The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• Siouxsie32
    Siouxsie32 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Good morning everyone...actually, it's afternoon now isn't it :o Lazy morning for me! Good to read everyone's stories...you're all doing brilliantly.

PurpleJay, your post made me want to cry. Serious hugs are on their way to you :grouphug: It is one thing that really terrifies me with my parents getting older. I'm lucky enough to still have them both (and I know I'm lucky) but it's hard to not get paranoid and scared trying to tell the difference between a bit of old age forgetfulness and the potential onset of something more sinister. One of grandparents had dementia so it's never far from my paranoid mind. It must be really difficult for you, but well done for not hiding your son from the situation. Kids are great and adapt to anything so I'm sure you're right, both he and your mum will get a lot from spending time together.

So far I've managed precisely no SFDs! I had an impromptu catch up with a friend over a glass of wine on Friday and we chatted so late I ended up staying the night at hers so we went out for dinner last night too! Didn't spend a lot and I cancelled my planned night out with another friend since my money was diverted here instead so I'm still on budget!). Plus, I had bought a birthday gift for the second friend but since I won't see her until next month I can take it back :) We don't normally do birthday gifts but I saw this and thought it would be perfect. Oh well, she'll never know and I'll be £15 better off :)).

Off to meet another friend for coffee this afternoon but that's ok - I used a Starbucks voucher to treat us last time so it's her turn today so I can still make this my first SFD of the month!

One of my plans for this year is to nurture my friendships a bit better. I spend so much time working and doing overtime and other money making ventures (and not spending!), that I found it quite hard to keep up with friends as much as I wanted to last year so this year I'm dedicating at least one day/night a month purely to spend with friends. It was lovely catching up properly so roll on March when I get to see friend B!!
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know, I just find it a bit grotty - I think I am just a terrible snob! I don't think the quality of fresh produce is very good and in my opinion their own brand stuff just isn't as nice as some others.
    Our nearest one is right next to a really rough area and I just get cross with the parents who seem to let their kids cause mayhem and the seemingly neverending number of people with trollies full of crap who look really unhealthy - I just want to scream at them "STOP EATING ALL THAT RUBBISH!!". Now I know you will get that in all supermarkets, but our Asda seems particularly bad.
    It's mostly just my snobbery, but I get so angry if I go there - find it best not to!! Oh and plus, I always bump into my students there so I tend not to go for that reason too!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    I look at peoples trollies too and sometimes the trolly is full but there is absolutely no nutrition whatsoever- they are basically paying good money for a trolley load of sugar, additives and fat. Even my children have commented on the lack of proper food some people seem to eat.
  • Learning2Budget
    Options
    SFD!!!!! Not going anywhere as i am nursing a slightly sore head but had a fab night out and came home with change from my £30.....bus, curry, fair few drinks and taxi home. Think i did ok but Im still not as hardcore as some of you guys!

Tomorrow won't be a sfd, other half has doctors so have said I'll give him a lift there and do food shop and fuel fill up at same time.

Purplejay my heart goes out to you, my grandad had dementia and i know it petrifies my dad, who has an incredibly active brain.

Just realised that i did an incomplete shop last week and my meal plan is wrong. Thought we were having an easy tea of pizza and we haven't got any!!!! Grrrr. Off to raid the freezer! L2B.x
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
  • lionheartedgirl
    Options
    niksyg wrote: »
    I don't know, I just find it a bit grotty - I think I am just a terrible snob! I don't think the quality of fresh produce is very good and in my opinion their own brand stuff just isn't as nice as some others.
    Our nearest one is right next to a really rough area and I just get cross with the parents who seem to let their kids cause mayhem and the seemingly neverending number of people with trollies full of crap who look really unhealthy - I just want to scream at them "STOP EATING ALL THAT RUBBISH!!". Now I know you will get that in all supermarkets, but our Asda seems particularly bad.
    It's mostly just my snobbery, but I get so angry if I go there - find it best not to!! Oh and plus, I always bump into my students there so I tend not to go for that reason too!

these are exactly my reasons too. The other big 4 aren't a whole lot better but my experience of Asdas has never been good. I find it incredibly scary how much crap food is ALWAYS on promotion there - shelves literally stacked high (higher than the others I feel! but then I am small!) with junk food on 2-4-1, BOGOF etc and it is so cheap to come out with sugary processed food. I don't think it sends a great message.
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2013 at 3:31PM
    Options
    Afternoon all - I have walked the dogs - frogmarched might be a better explanation and am now confident that today will be a sfd since I have no intention of going out again.

The fire is lit and I am planning a sewing afternoon in front of it. Meanwhile I came across a site offerring quilting holidays - reasonably priced accomodation, food, and the facilities to quilt in peace. A three nights stay would cost £210 plus (depending on the season) and its started me thinking - is it possible to have an at home holiday? Can I plan - and execute - a programme where I would feel chilled and relaxed yet cost me next to nothing? Sometimes you have to go away to really relax but I am going to plan a dummy run at half term in a fortnights time - two days - one night - sewing classes, fresh air walks with the dogs and nice food. No cleaning / slobbing out in front of the tv / dressing down. Just cost free peace and tranquility. Possible?
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Hi all

Glad to see you are sounding a bit more positive now PJ, must be really difficult for you.

The Martini is erm, different. I may have another go at it tonight then I think the rest may have to be used as drain cleaner.

Ninno, that sounds really restful. This wouldnt work for me, we tried a holiday at home for a few days last year but I still had to do the cooking, cleaning, washing, yelling at people to pick up their stuff etc. Then I had to plan the days out, organise the picnics, empty the car afterwards and so on. Restful? Err no, not exactly.

Asda? Dont really like it, dont know why, would actually rather go to Lidl. I find the meat is better quality in Lidl too.

So another SFD for me today - which makes it a SFW (spend free weekend). Off to do some baking and batch cooking now, busy week this week. I have taken the kids to footie and frogmarched my doggie too so have had my quota of fresh air for the day.
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    Oh sooo glad that others feel the same way about Asda! Phew!

Ninno I love the idea of having a holiday at home..During my long summer holiday I etry to do at least a 4 day stretch of just doing the things that make me happy...no cleaning, house jobs etc. It's tough as I always find things I could do or that need doing, but I try to make the most of where I live in that time and just focus on me and what I enjoy. It's a good opportunity to do the things in the local area you don't normally do, but if you were visiting you might. Or visiting somewhere new to walk the dog, or a new route.
    Good luck with it at half term!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 February 2013 at 8:14PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!!

Hope you're all having a nice peaceful Sunday or a good day at work...

PJ - Will add my :grouphug: too. My Nan had dementia and it was hard seeing her drifting away. I believe (and these are just personal musings) that in people with dementia and alzheimer's - their soul has already started to leave to wherever it is we go... I guess it's like the car (body) is on auto-pilot, but the driver (person inside) has popped off to do something else. Maybe it's a way of making the transition to the other side a little more gradually, rather than an abrupt passing? I don't know. It gave me some comfort to imagine my Nan was off somewhere enjoying herself, even if her body was bound to an armchair in her Nursing Home.

Lol - re. mystery freezer meals! I have chilli, stew and a lentil and potato concoction now! 7 meals sorted... I could get into this!!!

Ninno - A holiday like that sounds peaceful indeed... mind you - I can just about thread a needle - it ends there! Still - a peaceful retreat reading would by lovely...

Lionheart - Am seriously impressed with your porridge dedication. I have it in the cupboard and I struggle... I know it's easy and really good for me - I just rebel and the toast devil appears on my shoulder!!!

The Supermarket debate rages!!! I use MySupermarket comparison thing sometimes. If ASDA or Sainsbury's or Tesco have something I usually buy for cheap - then I'll just go to them. I'm pretty well controlled now. Try the PoundStore or places like that... I admit I have been a supermarket snob in the past... but I saved a lot. They had a lot of big brand stuff at much cheaper, and some 3 for 2 offers. E.g Loyd Grossman Pasta Sauce which I *love* but are expensive... ASDA £1.88 - Poundland £0.75. Ok - they only had one variety but hey! There isn't the choice but they have good stuff!!! I'll be going back!

Siouxsie- I really get what you mean about friendships. My life seems like it's all work work work. Admittedly I don't have that many friends locally - but I am aware I have let them slide... Friends I have in Bristol for example - we'd typically go out on the razz and clubbing but I would easily sink £50+ and I'd want to buy new clothes in case I met Mr Right (or Mr Right-Now haha!)... I haven't been out in nearly a year and haven't seen them. My social/love life is non-existant! Need to take a leaf out of your book!!!

L2Budget - Need a night out like that too!!!

Welcome to newbies Rebekah and Happy :)

To anyone I've no
    t mentioned - I've read your posts too!!! Thanks for all keeping me inspired!!!

Last but by no means least... NSK - hope you're doing ok!!! How goes the saving for your hols?Have you started your £1 tin off yet? Thanks for the £10 treat :) My tenner is safely stashed in one of my money jars!!! Roll on February 28th!!!

Am just going to throw this out there... If anyone lives around Dorset/Somerset and fancies starting a <cheap> social
    ... I'd be up for it!!! Just a thought!!!
    :beer:

Hugs Everyone!!!

DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Well a very good evening to you all!

Someone annoyed me today so in comfort I went straight to the work vending machine, wasted £1.35 on a can of Pepsi and a Drifter bar!! I am at work and will be here until 2300 but loaded to the eyeballs with sugar so I don't care.... would love to be at home right now but am gearing up for an 0430 start tomorrow.. and Tuesday...**think of the money, think of the money**

Asda debate eh? I have only a Tesco near me.. it's hard as I would love to pop to Lidls first, have a scan then back to Tescos.. but they are too far apart and by the time I am home on my bike from work I am shattered... Mr T is the only way for me at the moment... I find Asda too big,. too busy and too muddled though.. Is that just me?

Bought my stash at Mr T's and since you are limited on a motorbike I bought a heavy-duty bag for the back plus my rucksack as I went straight from work... I had the back one stuffed and attached where a pillion would sit.. as it was SO full my rucksack on my back had to rest on top of it.. shoving the rucksack near above my head and making it almost difficult to hold my head up high enough to ride home....made for an interesting spectacle I can tell you...:p

So I managed to make some pasta sauce and am ready for tomorrow as well. It's a long old 12 hour shift and I need to make sure I can keep myself happy - with FOOD!!!! :rotfl:.. and some snacks... Tesco 12 bags of Everyday Value cheese puffs / salt'n'vinegar chip-sticks and onion rings..= 69p.. LOVE IT!!! Might be heading back there for more.. for those who are unaware I have a crisp habit, a bad one. Transitioned to popcorn popped at home due to pennies being scarce.. now I have had enough of them like Abundant and his rice cakes...:T

Things are being watched on eBay although only £73 made so far.. fingers crossed for more by the end of the week as I NEED to pay for my holiday hotel with this...

So many of you have so many dogs. I have my very own tabby cat and my landlady owns a very soppy 8 year old Dalmation who knows to just stay out of the cats way. Naughty puddy-tat!! I will miss her when I have to move but won't miss her incessant barking ...

Right I am off to search for some houses... its a mare having to move!..

Onwards and Upwards!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure