PIP debate-live now

Options

Comments

• Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Brassedoff wrote: »
    You're having a laugh on both points aren't you? £680 a week? That circa £43,000 top line! On benefits? No wonder some people don't want to work. Imagine how much extra kids are worth?
    Yes, this is Andy afterall. I would love to see a breakdown of those figures and how he gets them.....
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What ever the rights or wrongs, it's not measured using the McGill method in the NHS, it's tells pain consultants to use the Comparative Pain Scale. I saw this post last night and had my pain clinic appointment today. So I asked the Professor who is treating me (and I'm a 9 if anyone's asking), do they use the McGill. He said because its too easy to minipulate. He knows if or how much pain a patent is in because, or as he says it "I have been around the block once or twice"

On the subject of PIP or Blue Badges. I am not going to point out the "illnesses" that should be excluded over "disablement", but I would be a millionaire if I had a pound for the time I lose out on a disabled blue badge slot by someone with perfectly moving arms and legs moving briskly to their shop of choice.

I also note the amount of "one piece" blue badges where the clock is missing, not all of them were in that car a few hours ago until granny lent it them!

If you can walk, walk. Don't be like me and wish you could and have to be pushed in my wheelchair.

I expect there's a lot of very worried people on here about to lose cars and blue badges!

Hello again Roger Black, GlasweJen, Sunnyone and Richie-from-the-Boro, shame to see all the infighting still goes on here
    That may be YOUR consultants opinion. Both of the last 2 consultants I have seen have used the McGill questionnaire as a guide to measure the effectiveness of pain relief.

The NHS do not tell consultants which scale to use, it is a preference of the consultant or clinic. The most used is the VAS (Visual analogue scale) but no restrictions at all are placed on a consultant to use any of a number of different scales.

Even using your Comparative pain scale, I still measure well within the top 3rd (8/9).
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • satarical
    Options
    Parva wrote: »
    Sigh, the troll has still not been banned yet. To suggest that we are all telling lies about our conditions is just ridiculous. I have been 100% honest about my disabilities and didn't even get anyone from say the CAB or DIAL to help me 'word' it better yet I get HRM and HRC and frankly I need it. You yourself have in the past admitted that you were on the gravy train until they changed the rules, just look at your comments above re spending £11,000 on a car as you knew you would no longer qualify for HRM and the car that goes with it. Where the heck you found such a sum of money I don't know, mine goes on getting outside help.

For a start I am certainly not a troll!

I said I haven't as yet met anybody. You may do so, but I don't know you.

Gravy train? I only claim what I am entitled to according to the law. In fact, I fail to claim some benefits even though I am entitled to simply because I don't need the money.

I worked and saved and paid into various pension schemes.

I never said that I wasn't entitled to HRM - what I did say is that I wouldn't be entitled to any level of PIP when it comes in.
    So the common sense move was not to rely on a leased car through Motability and having no car when PIP arrived. I used Motability to fund my own car via their HP arm for a 3 year period (2015 - when PIP comes in). That way I kept the majority (£7200) of the cost in my bank and only put down a £4000 deposit.

Most people I know have up to £10,000 at their disposal - you are allowed that level of savings once you are 61+ if you were to claim a means tested benefit.
  • satarical
    satarical Posts: 211 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2013 at 12:03PM
    Options
    You're having a laugh on both points aren't you? £680 a week? That circa £43,000 top line! On benefits? No wonder some people don't want to work. Imagine how much extra kids are worth?

No I am not, I was totally disgusted to be honest. What made it worse was that the WRO said that I should claim every penny I can!!

You want the figures?

Right here you are, right from the horses mouth.

ESA (SG) and other benefits (self)/state pension (wife) £225.05
    Private pensions £58.82
    Guaranteed Pension Credit £115.63 *

* The law states that the minimum that we should have to live on is £399.50 per week (Couple amount + 2 x Carers premiums + Couple Severe Disability premium) plus:

+Guaranteed Pension Credit (housing costs) £69.81
    +Attendance Allowance (wife) £77.45
    +DLA (HRM & MRC) (self)£105.90
    +CTB £29.62

A grand total of £682.28 a week (£35479 net a year!)
  • satarical
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    That may be YOUR consultants opinion. Both of the last 2 consultants I have seen have used the McGill questionnaire as a guide to measure the effectiveness of pain relief.

The NHS do not tell consultants which scale to use, it is a preference of the consultant or clinic. The most used is the VAS (Visual analogue scale) but no restrictions at all are placed on a consultant to use any of a number of different scales.

Even using your Comparative pain scale, I still measure well within the top 3rd (8/9).

So do I - 8/9 without medication. With medication 2/3!
    How should I describe my pain? Before or after?
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2013 at 1:38PM
    Options
    satarical wrote: »
    So do I - 8/9 without medication. With medication 2/3!
    How should I describe my pain? Before or after?
    However you wish.

Mine is 8/9 without medication, and 8/9 with medication.

How should I describe mine?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    What ever the rights or wrongs, it's not measured using the McGill method in the NHS, it's tells pain consultants to use the Comparative Pain Scale. I saw this post last night and had my pain clinic appointment today. So I asked the Professor who is treating me (and I'm a 9 if anyone's asking), do they use the McGill. He said because its too easy to minipulate. He knows if or how much pain a patent is in because, or as he says it "I have been around the block once or twice"

On the subject of PIP or Blue Badges. I am not going to point out the "illnesses" that should be excluded over "disablement", but I would be a millionaire if I had a pound for the time I lose out on a disabled blue badge slot by someone with perfectly moving arms and legs moving briskly to their shop of choice.

I also note the amount of "one piece" blue badges where the clock is missing, not all of them were in that car a few hours ago until granny lent it them!

If you can walk, walk. Don't be like me and wish you could and have to be pushed in my wheelchair.

I expect there's a lot of very worried people on here about to lose cars and blue badges!

Hello again Roger Black, GlasweJen, Sunnyone and Richie-from-the-Boro, shame to see all the infighting still goes on here

HiYa Brassed, for nice to see you posting again.

- for myself ...........
    - the real problem with 'infighting' is, its initiated always by trolls and their 'feeders'
    - the fact of the matter is the 'infighting' is perpetrated by those who feed the troll
    - generally I've found it to be a well known truth that hairy 'under bridge' dwellers have as much 'oxygen' as we give them
    - deny the interaction, leave them talking to themselves, and 'infighting' will reduce in linear terms
    - in short the inquietude and pointless posting of balky comments by Andy&Flo will continue as long as they are fed
    - we all know this to be the truth, I should be shocked by the amount of regulars who help and support the troll in the quest for notoriety

- but I'm not, shocked that is, its sad, that good people bring themselves down to the same level as a troll
    - good people of MSE - stop any and all interaction - .............
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

There will always be in fighting, unfortunately there's a lot of "disability top trumps" that goes on and no one (not even me) wants to lose out when PIP comes in.

And don't get me started on blue badges, we are in the same boat (along with Parva and Sunnyone) that we need a wider space to get out of the car. If I go to Asda and there are no blue badge spaces then I don't shop there because I can't stand up so I need the additional space at the side of the car to transfer and that's what these spaces are for. They could make smaller disabled spaces for non wheelchair using blue badge holders but I'm genuinely perplexed that anyone who is "unable or virtually unable to walk" doesn't need something big and bulky to get them around.

I am pro invisible disabled rights and my own disability was largely invisible until I had that accident but sometimes I want to go around with anaesthetic and knock out other people's leg sensations for a few hours to see if they'd be so quick to park in the wheelchair space again.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't agree more Jen, some of the struggles I've had due to inconsiderate people, hobbling around the car on one leg is no fun at all! On a lighter note I got the DWP letter this morning informing me that after having viewed my ESA50 they've put me into the support group (was in WRAG prior). And for the benefit of Andy, no, I didn't exaggerate anything, I have no need to do so.
  • satarical
    satarical Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    However you wish.

Mine is 8/9 without medication, and 8/9 with medication.

How should I describe mine?

What is the point in taking it then and I would sack your Pain clinic consultant for not being able to do their job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure