The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• complimentschemistry
    Options
    Morning all!

So surprised I'm up this early after the drinking I did yesterday! Feel OK though, which is also a surprise after copious amounts of wine.

Hugs to BeckyBoo, sorry to hear about what you are going through it really is a sad situation.

I had a NSD yesterday, woo! And that included a trip up town so my friend and her mum could go clothes shopping and going to a house party for my mate's birthday. Took wine I got for Christmas to drink, and a friend's OH drove so didn't have to spend a penny. I'm driving next time to make it up to them.

Today's plans are my auntie coming over with my baby cousin and going to a soft play area with him. Not sure if NSD or not today 'cos may want a coffee or something when I'm there.

Hope everyone has a lovely day :) x
    October Grocery Challenge - £67.18/£135
    Save up £500 - £0/£500
    NSDs for October - 0/10
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Well yesterday was my spendy day out treat for the kids and we had a lovely walk, bakery lunch then mooch round the shops (which is very rare for us as we are an hour from the nearest clothes type shops:o) then we came home and had a takeaway which my parents decided to treat us to:D. I manged to spend a total of £15 -£5 in the bakery and £10 on some sale items gloves, socks and a top for my daughter which was a bit naughty but never mind. It was a good day out and apart from the vast quantity of petrol that we used the spend wasnt too bad. We even brought the leftover takeaway home with us for lunch today :D so my plan is to try for 2 SFDs now.

Purplejay I did some of my mental health nursing training in a unit where most of the patients were at advanced stages of dementia type illness. I know how frustrating it gets for the family as that glimmer of recognition gets smaller and smaller. Its a horrible horrible disease which strips people of their pride and dignity. All you can do is what you are doing by being there and coping as best you can and cherishing the memories of good times had. X
  • PurpleJay
    Options
    Morning all. I have slept well and my headache has gone. Thank you so much for your lovely messages.

Some visits to mum are really good and some less so. It is all 'in the moment' now for her so at least she wasn't distressed that I haven't been able to go for a couple of weeks. Sometimes we have lovely chats about where she has been with people long dead but I play along and never correct her. Never disagree with a person with dementia unless you really have to! My son always makes her smile although I am not sure she can place him at times. Sometimes she thinks he is me! He knows her memories are jumbled up. He still likes to visit her :)

Today hubby has brought me tea and breakfast in bed bless him, but I must get up soon as I have promised to help M with his wii game. I have to check my pressie stash as I think I have something suitable for the birthday girl - M is at a roller skating party later! His dad is taking him. I had budgeted £7.50 for the gift and card but if I can find something that money can stay in the birthdays pot!

Going to get on top of the washing today, I have 2 loads to do and some dry things to go away, and ironing for school. Also general tidying up.

Hubby is off to lidl later with the Facebook voucher so we need to make a list of things we will really need this month like tea, coffee, cat food, kitchen roll and stock up on those. Will post later how good (or not) he was :)

Making a Sunday dinner later with quorn roast. Still not finished my meal planning so must get that done too.

Npower said it could take up to 90 days to sort the billing. They have the readings the wrong way around and have been under billing! Eek.

Abundant, well done on the batch cooking. I usually have a number of 'mystery meals' in the freezer. I am rubbish at labelling but there is only me who eats them and I can tell if they are soup, pasta or rice based!

Yorkshire lass, how was the martini? I can only remember buying it as a teenager a long time ago lol!

Ooh just remembered I made £23.11 on eBay yesterday so that is off to a good start. Aiming for £140 for the month.

Have a good day xx
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all - hugs to Purple jay - my elderly parents are moving closer to me soon so it felt like I was reading my potential future.

How is everyone? Today I ahve housework, dog walking, patchwork and any other activity I can find to stoop me spening money. I am determined that today will be my first SFD. Will update all later. xx
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Morning all. Today is my 3rd SFD :)
    Need to do my meal plan for the week, or i'll fall off the wagon again. We will be having something with chicken this evening, as i have some left over from Thursdays roast.
    Might do chicken quesidilas, with salad.
    Have a great day everyone.
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

PurpleJay (((hugs))) although it seems you are able to be positive which is incredible, well done!

It should be a SFD here today which will be number 2 of the month.
    Have updated signature and journal with budget figures.
    Enjoying an easy morning watching the pups in the back garden causing havoc, whilst my birthday boy pooch gets extra cuddles and the other 2 snooze against the radiator hoping it will magically come on any moment - no such luck I'm afraid!! Heating is staying OFF today!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • poodlegal
    Options
    niksyg wrote: »
    Enjoying an easy morning watching the pups in the back garden causing havoc, whilst my birthday boy pooch gets extra cuddles and the other 2 snooze against the radiator hoping it will magically come on any moment - no such luck I'm afraid!! Heating is staying OFF today!

Oh what kind of pups are they? My big poodle boy had his birthday yesterday, he had a nice walk, and got to sit on the sofa with the telly on in the evening as a birthday treat!
  • lionheartedgirl
    Options
    Afternoon all :)

well February is being fabulous to me so far, and after a horrible January I am so relieved!

I'm going for £70 on my food budget this month. £80 was definitely doable last month (without the emergency pizzas etc!) so I'm on for the next phase of the challenge.

Things I changed last month were having porridge for breakfast (working really well for me and super cheap!), using up the Mount Everest of teabag mountains (still going) and doing some baking (which I love).

Last weekend I made a lemon drizzle cake out of stuff I had in the cupboards and even in my cake-addicted state I managed to make it last most of the week, and I took pieces to college with me to stop me buying junk there. So I'm going to keep that up - baking at the weekend.

I did a big monthly shop to start the month and spent £30 on cupboardy bits, but should only need milk/bread/veg for the rest of the week now. I forced myself into Asda (hate it with a passion), such is my commitment!

I found some £3.33 wine which isn't too bad, so going to go for one bottle a week of that.

I've topped up my diesel - £30 should do the month, but I'm still watching and learning on this while I get into a routine on sporty/social stuff.

I'd ambitiously set my other pocket money spends at £50 but after 2 very social days on Friday and yesterday, I am well into that already so will have to be very careful. I've been really strict with myself on buying coffee etc at college though and am starting to get out of the habit at last.

One of my MSE friends is throwing me a lifeline tomorrow night and is cooking me dinner :j so that will be a great free night out (well, in at her house).

PurpleJay I'm so sorry about your mum. My mum's best friend (J)'s mum (keeping up?!) is in a similar situation. J's mum takes J's dog in each time, and her mum always remembers the dog but often can't remember who J is. It is so terribly sad and I really feel for people affected by this.

Beckyboo I hope things are going ok for you and your family too, and that there are some things in the offing for you.

I've got a week off college this week so should be relatively spend free. I'm going to explore the city some more but will be sticking to freebie art galleries and things.

Hope Feb is Fab for us all X
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2013 at 1:35PM
    Options
    poodlegal wrote: »
    Oh what kind of pups are they? My big poodle boy had his birthday yesterday, he had a nice walk, and got to sit on the sofa with the telly on in the evening as a birthday treat!

We currently have 2 English Springer Spaniel pups but also a 2 year old springer and a lab. Also have mum's lab staying with us at the moment, but she goes home in 2 weeks - a full house! They do all earn their keep though so forgiven for taking over our house/garden/lives :rotfl:

Happy birthday to your poodle for yesterday!!

Lionheartedgirl An Asda visit is proof of serious commitment - I still can't bring myself to do it - I HATE the place. I'll stick to Lidl, Morrisons and the market...Asda is AWFUL!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    nyksyg My doggy headcount is at 5 at the moment too! 4 of my own plus a home boarder i've had since October :o mayhem!
    Why dont you like Asda? Its the only one we have thats under an hours drive so now i'm intreigued (sp?) as to what i'm missing out on with the others?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure