Mobile bill shock through kids in-app purchases

Options

Comments

• pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TimBear wrote: »
    You can change the time scale so that it always asks you, rather than waiting for so long when things could be bought without re-entering the password. I've done this so my god son doesn't spend any money!

There is also a log out button! Bit of common sense really..

Now.. how to stop the 2 y/o turning on the camera and taking self portraits would be helpful!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Smart phones are instruments of the devil.

A small segments from Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy had this to say:

"Bring out your digital watches with the snooze alarm, shove them on the cart..."

This should obviously be updated to "Let's burn the smart phone...."
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2013 at 3:04AM
    Options
    MSE_Becca wrote: »
    Hi alias*alibi, thanks for sharing your story. When you found out about the purchases, did you contact Apple, and were you given a refund?

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca

Hi All

My friend's daughter got an iPad for Christmas, same story, in the rush to use the thing a credit card was attached to the account and over £200 was run up.

Apple's terms say that all sales are final, but the truth is they refund on the quiet if you know how to do it, but it is a one off.

As soon as you realise this has happened you need to turn off the taps, this means disabling Itunes, turning off inApp purchases and turn off the 15 minute window and making it require a pin for all purchases.

DO NOT remove your credit card immediately, wait until you have the refund.

Later once you have the refund, You can detach any credit cards and fund them via the iPad via gift cards.

I have thought that this is a case for a HUGE MSE campaign as there are Free apps designed to squeeze money out of young minds.

Apple is making BILLIONS out of apps and the process for a refund is not easy at all with many stumbles and crashes along the way, especially for UK users.

The campaign should demand that:

1. That Apple devices are shipped with restrictions requiring a pin AND the CVV number from the credit card if such a card is attached on ALL purchases. Pressure can be brought via the credit card companies by reporting Apple as a bad merchant.

2. That the 15 minute no pin request is set to OFF by default (many apps ask for a small purchase and then ask for several more in the next 15 minutes)

3. That InApp purchases are switched OFF by default.

4. That warnings are given that REAL MONEY is being used and telling the user to get approval from their parent. Alternatively a complex question could be asked that requires an Adult.

5. That financial messages are displayed in red not the banner blind blue default colour that are easily skipped by pressing OK without thinking.

6. That Apple make purchases visible on a standard web browser via the apple website (currently the only way to see the charges is to download iTunes and even then you can't copy and paste them. My friend tried this but iTunes wrecked his Win64 PC and so he was unable to see the charges. It is NUTS that you can login to the Apple website for purchasing an Apple PC but Apps require you to download Itunes. Then you are shown invoices with 10 purchases at a time.

7. That a Free App remains totally free, if the user wants to have paid features they have to buy a premium version and only premium versions to have InApp purchases.

Moderator can contact me for the full details of how to get a refund as I need my sleep!
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    1. That Apple devices are shipped with restrictions requiring a pin AND the CVV number from the credit card if such a card is attached on ALL purchases. Pressure can be brought via the credit card companies by reporting Apple as a bad merchant.

So that adults have to fumble around with a credit card in order to buy a 99p application? Why should the rest of us be inconvenienced because a handful of parents have been stupid?
  • akamustang
    Options
    My sums maybe a bit rusty, but isn't 54 purchases at £69.99 each a total of £3,779.46 and not £3,200?
    MFiT-T3 :: Reduce mortgage to 80k (86.30%)
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TimBear wrote: »
    You can change the time scale so that it always asks you, rather than waiting for so long when things could be bought without re-entering the password. I've done this so my god son doesn't spend any money!

I've just changed mine as I think that's how my 2yo bought the full colouring app after I got the free version. £1.49 so not breaking the bank, thankfully...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • ccnp2
    Options
    Shame on MSE

A whole article on the evils of extra charges by mobile phone companies and nowhere does it mention that Tesco allow the user to cap their rates so that there cannot be extra charges for network use. No extra texts. No extra calls. No extra data

We bought an £85 Samsung Galaxy Ace (which is as good as the iPhone unless you worry about being 'cool' and like to risk loosing a £500 phone) and pay £10 pm for 500 mins, 5000 texts and 1gb data. More than enough. And I am very confident the bill will be £10 each and every month. If he wants to go over that, he buys a top up and puts it on the phone (more fool him if that is the way he chooses to spend his money)

No, I don't work for Tesco. In fact I pretty much hate them. But you have to say they appear to have got this one absolutely spot on. Presumably they don't pay the people at MSE enough to get the mention.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't let my children under the age to understand the danger of downloading apps on my phone. They are now 10 and 13 and have been told in great details that they are not to download anything without my approval or they would have to pay it back out of their pocket money.
  • mummyroysof3
    Options
    I have never entered bank details onto iTunes so does this mean the kids can't spend anything? I haven't bought any apps since getting my iPhone last August but was planning on buying an iTunes top up card if I wanted anything
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • DavidP24
    Options
    So that adults have to fumble around with a credit card in order to buy a 99p application? Why should the rest of us be inconvenienced because a handful of parents have been stupid?

I did say DEFAULT option, there is NOTHING stupid about first time users not realising that a Free Hairdressing Salon game app charges your credit card when it offers your kids a conditioner for their clients.

Oh and with other use of your credit card you have to quote your CVV. Of course it would be better if Apple added say £20 to an account rather than linking the card to endless unauthorised debits.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure