Baby items you couldn't live without (up to six months)

Comments

• LegalBlonde
    LegalBlonde Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Well this site got me through pregnancy, BF, newborn stage, OS cooking, I haven't posted in literally over a year (just realised my sig reflects :eek:)I lurk every day but I just had to log in to say -
    Jumperoos (aka The Circle Of Neglect)

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: hilarious!
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 January 2016 :o

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Or pile up cushions to make a nest instead.

Haven't bumbos been recalled for safety reasons?

Think it was a US recall and them issuing straps to keep leg straighteners in them - but a large part of the issue was idiots putting babies on tables in them etc etc... similar to the baby walkers at the top of stairs stupidity leading THEM to get banned in Canada.

I never had one - they looked like a hell of a price to pay for something resembling a polystyrene potty. Jumperoos - don't have the space in the house for one is the main reason we don't have one of those.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Think it was a US recall and them issuing straps to keep leg straighteners in them - but a large part of the issue was idiots putting babies on tables in them etc etc... similar to the baby walkers at the top of stairs stupidity leading THEM to get banned in Canada.

I never had one - they looked like a hell of a price to pay for something resembling a polystyrene potty. Jumperoos - don't have the space in the house for one is the main reason we don't have one of those.

We never had a bumbo either. I don't like them.

We had a tiny love playmat/gym thing - half the price of the fisher price one, but DD loved it.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • Lilium
    Lilium Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post Xmas Saver!
    Loved my Moby Wrap. I had a BabaSling for my first baby, it was very uncomfortable with his weight resting on just one shoulder. He also hated it until he could sit up in it around 3months old. Bought a Moby for my second, brilliant. He loved it from birth and it was so comfy for me to wear.

I know this is for the first 6 months but once you get to 6 months and start weaning, I recommend the Antilop highchair from Ikea. Very cheap and very easy to clean. I bought a huge Fisher Price highchair with my first. Horrible to keep it clean, wish I'd never bothered and had the Ikea one from the start.
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You absolutely HAVE to get an antilop high chair. The padded ones look pretty and yes, you can alter the height, but for practicality you cant go wrong with cheap antilop. The padded ones invariably split after some use. It pulls apart to go in the car, can go in the dishwasher and I have used the seat part as a booster (probably breaks all the rules but safe if not left unattended). You can stack them too and they are bombproof.
  • We've just bought one for use at my parent's actually as my niece is five months and will use it before our little one needs it. They are such a good price too!
  • Jumperoos (aka The Circle Of Neglect) should not be used before baby is 6 months old.

:rotfl: this is a joke, right?! We've just sold ours on eBay, was an absolute godsend - somewhere safe and fun you can put bubs while you nip to the loo? Um, yes please! We had him in it from just over 4 months, once he could hold his head up it was fine. From my experience the age guidelines on a lot of toys/baby equipment is massively conservative and designed to protect the manufacturers from idiots sueing them after putting a newborn in it or something equally unsuitable. You just have to use a teeny bit of common sense.

For a newborn I think the bouncy chair was a lifesaver, somewhere comfy for him to sit while you glug a cuppa/rest your arms for 2 minutes!
    Newborn thread member

Little man born May 2012
  • katiechoc wrote: »
    :rotfl: this is a joke, right?! We've just sold ours on eBay, was an absolute godsend - somewhere safe and fun you can put bubs while you nip to the loo? Um, yes please! We had him in it from just over 4 months, once he could hold his head up it was fine. From my experience the age guidelines on a lot of toys/baby equipment is massively conservative and designed to protect the manufacturers from idiots sueing them after putting a newborn in it or something equally unsuitable. You just have to use a teeny bit of common sense.
    No, it's not a joke. It's to do with hip dysplasia I believe.
  • katiechoc_2
    katiechoc_2 Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    No, it's not a joke. It's to do with hip dysplasia I believe.

Tbh it was more the circle of neglect bit that I was referring to as a joke ;) I haven't heard anything re hip dysplasia and jumperoos but if that's right I stand corrected. However my small person isn't showing any signs of damage from bouncing his little heart out on a regular basis :o
    Newborn thread member

Little man born May 2012
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    katiechoc wrote: »
    Tbh it was more the circle of neglect bit that I was referring to as a joke ;) I haven't heard anything re hip dysplasia and jumperoos but if that's right I stand corrected. However my small person isn't showing any signs of damage from bouncing his little heart out on a regular basis :o

I'm glad.

It's a well known description of those sorts of things.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=JUMPEROO+CIRCLE+OF+NEGLECT&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport