Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Steve441
    Options
    Our tariff didn't change from the one agreed with Eon when we changed to Variable Direct Debit, the standing charge did, this didn't happen when we did the same with British Gas. With Smart Meters energy companies save money by not paying someone to call to read the meters and know that the readings are correct and still only send a quarterly bill to also save them the expense of sending monthly bills. As the bills sent out are based on meter readings by either customer or employee or Smart Meters we can't see why it should cost more for a customer to pay for only the energy actually used by increasing the Standing Charge unless its to make up for not having a large credit excess after the 12 month contract comes to an end.
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Far too expensive, gonna switch.

Does anybody know how difficult it is with smart meters? When I had it installed by an E.On guy he told me if I switched supplier then someone would have to install a non-E.On meter.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Steve441 wrote: »
    Our tariff didn't change from the one agreed with Eon when we changed to Variable Direct Debit, the standing charge did, this didn't happen when we did the same with British Gas. With Smart Meters energy companies save money by not paying someone to call to read the meters and know that the readings are correct and still only send a quarterly bill to also save them the expense of sending monthly bills. As the bills sent out are based on meter readings by either customer or employee or Smart Meters we can't see why it should cost more for a customer to pay for only the energy actually used by increasing the Standing Charge unless its to make up for not having a large credit excess after the 12 month contract comes to an end.

Hello Steve441.

I'm unable to comment on British Gas but can confirm your comments about differences when paying with a Monthly or a Variable Direct Debit with us. Lower daily standing charges are available to customers paying with a Monthly Direct Debit.

As above, it costs us less to manage accounts paid this way. I agree, smart meters contribute to cost savings but there are other factors too. Among these we find Monthly Direct Debits help us keep costs down by giving us better control over debit/credit balances and cash flows. This helps to give us significant savings that we pass on to customers.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    zzzt wrote: »
    Far too expensive, gonna switch.

Does anybody know how difficult it is with smart meters? When I had it installed by an E.On guy he told me if I switched supplier then someone would have to install a non-E.On meter.

Hello zzzt and sorry we're going to lose you.

Smart meters don't stop you switching. You can change supplier in the same way as you would with a traditional meter. It's just that, at the moment, the meters are likely to revert to a traditional or dumb type and will need to be read manually as they won't be able to send readings remotely.

Your new supplier will take over the meters and let you know what needs to happen going forward.

Sorry again to lose you.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pontyslapper
    Options
    Current tariff deal coming to an end on 5th May for myself, my parents and my grandfather.

We've all agreed that Eon have been great - I've been with them for donkeys, parents slightly less and grandfather only came across after much discussion in the last year or so.

We're on Eon Saver Fixed 1 Year v9 - the currently available tariffs are quite a way above our current spend - in my case about £20 or so a month more.

I've spoken to my parents and grandfather and they aren't massively open to changing suppliers to one of the small yet seemingly much cheaper outfits. Especially as a few have had problems.

What would be the best course of action - hold on and check the tariffs daily or just jump into the next cheapest Eon tariff before they are inevitably pulled in the coming days following the upward movement in prices from others?
    Options
    Current tariff deal coming to an end on 5th May for myself, my parents and my grandfather.

We've all agreed that Eon have been great - I've been with them for donkeys, parents slightly less and grandfather only came across after much discussion in the last year or so.

We're on Eon Saver Fixed 1 Year v9 - the currently available tariffs are quite a way above our current spend - in my case about £20 or so a month more.

I've spoken to my parents and grandfather and they aren't massively open to changing suppliers to one of the small yet seemingly much cheaper outfits. Especially as a few have had problems.

What would be the best course of action - hold on and check the tariffs daily or just jump into the next cheapest Eon tariff before they are inevitably pulled in the coming days following the upward movement in prices from others?

Hello pontyslapper and glad we've been looking after you and your family.

Our website is the best place to keep an eye on the tariffs we have available at any given time. You can switch tariff online too.

Not sure if you're aware but you can forward switch through our website by up to 52 days in the future. No need to worry if the chosen tariff is removed from sale before this. Once a future date has been chosen, it'll be locked in and you'll still be able to go on to the tariff on the chosen date. This will let you stay on your current deal until the very last moment whilst not losing a tariff currently available should it be withdrawn.

For a full picture of what's available, pop your usage in kWhs on to the independent price comparison sites. As your current deal runs out on 5 May 18, you'll be within the Price Protection window (open 49 calendar days before a tariff end date until 20 working days after). This means, should you switch supplier before your tariff ends, you'll pick up no exit fees and we'll keep you on our cheaper prices whilst the switch goes through even if this is after the end date.

You can switch from one E.ON tariff to another at any time without picking up exit fees.

Hope this is of interest pontyslapper. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
  • SwatCat
    Options
    Hi there, my first post here.

I switched to e.on in March. Recieved all the usual confirmation emails etc. My first direct debit was meant to be paid in April. Then they sent me a letter saying my DD was being cancelled. I called them up and they told me I had to reset the DD, but as I had missed the april payment my monthly amounts would have to increase. I contacted my bank who said no payment was refused. So it seems e.on lost my bank details and told me I had to pay a larger monthly amount!

I never had a single problem in several years with my previous supplier, Southern.
    Options
    SwatCat wrote: »
    Hi there, my first post here.

I switched to e.on in March. Recieved all the usual confirmation emails etc. My first direct debit was meant to be paid in April. Then they sent me a letter saying my DD was being cancelled. I called them up and they told me I had to reset the DD, but as I had missed the april payment my monthly amounts would have to increase. I contacted my bank who said no payment was refused. So it seems e.on lost my bank details and told me I had to pay a larger monthly amount!

I never had a single problem in several years with my previous supplier, Southern.

Hello SwatCat and welcome to the Forums.

I'm sorry we cancelled your Monthly Direct Debit and asked you to reset it.I suspect this was due to an issue we had recently with a batch of applications to switch to us. We were unsure about the accuracy of some of the details received from the switching site and so took the decision to cancel arrangements rather than risk any mistakes. We wrote to all affected customers to let them know.

This issue has now been resolved but, in certain cases like the one you mention, it meant a missed payment. Our payment arrangements look to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review. One way to make sure your account was on track for this was through an increased monthly payment. This would make up for the missed one and let us spread the amount evenly over the next few months rather than asking for a double payment.

An alternative would've been to pay a one-off lump sum to cover the missed payment. The monthly amounts could then have been left as they were. I'm sorry if you weren't told about this option.

Not sure if you're aware but we've an online tool called the Direct Debit Manager that gives you more control over the arrangement. Provided you've registered with our website, you can use this tool to change the monthly payments to better suit different circumstances. If the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we think the account will be in credit/debit by the annual review if the payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected. There's more about this on our website.

Sorry again we had to cancel your original Monthly Direct Debit SwatCat and hope this is of interest.

Malc
  • SwatCat
    Options
    I recieved a letter but it told me I had cancelled the DD. It never mentioned any of the problems you did in the above post. In fact, when I spoke to an e.on agent this morning she insisted it was either my fault or my bank's. Again, no mention of any problems e.on's end. She offered me a new DD plan of over £100 a month which I rejected. Then I asked if I could pay the missed month of April over the phone using my debit card.

But regardless, my new monthly plan is £84. When I signed up is was supposed to be £65. I have an online account and shall look into the DD manager.
    Options
    SwatCat wrote: »
    I recieved a letter but it told me I had cancelled the DD. It never mentioned any of the problems you did in the above post. In fact, when I spoke to an e.on agent this morning she insisted it was either my fault or my bank's. Again, no mention of any problems e.on's end. She offered me a new DD plan of over £100 a month which I rejected. Then I asked if I could pay the missed month of April over the phone using my debit card.

But regardless, my new monthly plan is £84. When I signed up is was supposed to be £65. I have an online account and shall look into the DD manager.

Hello SwatCat and sorry if my earlier speculation was wrong. It's just that it sounded similar.

Many thanks for the payment. This will bring the arrangement back on track as we aim for a zero balance by the annual review. When customers first switch to us, we base their monthly payments on the information we're given at the time. Now the switch is complete, we'll have received details of past usage at the property. This lets us re-assess how much we think you'll need to pay to hit the zero balance.

Totally understand, circumstances change and that's why it's great you're going to check out the Direct Debit Manager. This is designed to help you keep on top of your account and will let you see if too much credit/debit is building up. If it is, you'll be able to make changes to keep things on track. We'll also review the arrangement quarterly but will only make changes, if needed, at the six monthly and annual points. At the other times, we'll let you know if we think changes are needed but leave it up to you to make any alterations. At the annual review, we'll automatically refund any credit balance over a fiver so you'll only pay for the energy used.

Hope this puts a bit more flesh on the bones so to speak SwatCat.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback