Mobile bill shock through kids in-app purchases

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    I have thought that this is a case for a HUGE MSE campaign as there are Free apps designed to squeeze money out of young minds.

Apple is making BILLIONS out of apps and the process for a refund is not easy at all with many stumbles and crashes along the way, especially for UK users.

Hi DavidP24, thanks for your all comments. You obviously feel very strongly about this, so thanks for speaking up.

Unfortunately we just don't have the resources at present to campaign about something like this, however after speaking to MSE Wendy (our campaigns co-ordinator), she's suggested having your say with our 50-Word Moneyfesto. There's full info in the guide.

HTH,
    MSE Becca
  • AAAAA
    AAAAA Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    martindc 70 quid for an in-app purchase of virtual feed in the farm game is obviously just plain criminal. I should think the iTunes Store did refund. I hope they have also closed down this scam.

How is it criminal?
  • Daisy124
    Options
    Is there any way I can stop the 5 minute delay discussed above for ITunes apps.....:(
  • alex99
    alex99 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    The ease at which children can purchase extras, often for huge sums, has prompted regulator PhonepayPlus to warn parents against letting kids use smartphones and tablets unsupervised.

It witnessed a three-fold rise in the number of complaints about in-app billing last year.

Paul Whiteing, chief executive of PhonepayPlus, says: "Smartphones in children's pockets can burn holes in parents' wallets, so we are working with partners across the industry and other agencies to prevent this.

PhonepayPlus has been "working with partners across the industry and other agencies" to prevent phone based fraud, theft, and misselling for over 20 years - to very little effect.

The problem is that PhonepayPlus refuse point blank to contemplate the two measures that would actually put a stop to all this:

A) A simple opt out from ALL premium rate / charged smart phone app "services" - especially when you take out a phone contract for a child.

B) Criminal prosecutions for those firms that clearly break the law - regulatory penalties should be reserve for sharp practice that falls short of criminal activity.

It is not entirely within PhonepayPlus's gift to take these measures, but it could (if it wanted to) ask the relevant bodies to implement these two measures instead of continuing to make excuses for the "industry" it pretends to regulate and repeatedly assuring us that "good times are just around the corner".
  • securityguy
    Options
    Oh and with other use of your credit card you have to quote your CVV. Of course it would be better if Apple added say £20 to an account rather than linking the card to endless unauthorised debits.

You only need to use the CVV when making an initial purchase: after that, most companies stand the risk. I don't need to quote any details at all when doing Amazon one-click shopping (probably your next "oh woe, how did I know?" campaign). I don't need to quote any details at all when paying two quid via a mobile payment add rather than feeding two quid into the pay and display machine to park. I don't need to quote any details at all when using PayPal.
  • Cameron
    Cameron Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My kids have ipads, kindle accounts, google accounts, etc.

They are all set up using test credit card numbers https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=test+credit+card+numbers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

They can try but always fail!
    Advice is cheap! Hence their is a lot of it about!
    Try not to be a victim!
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    MSE_Becca wrote: »
    Hi DavidP24, thanks for your all comments. You obviously feel very strongly about this, so thanks for speaking up.

Unfortunately we just don't have the resources at present to campaign about something like this, however after speaking to MSE Wendy (our campaigns co-ordinator), she's suggested having your say with our 50-Word Moneyfesto. There's full info in the guide.

HTH,
    MSE Becca

Alas the comments against the article are ignored...No thanks for those speaking against it I see...;)
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Cmbdave
    Options
    Was very interesetd in reading today's article by Becca as suffered the same fate with 'mountains of gold and diamonds' being bought to a total of £850. Told by iTunes it was tough luck or sue my seven year old for theft. Credit card company also dodged the issue by stating that any individual transaction was less than £100.

Do I have to play rugby for England in order for iTunes to give me a telling off and a refund? Felt it was an expensive lesson learnt - but your article hints that theer may be a chance of a refund. What should I do next?
  • Tanta1ise
    Options
    A lot of the advice is common sense. My daughter never racked up inApp purchases on my iPad - she wouldn't have dared.

But what to do about children like my 4-year old niece who managed to somehow disable the parental controls and security settings (set at their strongest) on the family iPad and used up the credit on their iTunes account? We still haven't figured out how she did.
  • AAAAA
    AAAAA Posts: 272 Forumite
    Options
    Cmbdave What should I do next?

Accept it is your fault and stop blaming others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure