Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got caught up in this usual French " ooh its snowed a bit in the Alps" debacle that is the Autoroute A43/48 nightmare. At least you made your plane at Lyon - I had to drive up to Paris to get a flight next day for home!
    It could be argued that, as the snow time and level had been predicted accurately for the previous 4 days at least, so airports should have been prepared well in advance for something that was not extraordinary. Lyon IS the airport for the French Alps and very large, no large shed like Grenoble, so should be well equipped for ice and snow. The snow didn't start until 11am, what time was your flight? By the time I got to Lyon at 7pm, it had all gone, so there wasn't much and it wasnt that cold/freezing either.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • c_v
    c_v Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    My TAP flight today from Manchester to Lisbon was cancelled due to pilot strike. I know industrial action is counted as an exceptional circumstance, therefore compensation will not be given. However, TAP have behaved extremely poorly. They knew about the industrial action, yet refused to cancel the flight until 3 hours before departure. They have been impossible to get hold of, and were continuing to sell seats on the flight despite knowing about the strike.

I was just wondering, if it is still worth putting in a claim for compensation? It's been incredibly stressful, has ruined our holiday, and at no point could we talk to TAP to get re-routed so have had to pay for another flight, much more expensive and gets us to Lisbon 24hours later than originally intended

Thanks for your help
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    c_v - compensation IS due if the industrial action was TAP's own staff, not French ATC or similar. HR problems are inherent in the operation of an airline, and within their control.
    Get your claim in.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • c_v
    c_v Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Ok that's good to know. Cannot get through to TAP on the phone to ask to apply for compensation so have emailed...
    Thank you
  • Meadowman
    Meadowman Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Does the delay caused by the TAP pilots' strike qualify us for compensation under EU rules? We turned up for our flight from Funchal at 9.30am on Saturday to find it had been cancelled. We spent the next 5 hours standing in a queue to have TAP get us on a later flight to Lisbon where we'd already missed our connecting flight to Heathrow. They'd told us to find our own hotel in Lisbon for which they would refund us 60 Euros between the two of us. We reached home one day and one hour late. During the delay at Funchal we were twice given food vouchers for 16 Euros each. If we are eligible, is there a template claim letter somewhere?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Meadowman wrote: »
    Does the delay caused by the TAP pilots' strike qualify us for compensation under EU rules? We turned up for our flight from Funchal at 9.30am on Saturday to find it had been cancelled. We spent the next 5 hours standing in a queue to have TAP get us on a later flight to Lisbon where we'd already missed our connecting flight to Heathrow. They'd told us to find our own hotel in Lisbon for which they would refund us 60 Euros between the two of us. We reached home one day and one hour late. During the delay at Funchal we were twice given food vouchers for 16 Euros each. If we are eligible, is there a template claim letter somewhere?

As per post #424 above, you can claim
    details can be found in Vauban's guide http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5173888
  • Lock5
    Lock5 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    A quick response to say SUCCESS with Iberia.
    I contacted the AESA in Spain and they looked at both of my cases. Regular contact from them to give me updates and then today, a couple of months after I wrote to AESA, I have had an email from Iberia telling me I am entitled to compensation and asking for details of where to send the cheque.
    Worth the wait!
  • Manxphil
    Manxphil Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Lock5 wrote: »
    A quick response to say SUCCESS with Iberia.
    I contacted the AESA in Spain and they looked at both of my cases. Regular contact from them to give me updates and then today, a couple of months after I wrote to AESA, I have had an email from Iberia telling me I am entitled to compensation and asking for details of where to send the cheque.
    Worth the wait!

After 18 months I too received a cheque from Iberia (via my Spanish Lawyers)...AESA confirmed my claim but they do not have the power to force Iberia to pay up...so took an age and legal fees...(non recoverable)
  • Lock5
    Lock5 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Manxphil wrote: »
    After 18 months I too received a cheque from Iberia (via my Spanish Lawyers)...AESA confirmed my claim but they do not have the power to force Iberia to pay up...so took an age and legal fees...(non recoverable)

Sounds like I had it easier then.
    AESA wrote agreeing that I should get compensation and straight away Iberia contacted me. They wanted copy of passport faxed to them and I sent marriage certificate too as name changed since travel.
    Last week got cheque in post for £467. Just AESA agreeing was enough for me.
  • bcrisp
    Options
    Hello, me and my partner had an easyjet flight from London Southend to Amsterdam cancelled on Saturday 25th July due to weather conditions in Amsterdam. Our flight was delayed 2 hours, then we all got on the plane only to be told the flight had then been cancelled. Although easyjet offered a hotel room for those who did not live locally (which we did so we had no need for the hotel) and they scheduled another flight for the following morning (20 hours later) we still paid for our hotel in Amsterdam for the Saturday night which we could not spend there. I have emailed easy jet and they have said that they cannot give compensation as it is 'extreme circumstances'. Our hotel could not refund us the cost of the room for the Saturday night as it was not their fault. Is this correct that we are not entitled to compensation from Easyjet? If it is not, please can someone advise what the next step we should take is?
    I look forward to receiving some advise!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback