The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• wiggysgirl
    Options
    Happy 1st of February every one!!!:D

Well, I have crunched my no's and here is my budget for the month!!!

£120 on groceries
    £120 on fuel
    £140 on spends

I know the spends look like a lot, but in fairness, I have invited my family over for lunch in a couple of weeks and that means a LOT of food....we are talking at least a dozen mouths to feed:eek: so I don't think it's out of the realms of possiblilty that £100 will disappear in the words of the immortal Tommy Cooper 'Just like that':rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hoping it won't cost me that much, but I thought it was better to over rather than underestimate....

If anyone has any tips on how to feed the 5000 with loaves and fish these days and still stay well under budget, I would love to hear their suggestions....:T

Good luck to you all....let the challenge commence!
    JAN 2013 - NEW YEAR - NEW LIFE :beer:
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 2014 ;)
    UFC #23 :D SFD 1/14 Fuel 20/120 Groc 25.23/120 Spends 7.88/140
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Checking in after my errrr wobble with the crunching, thank you Kat for the rallying words they worked and have had a stern word with myself and resolve is restored!!!
    Reflecting on last month I have decided that I did a marvellous job (apart from ebay epic fail) and no reason to think Feb won't be the same so......
    have set myself 6 budgeting must do's for the weekend that need sorting, have updated my freezer/cupboards, menu plan and shopping list written ready for first spend tomorrow (with vouchers) signed up for free handcream sample, savvy shopper tester panel and totted up tesco vouchers (£36.00), boots vouchers (24.00) and 'readied' a box to collect 28 items for ebay tomorrow. photographing,uploading and describing may be for another day.

abundant I freeze my portions in takeaway containers then remove and put into 'pour and store' bags but just make sure you label otherwise quite a lot of 'freezer surprise' might appear on your menuplan! Sainsbugs have 8 for £1.20 which are reusable and have a strong seal.
    Have two insurances due this month so as we are 'hardcore' am going to see how low I can get them on comparison sites and use the savings against CC's.
    Good luck everyone onwards and upwards and goodnight, stay focussed!
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    PurpleJay wrote: »
    Regarding the drink inventory, we have 2 litres of vodka, 2 bottles of whiskey a bootle of sherry and some bits and bobs all less than half a bottle including tequila, cheap brandy, port and Carolans. There is also 6 beers and 6 ciders.

Me too! After Christmas I dug out all the odd bottles of alcohol from the back of the cupboard and moved them to the front. I have about a third of a bottle of dry Martini that I have no idea where it came from or who drank the rest - I am sure it wasnt me. Even though I dont really like the stuff I am determined to drink it!! I also have half a bottle of sherry and some cider than neither of us really like. The brandy I found I will keep for Christmas cakes but I just want rid of the rest to make space in the cupboard.

Not a SFD for me sadly, I needed milk and gave in and bought the kids some crisps that were on offer. Tomorrow and Sunday should be OK though, no plans for doing much. Oh and I turned down the offer of a girly night out tonight. I think people get sick of me saying I cant afford it but I really cant! So its just me, hubby, the dog, the telly and the Martini tonight!
  • CrazyCatLady1_3
    Options
    Managed to get thru my 1st SFD woo hoo!!
    Total debt - £16,687.86 approx. - Paid so far - £13,156.30 - £350. a month to DMP - DFD 17/01/2019 But I WILL make it sooner!!
  • capricious
    Options
    well managed a SFD yesterday and should manage another 2 over the weekend so progress is looking good >)
  • Doris65_2
    Options
    Hi Kat

I joined last month, didn't do great, but just trying really focused me on where my money goes, and I finished the month solvent and not waiting for pay day so this month I want to do better.

Will get back later with budgets

Thanks
    Dx
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Good Morning Chickadees...

I am up with the sunshine and raring to go. Just made £21 last night on eBay and posted the one item morning with Mumsy birthday card. I remember last year she said no presents, just £10 she can spend on herself. So I sent her my eBay money in a card this morning!!:T

Hit Mr T's last night for food...£31.80!!!:eek:..Now I must admit I had to get oil, fruit and some toiletries.. however.. 37p Hairspray and 11p soap won't break the bank. It was the oranges, apples and maybe those naughty celebratory jam finger do-nuts!!! Well I hve enough now to create a good few meals.. and will hopefully keep me going for two weeks..as I have budgeted £20 a week.

So day 2 and we are going well. I see some SFD's... some bank charges.. and some serious drink inventory's. Not a bad thing to trough it down the sink if you don't like it YorkshieLass?..**tee total logic here**...

Fairy3 check you out with your freezer doo-dahs..!!Yes tupperware tubs 4 = £1 in PoundStretcher are currently languishing in my freezer with carrot and parsnip soup..( I made too much last week ) and are ready for emergencies...and a tub of chill con carne ( bleughhh ..too much spice used )... Abundant it's great seeing all the little tubs pile up knowing you can be super smug for the week ....and it will stop me going anywhere near the work canteen then GOOD!!

Looking at an SFD today and tomorrow. I am off to a friends house today for food, then home to eBay more tat and then cinema tonight with my pre-paid Cineworld card and NO SNACKS!! Tomorrow is overtime from 1500 so I shall be sleeping in I think.

More overtime this week at work..Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are 12 hours shifts instead of 8, with Wednesday a late night meeting so by Friday I should be dead on my feet.. but its another 12 hours "time and a half" to add to the pile...:T:T:T

Anyone else do overtime at work?? CrazyCatLady well done on your first SFD..:p

SO what have people got planned for the day..?

RebekahR that is one SERIOUSLY tight budget you got there...care to share just how you are going to do this???

Right update me chickadees..remember if you don't need it, don't buy it!!!

Onwards and Upwards!!!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Learning2Budget
    Options
    Had a horrific day at work yesterday and 'accidentally' bought a bottle of wine and some chocolate on the way home. So my sfd was scuppered !! Out tonight on a planned spend night but i am off to scour my wardrobe instead of new spends. I have my new bag......so i am accessorising my outfit around it!

Plus side I've picked up 4 overtime shifts this month so that's roughly £400 in my pot. So think I've reprieved myself a little? L2B.x
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
  • rebekahR_2
    Options

RebekahR that is one SERIOUSLY tight budget you got there...care to share just how you are going to do this???

Food is just for me , odd bits - eggs/cottage cheese/Greek yog - The larder/freezer is well stocked.

Travel I mostly walk - buy a 10 trip ticket at £16.10 - I can stretch this out a fair bit. Only extra travel expense is weekly hospital appointment - hopefully can get a lift, and only pay for maybe 2 out of 4 trips

Am trying to cut way down on clothes, recently had surgery and so used it as a bit of an excuse to get things I needed for it (and lots I didnt need in addition!!) - so trying to minimize those extras

Hope that makes sense & still within the scope of the challenge?? (help me out if I am totally wrongg!!)
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 February 2013 at 12:29PM
    Options
    Morning everyone :j

Ok... so am not quite so full of beans (STILLin snuggly dressing gown)... BUT, I am going to venture into town and on the advice of people on here, and a super thrifty friend - venture into Poundland/99p Store on my quest for take-away cartons to freeze stuff. Am going to drive to Lidl on the way home as STILL haven't been <slap>!!!

I'd forgotten how nice it was living on my own (even if just for a few days) - the whole house feels empty and quiet and I :heart2: it. Just me and the cats. Gives me motivation to want to save for a new place... At 40 - is it too late to even be thinking about buying...? I don't know.

Right - off to get showered and then I'll be :j

See you later people!!!
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing