Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry you have had such a frustrating day.
    Like you say this would have been worse when you had debt.
    Fingers crossed for the parking ticket not materialising

Thanks DIA and Beanie

I paid the ticket online as soon as I realised but it was this afternoon, so it will depend how they work the number checking. I normally pay at the station as I collect my ticket but the machine spat my card out three times and one of the station staff printed it for me, so I rushed off for the train meaning to sort the parking as soon as I sat down and forgot. :(:mad:

Things are going OK otherwise, I've been re-reading the FlyLady book to motivate myself and realising that actually things are doing OK. Robovac hoovered downstairs for me the other day and I've just brought it up to do upstairs, I managed to put some things in the loft last night (only the shove-through-hatch-and-leave method, but still better than them being on the spare bed) and I am about to set the bedding to wash on night rate so that hopefully I can set it to dry tomorrow before I leave for work. There are a dozen boxes remaining to be sorted in the spare room, but most of the rest of the stuff that needs doing is house improvements. I had already started my summer clothes switchover and finally got my legs out today :D so that will happen gradually - I am being ruthless about chucking things I no longer love in the charity box so will need to do some shopping, but there's enough there to manage for now.

I am getting fidgety... change afoot and not quite a plan in place yet... all sorts of things could happen :D

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I think that if car parks offer a pay online service there's something like 24hrs you can pay. Don't hold me to that but I'm sure I did something similar for my mum once when she managed to leave a pay on exit car park forgetting to pay and to my knowledge she had no ticket.

Fingers crossed for you xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I think that if car parks offer a pay online service there's something like 24hrs you can pay. Don't hold me to that but I'm sure I did something similar for my mum once when she managed to leave a pay on exit car park forgetting to pay and to my knowledge she had no ticket.

Fingers crossed for you xx

Thanks Kerri

I checked the notice and technically I am finable but it will probably depend whether they've set their plate checking system to just 'paid up at time of exit' or a more complicated algorithm about 'paid at time of exit but not within ten minutes of arrival'. Fingers crossed, anyway.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I'm having a lovely weekend :T

Saw a relative and a friend I haven't caught up with ages, and went camper van window shopping. Nothing spot on there but I think I've seen another one to go visit this week or on the weekend. Summer plans not fully defined yet but getting there. A bit of gardening has been achieved today and I think I've got some ideas on what next.

:money:wise, made some progress with untangling the mad electricity tariff, but am so annoyed at the original supplier and their unhelpfulness as well as the ridiculousness of the tariff, I am very reluctant to go with them. Have asked electrician about getting a timer fitted for the hot water, as that would be helpful regardless of supplier, and think I will otherwise leave the issue alone for the summer as the storage heaters are off anyway. I can revisit it the situation in the autumn when the new generation smart meters should also be a possibility. Still no word from HMRC.

Budget is all on track, and because I've been out and about I've spent less on some categories than expected, so currently have a little left over. Still can't find where I went wrong on the CC and CBA to track it down so have just made an adjustment transaction. Everything else matches up.

Plodding still... :)

Rosa xx
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Plodding is always good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Shuffle done quickly today as I did most of it on payday. Everything on track and I have more money left over than I thought, as I returned some clothes purchases and haven't eaten out much. Still don't know how I got off track with the CC as had to adjust my adjustment by -£1 to match up :rotfl:

Emailed electrician about a timer for the water heater and will try to ring the original meter supplier this week, in the hope I get more sense out of someone on the phone. If it is only one standing charge with them then it is probably going to work out cheaper and I can still change the meter if I want in the autumn. House is otherwise progressing veeerrrry slowly, I have managed to put two things in the loft and will try to put some more summer things through the wash today or tomorrow, so that the winter things can be shifted off the spare bed. Weather has been rubbish so not much opportunity to do anything with the garden, though I will try and look at lawnmowers this week in the hope of getting one for when the sun does turn up!

Not much in other news - I have a job application to finish up tonight which just needs me to actually rephrase things on the CV, I drafted most of it yesterday. I am still way behind with my extra contract as I have basically lost interest in it. I should really give it up, especially as the extra money just isn't worth it any more, but we have lost two other people so it would be really bad timing to go now. Must try and think of something I can spend the extra on guilt free that would be worth it!

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good luck with the job application.

Like you I want the weather to get drier so I can do some gardening...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Sunday came round quickly :eek:

Budget is ok, bought lawn things and have managed to make a start on it today so now it looks scalped and messy rather than neglected :rotfl:. Hopefully it will get better gradually. First quote option for the front garden has replied so just need to find a day when I can be in.

Also making slow progress with sorting the summer clothes swopover... just ironing and a bit of mending to do before the winter stuff can be put away.

So more plodding really... all good here :)

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Famous last words and all that... she said, chucking an entire freezer's worth of food into the bin. A terrible waste but probably not worth claiming on the house insurance. Plus an interesting point in that either I need to be more organised how I put things in there, or I don't eat as much bacon as I think I do - can't really need four packs!

No idea if I left it open or it has failed with the hot weather, but it is damaged anyway (by previous occupants) so have ordered a replacement. Not that I was planning that spend :( but am very glad that at least now it can just be done without drama.

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry about the freezer. But as you say, the calm in being able to just order a new one is priceless :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family