The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• Siouxsie32
    Siouxsie32 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options

Having a wee worry about a creepy neighbour... couple of weeks ago, first time met him, asked twice for number and I was on way out, asked when I went to bed (ehhh??!!) Fobbed him off but saw him again in a shop and avoided like the plague but think he hung about a bit and it's a worry, though maybe I'm too worried... don't know though, you have to be careful!

When I first moved here, I thought my neighbour was a freaky creep - it's really unsettling isn't it? I've actually got to know mine a bit over the last year and he's actually quite a nice guy. I think he's just a bit misunderstood. It's always good to trust your instincts so just keep him at arms length (actually, not arms length at all...bargepole style :)) for a while and see if your feeling stays.
  • alliboy03
    Options
    Hi is it to late to join? I know you've all already done 11 days but I only just saw this on martin lewis's email.
    This challenge is just what I need to kick me up the backside in spending less money. I hope I can join:money:

DFWNERD no.1168Rules of Happiness 1)Free your heart of hatred 2) Live Simply 3):jEvery penny's a prisoner
  • beckyboo1980_2
    Options
    Morning everyone
    So sorry I've been MIA for the last few days. Everything is so busy here with hubby working all hours God send to set up as freelance. Lots of work seems to be coming in already which is fantastic, but just hope this will be sustained and not fade out over the next few months. he is now at home with our twin baby boys during the day while I am at school, then as soon as I get home, he hops upstairs and starts work at his desk and finishes generally about 2am. Although we are both quite tired he is loving being at home with the boys, and he seems much happier. like I said, just hope we can keep the momentum of work going! Even better, we are saving at least £800 per month on a childminder:j:j:j:j:j
    He's not yet earning anywhere near what he was in his job before he was made redundant so its not like I now have that money spare to throw at our debts (if only!!!!) but the aim is to build his business up there!
    Budgets are bit screwed but managing to try and keep a rein on as many things as possible. Haven't managed to update signatures yet but food budget is exceeded already:eek:. However, fuel is well under and misc' is still slightly under. Hubbys exhaust fell off his car yesterday so that cost £120 to get fixed and my car is also due in the garage on Friday for new brakes and tyres:mad: Expensive week car wise but I have a little money that I put aside at the beginning of the month which should almost cover this (hopefully!!!) hate spending money on cars - just seems such a waste:(
    Anyway, better get on at work. Hope everyone is well and nearly halfway through the month!!! Half term next week - can't wait to be at home with all the children. Already planning lots of cheapy days fun!
    Beckyboo
    XXX
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2014 #45
    £1197.48/£12,047 - 9.9%
    The Janus Illusion #22
    SFD - 5/20
  • thriftylass
    Options
    Morning everyone
    So sorry I've been MIA for the last few days. Everything is so busy here with hubby working all hours God send to set up as freelance. Lots of work seems to be coming in already which is fantastic, but just hope this will be sustained and not fade out over the next few months. he is now at home with our twin baby boys during the day while I am at school, then as soon as I get home, he hops upstairs and starts work at his desk and finishes generally about 2am. Although we are both quite tired he is loving being at home with the boys, and he seems much happier. like I said, just hope we can keep the momentum of work going! Even better, we are saving at least £800 per month on a childminder:j:j:j:j:j
    He's not yet earning anywhere near what he was in his job before he was made redundant so its not like I now have that money spare to throw at our debts (if only!!!!) but the aim is to build his business up there!

XXX

That sounds hectic but also fantastic. I'm so glad that things turned out more positive so soon. Long may it continue and good luck with hubby's business.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • PurpleJay
    Options
    Morning all.

Just waiting the dreaded phone call about how much the car will be. I have transferred money from my other 'pots' to cover it so luckily the money is there, but then won't be there for something else. Feel a bit better about it now. These things happen don't they at least we weren't going on holiday when it happened or something! Hubby can get to uni on the bus and I am at home. I am at hospital tomorrow but if we don't have it back by then, we can get the bus.

I am going to spend a couple of hours doing paperwork for the NCT. I am treasurer for our local branch, although I don't really have time and am always behind with it. (National Childbirth Trust btw).

Beckyboo - great news about hubby setting up freelance and glad it is going well. Fingers crossed for you. That is a big saving on childminder fees so while he won't be earning as much when you take that into account, with the cost of actually going to work - travel costs and such like it might not be as bad as it first seems. Good luck with it all.

I have just arranged for M to have a trial 1:1 swimming lesson to see how he gets on. He had lessons before at the leisure centre but prefered the (expensive) 1:1 lessons to the group ones. Last time we booked group ones he went twice and then refused to go. I would rather pay for 1:1s than throw money away! I don't blame him really, the local pool is cold, there was 10 in the group and it is noisy so he can't hear the teacher properly and there is loads of standing around and not much swimming! The 1:1s at least you get their full attention and can work on what you need. The new one is at a hotel as there is no space at the leisure centre so it should be nicer. The company have a good reputation but it is £20.50 for half an hour! I think he will start after half term and if he likes it will go up to easter and see how he gets on. I think it is really important for him to learn. He is just out of armbands but can only swim for as long as he can hold his breath. When he breathes he stops! We are going to take him once a week too to practice.

For those with little ones, what are you planning for half term? I hope to be back driving and do at least one trip to the cinema, one swimming and am going to have a look what the local national trust houses have on as we are members. We will visit grandma and maybe do some crafting which we never seem to have time to do these days and some baking. I also need to take him to have his feet measured and possibly new shoes.

I have done a sainsburys online shop for today as we have no car and had a £12 off 60 voucher. However, I have decided to stock up and spent just over £100 to get free delivery. I have tried to stock up on the things which we will definitely need and have bought 2 big boxes of PG tips for example at £4 a box for 240 tea bags so that will last us ages. I have ordered the £10 meal deal for valentines (mushroom and leak rissotto, melting chocolate pud and white wine) with extra salad. I hope the main is in stock as there was no veggie substitute. It is coming between 1 and 2pm.

Right time to get on with my paperwork and get off here!!
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • karmachilovething
    Options
    KarmaChi - I can read miniture writing you know.. if the coat is still there is might be destiny as fur coats don't hang around for long. I permit thee to re-attend on the 28th only. How much is it by the way..?

Worth a try though, right ;) it's £55, so not terrible, but enough to make me think twice. I have always wanted one and never found one I liked. I want a fake one, but not something that looks like a teddy bear that's been left out in the rain :rotfl: you know how they go grubby and matted?! As you say, wait and if it's still there it's destiny.

My best ever "destiny" buy was a sequined dress from French C0nnection. Saw it full price and loved it, but at £250 even in my CC bashing days saw it was waaaay too much. Later found it in the sale, last one, my size, £45. Week before my birthday too. If that's not desinty I don't know what is! :rotfl:
    I think a houseshare will be the best choice as its around £800 a month on my own excluding bills for a decent flat. I am not prepared to pay that and £500 is my absolute maximum!! I have a girl who wants to move in with me but its hard finding a two bed in this area that will allow cats.. so I might be on my own!!:(

I totally can sympathise. I'm looking for potential houses for the summer, sharing with a couple of friends and a cat. Most of what is out there is total carp. Damp and smelly. Yuk!
    alliboy03 wrote: »
    Hi is it to late to join? I know you've all already done 11 days but I only just saw this on martin lewis's email.
    This challenge is just what I need to kick me up the backside in spending less money. I hope I can join:money:

Did we make the email?! Kat you're (MSE) famous!
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    Good afternoon all,

I have been missing for a couple of days, but now back and throwing myself at UFC.

Had quite an expensive weekend visiting a few different friends, and went to Sainbugs last night so no SFDs for the last 3. I am determined NOT to spend today or tomorrow though.

I am over halfway through my budget already :eek: but I guess we are only 2 days short of being halfway through the month, so as long as I am uber strict for the next couple of weeks, I should be ok!

Keep at it chaps and chapesses :)
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • poodlegal
    Options
    Hi all, just checking in. Had a spendy day yesterday, petrol and A*dis food but all needed and within budget so thats ok.

For tea tonight is home made parsnip soup (bet your impressed PJ ;) ) that I had frozen a batch of and I got a wee soda bread from A*dis yesterday so that will be nice. Decided we will have pancakes on Thursday lunch as the kids are off school then and we can make an afternoon of making the batter and toppings etc free activities and cheap meal what more could you want :money:
    Struggling to keep the heating off as its mighty cold but managing to do without apart from a few hours in the evening thank goodness for my warm poodles on the couch in the evening and electric blanket in bed much needed when DH is away!:p
    Hope everyones happy!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had another SFD here today. Yesterday I popped to the shops as we needed flour, fabric conditioner and a few other bits and bobs as I want to bake tomorrow (for work and my birthday). But it was all reduced or value range. Should not have to spend the rest of the week and hopefully the weekend.

I wish people would leave feed back when they receive their item (ebay) so paypal can release my funds :p. I'm always worried they didn't receive it whereas they're prob just busy :o. Already got some (well one each) watchers on some items and a bid on things ending sunday. So there is hope they might shift.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon all - sadly not a SFD here but did donate to a local charity which provides a food bank in lieu of buying a homeless person a drink.

Stressful day at work - school - followed by an evening at school with the first night of a show. Its going to be a long week!
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business