British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• British_Gas_Rep_Jamie
    British_Gas_Rep_Jamie Posts: 32 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Update - my switch has gone through, backdated to 24th Feb when I gave the requested meter readings, online also now working so seems all is now OK for the next 11 months! Even had a call back from the BG Nectar guys saying they were sorting that part out!

Hi Chrishazle, cheers for the update. Give us a shout if we can help with anything else. Cheers, Jamie.
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Jamie
    British_Gas_Rep_Jamie Posts: 32 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Chordeiles wrote: »
    Switch gone smoothly as far as I can tell (apart from slightly inflated monthly payment as already noted).

But I had some 'phone calls from British Gas. First time asked if it was a good time to talk, but I was in the middle of my dinner. Most recent call (9 days ago) I was happy to talk to them but caller complained it was a bad line, could he call back ? Agreed and heard nothing since. A bit rude, really.

Now I'm wondering what this was all about. If the BG man is reading this I'd be interested to know if this is normal practice, or whether I've perhaps suffered spoof calls from someone purporting to be BG.

Hi Chordeiles,
    We are calling customers just to confirm their new accounts have all been set up correctly & to talk through the registration of your Nectar card (where applicable).
    I'm sure this is nothing to worry about, but if you're concerned you can always email me a few more details at Talktous@britishgas.co.uk. Please include your MSE Username and MSE Forums in the subject heading of any email sent so I can link your contacts.
    Cheers, Jamie
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi Cardrew, sorry for any confusion here. We always request a DD from the bank several days before this payment is due to be debited. This ensures it clears on the correct day.
    A pending payment can therefore show on an account before it's actually cleared.
    Cheers, Jamie.

Jamie,
    I appreciate the efforts you are making - albeit it is your job! -and am sure all of us sympathize with the mess you are having to sort out.

However, like many others, I have had to spend several hours on the phone or internet dealing with this mess - and it ain't my job. Frankly had I known it would have taken this time I just wouldn't have bothered.

BG must have dealt with millions of switched accounts, yet still can't get it right. We are continually told how simple it is to switch. I like to think I am internet savvy and understand gas/electricity tariffs and have switched several times, and I have found the exercise frustrating. No wonder some people find it daunting and remain on their Standard tariff(s) rather than put up with the hassle.
  • Mary-
    Mary- Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I switched for the first time with the MSE big 4 using the Energy Club.
    I was already a British Gas customer so opted to stay with British Gas but I am now saving £20 per month.
    Everything went smoothly and I got a rebate from British Gas for my previous account.
    I am so happy everything went smoothly and thanks to MSE and the Energy Club as I would never had switched if I had seen it on here.
  • itsj2
    itsj2 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    basketcase wrote: »
    The very reason I don't like Direct Debits Inca :eek:

Still, I can switch again come February.

BTW do you have to wait till then to start a switch, or can you join a switch and time the start for after your the current one ends? IYSWIM

I believe you can apply to a new supplier penalty free from 49 days before the expiry of your current fix.
  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've heard nothing from British Gas since they asked for meter readings on the 3 March. Direct debit set up but no idea how much for or when it will be taken. Nothing from old supplier to say I'm leaving. However checking bill on old suppliers website suddenly shows a final gas bill figure but the electric bill appears to show supply continuing so no idea what is going on!
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    itsj2 wrote: »
    I believe you can apply to a new supplier penalty free from 49 days before the expiry of your current fix.

Thanks for the info, itsj2 :beer:
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • jeallen01
    jeallen01 Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March 2016 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Just logged into my BG a/c and that is now showing the G & E meter readings for 3rd March that I submitted earlier this month - so it looks like that aspect of my a/c appears to be sorted out (at least for the moment!).

OTOH, just logged into the SP account and the relevant Bank a/c from which the money is debited, and there is as yet no sign of:
    - BG having debited the amount my a/c says that I in credit by!
    - SP having taken the final payment for their a/cs (I think I probably owed them something of the order of £80-£100 for the G & E used since they took the last normal monthly DD in early-mid Feb).

So, still some outstanding loose ends on both of the SP & BG a/cs
  • Oldsoldier
    Options
    Just posted this on an another thread before finding this one.

'Messy? Tell me about it!!!

Switch (from OVO) initiated 4 Feb for both Gas and Electricity and since then have had 10 emails from British Gas giving different start dates including one cancelling the Gas switch which meant I had to initiate a re-start of the process - they simply emailed me telling me it was cancelled! I wasn't the only one as a subsequent general email from the MSE Energy Club confirmed.

Gas meter reading requested 16 Mar which was given - Electricity meter reading has never been requested.

I registered my on-line account weeks ago, but as at today's date neither switch was shown as complete so I tried to phone and check - very long waiting times so I gave up and phoned OVO to ask if I'd left them............. :) !! Very helpful young lady checked the national database accessed by all utility companies and she told me my Electricity Supply transferred on 18 Mar (without a meter reading) and Gas was transferring today - I wonder if anyone at British Gas knows? Anyway, to be helpful I logged in again and gave both up-to-date readings for today - perhaps someone will pick them up!

Oh and I apparently have 2 Gas Accounts and 2 Electricity Accounts, all with different numbers - be interesting to see how they sort that one out over the coming weeks."

Finally, my 'savings' are now over 10 months not 12 - and as I had timed the switch to coincide with the end of a previous 'Fix' I've had several weeks during a high use period paying the highest tariff to my previous supplier. Not happy and a lesson learnt - about British Gas and unfortunately the MSE Energy Club who try so hard and generally do a great job!
  • martb
    martb Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, I've been monitoring this thread for a while and now it's time to give details of our situation and frustrations. 'Final' meter readings for gas and electricity were provided on 22 February and there has been one email since then which isn't an issue as I'm aware it will take some weeks. However, an update from Scottish Power was received today (30 March) with a final bill for electicity which was estimated and not the final reading previously provided. We went into our Scottish Gas account which shows Electricity switched but also an estimated account and not the fnal reading provided. So the final readings have been ignored and four weeks later only one fuel switched. Naturally we have been in contact with Scottish gas and to our frustration were asked for gas meter details and final readings, although once it was stated that this information had been provided/confirmed previously then we were told everything was in order and there had been a glitch in switching gas. My main concern is the time I have to spend sorting this out and ensuring that we are not asked to pay more than we should be.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback