Flight delay compensation, all other non-EU airlines

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2016 at 3:34PM
    Options
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    last week I flew from LHR-AUH-BKK with Etihad ( booked directly )

the LHR-AUH flight was fine it wasn't until we got to Abu Dhabi that the problems started to happen , originally the flight was supposed to land at 07:05 and depart for BKK at 10:20 , we arrived on time and it wasn't until about 09:30 that the display boards were saying flight delayed wait for update , the departure time passed and the staff didn't know anything kept saying we are awaiting an update

got to midday and an announcement was put of speaker that update at 13:00 this came and went , it was until around 15:00 that an announcement was made saying the flight was delayed until 21:25 , a couple things happened during this time , we were given water but no food , I went and bought my own , I overheard an English couple saying they were going to try ask for help as the staff at departures were useless so I followed them and they were offered a hotel on-site although only for about 4hrs and I got the same and was given a meal at hotel.

time we took finally departed and arrived in BKK we were 12hrs later than original time

so my question is would it be worth asking for some for of compensation even if its just my 1st night hotel accommodation
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kernow666 wrote: »
    last week I flew from LHR-AUH-BKK with Etihad ( booked directly )

the LHR-AUH flight was fine it wasn't until we got to Abu Dhabi that the problems started to happen , originally the flight was supposed to land at 07:05 and depart for BKK at 10:20 , we arrived on time and it wasn't until about 09:30 that the display boards were saying flight delayed wait for update , the departure time passed and the staff didn't know anything kept saying we are awaiting an update

got to midday and an announcement was put of speaker that update at 13:00 this came and went , it was until around 15:00 that an announcement was made saying the flight was delayed until 21:25 , a couple things happened during this time , we were given water but no food , I went and bought my own , I overheard an English couple saying they were going to try ask for help as the staff at departures were useless so I followed them and they were offered a hotel on-site although only for about 4hrs and I got the same and was given a meal at hotel.

time we took finally departed and arrived in BKK we were 12hrs later than original time

so my question is would it be worth asking for some for of compensation even if its just my 1st night hotel accommodation

Please read the previous post on this thread here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70577392&postcount=540

Have a good read of Vaubans guide too and you can then judge for yourself.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • htb
    htb Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Originally Posted by htb
    Im in the same position with a united airlines 'journey' as they call it. delayed at LHR so missed connection. I think you need to look at whether you had a single ticket reference for the whole journey and if I understand it correctly its the end destination on that ticket that counts. Verbauns guide is really useful to check as referred to on the forum. United refused several times, took it to the CAA and CAA have written in my favours but cannot force the airline to pay as they are not an ombudsman. I have issued my claim via Moneyclaimonline today, its cost £105 but they need to respond within 14 days . I am hoping the CAA letter will add weight to my claim if it gets to the stage where united plan to defend the claim.

Update: Well, as of today United Airlines has not responded to the small claims court, so I have requested judgement to be made against them (moneyclaimonline)... not sure how long this takes, or what chances of success, but will keep you posted. Any one else had success other than Lynda.[/QUOTE]

Update 7th May: judgement was issued on 27/4/16 by the court (it took them 3 days) - United didn't respond to the claim at all - I'm waiting to see whether they pay, seek to set aside or whether they'll make me pay to enforce .... not sure what that process is (or how much it will cost). very frustrating!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    htb if your claim is over £600 inc court cots (did you include interest?) take to Sherrifs. They can enforce much more easily, unlike bailiffs. Have a search the forum for Sherrifs. You may even get it on the telly!

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/559170-bailiffs-call-jet2-com.html
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • htb
    htb Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    htb if your claim is over £600 inc court cots (did you include interest?) take to Sherrifs. They can enforce much more easily, unlike bailiffs. Have a search the forum for Sherrifs. You may even get it on the telly!

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/559170-bailiffs-call-jet2-com.html

Will have a look at that - yes I included interest from the time United said on resolver that they would no longer respond to me (after offering $300 each as a gesture). should have had 600 euros x4 people, so my claim at the moment is just over £2000
  • DIYBaldyman
    DIYBaldyman Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bumped....
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    SUCCESS THROUGH PERSEVERANCE.
    Flight delays - Vauban's Guide has been of immense help - please read it before posting questions - I'll be surprised if your answers aren't in there.
    April 2016 - successfully claimed €1600 from Thomas Cook for 6 hour delay in August 2015
    Old debt passed to collection agency? Issue CCA request & possibly have debt rendered unenforceable. Feb 2021 - £42 of old debt legally written off & cost £1 per account.
  • Derek_Howlett
    Options
    Hello, I am looking for advice due to conflicting articles i have seen.

I had a flight with Emirates to Phuket from LGW connecting in Dubai. LGW - DXB arrived on time and the DXB -HKT departed on time however we were then diverted to Mumbai due to an engine issue and ended up arriving in Phuket 12 hours late. Some arcticles seem to imply it is the final destination arrival time that matters others suggest that the second leg departing outside EU and operated by non EU airline means the delay doesn't come under the EU ruling.

Can someone clarify the situation please

Thanks

Derek
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am sure these cases are already referenced in this thread but
    Emirates will deny compensation as not delayed in the EU
    NWNF will not take these cases on so you will be looking to take it to court yourself
    here are some similar examples
    https://www.flightdelays.co.uk/blog/2015/1308/connecting-flights-and-regulation-2612004
    https://www.dlapiper.com/~/media/Files/Insights/Publications/2013/12/The%20ambit%20of%20EC%20regulation%202612004%20%20Missed%20fligh__/Files/AviationmissedflightconnectionsoutsideEU/FileAttachment/AviationmissedflightconnectionsoutsideEU.pdf
    I suspect they may offer you some miles and it will be down to you whether you want to take the expense of taking it to court in hope of finding a judge that will force EU261 (and disagreeing with the other cases)
  • ShirleyLH
    Options
    We booked a package holiday with Hayes & Jarvis and were due to depart from Birmingham Airport on EK038 on the 28th April. We had through tickets to Phuket with a stop at Dubai for a three hour layover before our connecting flight. An announcement was made that the plane we should have been on had been struck by lightening on its inbound flight and there would be a delay and then a further announcement that the flight was cancelled. We were provided with a meal and hotel accommodation and told we would be accommodated not on the next flight out at 9.20 the next morning but the one after that at 14.20. When we got to Dubai we realised that instead of the original 3 hour layover we now had one of 10 hours. By the time we got to our hotel we were over 24 hrs late. I have written to Emirates to seek compensation but they are saying that the cancellation circumstances are considered to be 'Force Majeure' and beyond their control and that compensation under regulation EC261 does not apply on this occasion. From what I have read on this site I kind of expected this response but have also read that meteorological conditions should directly affect the flight you are on and not preceding flights and that there was a successful court case earlier this year in which it was judged that lightening strikes happen frequently, that planes are built to withstand these and as such are part of flying aircraft. I am considering putting it in the hands of Bott & Co but would appreciate any advice or further opinion.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback