MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Frodo give Sam the money?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
53 replies 11K views

Replies

• ktkt Forumite
    48 Posts
    Frodo should definately keep the money as he did all the work!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • MarkytMarkyt Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The money is Frodo's. If Sam had bothered getting up and selling it, the money would have been his.
  • mehermeher
    15.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markyt wrote: »
    The money is Frodo's. If Sam had bothered getting up and selling it, the money would have been his.
    absolutely and I wouldn't consider this as touting Fifer - unless the ticket was bought with that intention
  • tripledtripled Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frodo should never have told Sam about the extra money in the first place ;)
  • money4nothingmoney4nothing Forumite
    17 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Would Sam have paid the difference if Frodo had not covered the original ticket cost? If no, then Frodo keeps the profit. If yes or he would have covered half the loss, split the profit.

Or use profit for a joint few beers and a curry!!
  • bandraoibandraoi Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Would Sam have paid the difference if Frodo had not covered the original ticket cost? If no, then Frodo keeps the profit. If yes or he would have covered half the loss, split the profit.

Or use profit for a joint few beers and a curry!!
    If Frodo hadn't covered the cost of the ticket he would have given the ticket back to Sam and let him handle it.
  • macwisemacwise Forumite
    29 Posts
    :beer: Hmm I've been pondering this very subject recently as I have been lumbered with an integrated double oven I can't use and need to find an alternative buyer as the seller won't take it back. The seller is a friend/aquaintance and was selling it at a very good price (£200 and never been used). I bought it in good faith but then discovered that due to an electrical problem in my kitchen I couldn't use it and had to buy a gas oven instead (which cost me £300 so £500 spent so far).

I thought this friend would take it back as I was sure he could easily find another buyer for such a bargain and he'd have more space to store it. However, he says he can't and now I need to find someone to buy it PDQ.

My dilemma is, do I try to get a bit more for it as I'm sure I could get £250 for it and if so do I split the profit with him?:confused:
    :jMacwise

:o"Proper prior planning prevents pathetically poor performance":cool:
  • mr218mr218 Forumite
    247 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    macwise, just sell the item and pocket the money. by refusing to take it back he has disowned the item entirely. why do you feel the need to offer to split with him any of the proceeds.

you say he sold it to you at a good price. you have to ask whether it was easy for him to find a good buyer so quickly. plus he has no consideration for the fact that the item does not fit your kitchen and is ready to wash his hands off it. so you owe him nothing at all.

he might be a bit miffed if he knows that you made some money on it. but that money is yours as you took the risk of getting the item and suffered the inconvenience of shifting it. he just got rid of all his risk so he should not have any of the rewards if they come subsequently.
  • macwisemacwise Forumite
    29 Posts
    Thanks mr218, you're quite right so I've just advertised it for free on Scot-ads for £250 ono and we'll see what happens...:T
    :jMacwise

:o"Proper prior planning prevents pathetically poor performance":cool:
  • grizacgrizac Forumite
    6 Posts
    Sam put the capital, Frodo put the work. In capitalism Sam should get almost everything and Frodo maybe a small comission. In communism Frodo should get everything. In the UK, Sauron-Blair should take everything in taxes, including most of the original price :p
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides