight from Limoges to East Midlands a couple of weeks ago. The plane was due to depart Limoges at 14.50 (french time), and to arrive at East Mids at 16.30 (english time), but due to a fuel pump problem, we did not arrive into east midlands until 19.00, can someone confirm whether or not I am entitled to compensation please?

guide is here but, simplistically, the delay needs to be over 3 hours delayed arrival for compensation (so No for a 2.5 hour delay)
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5173888
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bumpd for neatness
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • LT
    LT Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Just read your reply about flight delays on codesharing flights. Are you saying that no-one has ever won flight delay compensation on a codeshare. KLM sell code shares daily to USA from Amsterdam. So if the flight to Amsterdam from UK is delayed and the USA connection is missed, no matter how long the delay, KLM will never have to pay because they operate codeshares daily? This seems like a loophole for the airlines to me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback