Mobile bill shock through kids in-app purchases

Options

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    None of this is the phone companies fault. Ridiculous how any problem like this gets levelled at the company and not as much at the parents.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently there's a 15 minute window after signing up to a game or whatever wherein purchases can be made without the need for the password to be re-entered. Hence if you hand your phone or tablet straight to your kid after downloading the app they've got 15 minutes to go crazy!

Plus some parents share their passwords...

You can change the time scale so that it always asks you, rather than waiting for so long when things could be bought without re-entering the password. I've done this so my god son doesn't spend any money!
  • Gamegal
    Gamegal Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your youngster asks to play with your phone say no & put it away. What's everyone's problems? I'm amazed.
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    Gamegal wrote: »
    If your youngster asks to play with your phone say no & put it away. What's everyone's problems? I'm amazed.

On the flip side, DD (9) uses apple products in our house, and simply asks if she may purchase or download!? I don't understand why kids are just allowed to do what they fancy!?
  • Mattjimf
    Options
    I don't see why it's Apple, Google, Blackberry or Facebooks fault, when you let your child play a game on any device you have to check if it's suitable for them, this should also include checking about in game purchases (it's only going to get worse in the future).
    You check where your child is playing in the real world and ensure they are safe while doing so, so why wouldn't you when they are playing online.
    Ultimate solution switch the device to airplane mode, no internet connection, unable to buy in game.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    On the flip side, DD (9) uses apple products in our house, and simply asks if she may purchase or download!? I don't understand why kids are just allowed to do what they fancy!?

My two (7 and 9) daren't even spend my coins that I've built up on Temple Run, etc.., let alone any real money (not that they can). They know how these things work, that if they buy things on apps/tablets it costs money, so they know not to do it.

Jx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We noticed we had been charged around £11 extra for games on the boys' IPod touches. The response from iTunes was that they were in-app purchases. They have credited us as a goodwill gesture and we have now changed our apps password.
  • vikki_louise
    Options
    What I don't understand is do people actually buy some of these in app purchases? I can see the attraction of new levels for £1 or 2 but often these games have add ons at such huge prices, do people really pay £70 for virtual food???
    Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
  • sooty&sweep
    Options
    Hi
    A friend of mine had a friend + her daughter visiting from Croatia. She allowed her to play on her iPhone. Her daughter downloaded a free smurfs game from iTunes. Her mum was very ill so wasn't paying as much attention as she should. However her daughter didn't realise the things she was buying for the village cost real money and ran up a bill of several hundred pounds. They complained to iTunes because at no point was her daughter asked to enter a password & luckily the money was refunded. If you Google this there is quite alot of coverage & if I recall correctly a number of Americans were linking up to take Apple &iTunes to court.

I''ve got a Samsung tablet and so far I''ve not downloaded any app that costed any money so I've not entered any credit card details so I'm hoping that will stop it happening.
    However I''ve not seen any stories of this happening on android devices so is the problem confined to apple ?
    Jen
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's also partly the companies who make the games' fault. Seriously £70 for an in-app purchase is ridiculous, especially for a game young kids use. No one would pay that for a physical copy of a game for a console. They're relying on kids unwittingly spending real money and their parents not fighting the charges. £1 charges seem reasonable, but it still seems like a con most of the time.

I've found in-app purchases are mainly shortcuts anyway, for people with no patience. So restricting all in-app purchases could teach kids lessons about learning to wait for things, like to go to the next level.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure