British Gas Reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Update - my switch has gone through, backdated to 24th Feb when I gave the requested meter readings, online also now working so seems all is now OK for the next 11 months! Even had a call back from the BG Nectar guys saying they were sorting that part out!
  • Kingsd316
    Kingsd316 Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just waiting on my Electricity to switch now as i have has my final gas bill from my previous supplier, baring the confusion over the initial meter readings mine has gone pretty smoothly
    :beer:
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    Oh this hasn't been smooth!!

My supply was taken over 2nd March so I entered my readings.

As the form just seemed to reset itself after entering and I didn't receive an email confirming receipt of readings.

After 2 weeks I thought I would ring British Gas on their 24 hour customer care line that is only open 8am-8pm, but as I was outside the 24hour period I had to wait till the next day.

I made contact via twitter as you seem to get a better response when its all public, and it appears they had my gas reading but lost my electric reading!!
    How this happened when it was entered on the same form as the gas reading I do not know.
    And why after two weeks I was not contacted regarding the absence of my electric reading?? I am also slightly annoyed about this.

They seem to be on the case now...
    I am now waiting for First Utility to have an estimated reading for my final account as BG lost my actual reading.
    AND
    British Gas & First Utility both taking a payment on the 1st April, as I cant cancel my DD with First Utility until they have refunded my account balance.

My online account seems to be useless at the moment but I assume this will be sorted if British Gas don't lose my reading again.

I thought this switching was meant to be getting easier!!!
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A cautious :j

It looks like I'm up and running. At last...

A bit hairy getting there, what with them telling me they had my readings, then telling me they couldn't process them, them finding the gas but not the electricity (which they were going to estimate :huh: )

Went through the talktous Eaddress. Dealt with Matt, who was very helpful. Gas and electricity entries both what I sent as readings and DD in place.

So, like I said, a cautious :j

Not the smooth, stress-free switch I'd been led to expect. Not very impressed by the BG system (but thanks for the help BG Matt!).

I hope my DD doesn't get messed up. Not happy with DDs at the best of times really. We'll see...
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,318 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Here is hoping Basketcase.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • inca48
    Options
    Good luck with British Gas Direct Debits; you will need it.
    They increase your monthly direct debit for no reason at all, other than the (their) system says so.
    I escaped. Thank God
  • basketcase
    basketcase Posts: 1,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    inca48 wrote: »
    They increase your monthly direct debit for no reason at all, other than the (their) system says so.
    I escaped. Thank God

The very reason I don't like Direct Debits Inca :eek:

Still, I can switch again come February.

BTW do you have to wait till then to start a switch, or can you join a switch and time the start for after your the current one ends? IYSWIM
    A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!

CHALLENGES
    2024 Grocery Challenge: Q1 £37.83/£660
    2024 NSDs: Jan 1/12
    2024 Decluttering 24 containers/month: Jan 10/24
    Weight Loss: 0/24lbs
    2024 Fashion on the Ration: 0/66
    24 for 2024
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    inca48 wrote: »
    I escaped. Thank God

NP also increase you're monthly payments if the system says to. I'm more than happy to accept this following my switch to BG if it makes, as it does for me, a saving of almost £500 per year.
  • British_Gas_Rep_Jamie
    British_Gas_Rep_Jamie Posts: 32 Organisation Representative
    Options
    jeallen01 wrote: »
    17th March updates:

- Just had a call from someone at BG (at least I hope he was!) to confirm the address and that they are now my gas & electricity suppliers, but he could not tell me anything about the on-line side of things.
    - Logged into my BG account and that seemed to confirm that they are the suppliers, but still could not get any details of the state of the accounts for the individual services.
    - Weirder bit is that I am now shown as being £81 in credit although neither of the bank accounts (I initially selected the wrong one, but then phone BG to confirm that I wanted it taken from an account with another bank) from which that money could have come does show any sign of that money having been taken from it - so has BG "given" me £81? (I do hope so :D)
    - Then checked into my SP account which is still live for the moment, and that seemed to say that they are no longer my supplier - but there is as yet no sign of any refund from them in the bank account from which they previously DD'd the money!

I can only hope that things are gradually getting sorted out at both SP & BG - but I will have to wait and see (and it may take "some time")

Hi jeallen01, really pleased to hear things are pretty much all up & running for you now.
    As previously mentioned, it can take a few weeks for the start meter readings to show on your online account. These need to get sent via the industry & agreed with your previous supplier. Once they’ve confirmed this, they’ll send you out a final bill & any over payment would be refunded.
    If you pay by monthly Direct Debit, we always request this payment from your bank a few days prior to it being taken. This is possibly the reason the £81 is showing online, yet no DD has yet come out of the bank. The payments pending & will be debited shortly.
    Cheers, Jamie.
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • British_Gas_Rep_Jamie
    British_Gas_Rep_Jamie Posts: 32 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    That sounds like my experience - see post#218. I looked at my BG on-line account on the 14/3 and I was £100+ in credit. Further checks(on 14/3) showed it was paid by DD on 16/3. That transaction showed up on my bank statement on 16/3. so I was in credit at least 2 days before anything was taken from my bank.

Hi Cardrew, sorry for any confusion here. We always request a DD from the bank several days before this payment is due to be debited. This ensures it clears on the correct day.
    A pending payment can therefore show on an account before it's actually cleared.
    Cheers, Jamie.
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback