Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Though I did vacuum the stairs - new filter has given old vacuum its suction power back so that was a very well spent £7.
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    So after an unhelpful response from the electricity company, I have been doing some online digging and it appears I have an odd meter that is set up for Economy 10. I think what has happened is that the suppliers have told me Economy 7 would be fine with this, while failing to mention that the extra 3 hours would still happen and of course there's nothing I can do to change it except switch the meter.

Time for some phone calls to establish exactly what the meter is set up to do so that I can try and untangle the best option. Of course I wish I'd done that a year ago, but I had other things on my mind :(

This means that I have £300 outstanding from December, and am currently in debit by £250, when the estimate for Economy 7 for a house of this size was less than £700 for the year :mad:. Not happy.

Rosa xx
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ouch, thats a big jump.

The style event sounds good, I had a look at the site you said about on DIAs diary and have now signed up for the FB bit.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ouch, thats a big jump.

The style event sounds good, I had a look at the site you said about on DIAs diary and have now signed up for the FB bit.
    Hmmm, a bit jealous. I hope they have an event near to me...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,337 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow, that is steep.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    A bit more online digging and a reply from Bulb (who by the way have been really helpful), it looks like I actually have a meter set up for something that is even rarer than Economy 10. Which would have been really helpful to know from the first supplier I spoke to when I moved in, instead of being told it was Economy 10 and assuming that the tariff mentioned on the meter didn't exist any more :mad::mad: . So at least now I know why the bills are hideous. Checking with the company who installed it which hours it is supposed to operate, and if they match up with what Bulb is telling me then will have to decide whether to stick with their off peak or move to one of the few suppliers who offer a relevant tariff. Sigh. Today's lesson - trust no sellers, google everything.

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Ouch, thats a big jump.

Yay! The FB group is great, it's one of the few reasons I am still on fb. Really friendly and supportive.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    My brain hurts trying to make sense of electricity tariff arrangements and it is such a waste of time and energy - it's not as if I don't have anything else to do - but of course it needs sorting to avoid wasting money. Emailing current supplier and original meter supplier to try and sort out who thinks what is on when. Horrified to find out current supplier thinks my supposedly off peak meter is actually on most of the time so that would explain the hideous bill. May have to get a timer put on the water heater.

And probably got a parking ticket today... :(

Just trying to be grateful that this is happening now and can be dealt with, not in my previous situation.

Rosa xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,337 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hopefully not a parking ticket.
    Fingers crossed :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry you have had such a frustrating day.
    Like you say this would have been worse when you had debt.
    Fingers crossed for the parking ticket not materialising
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family