🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Vanguard Life Strategy

Options

Comments

• Sanoffo
    Sanoffo Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes correct, all 15k on the 80/20. I'm going to try and bite my teeth on this one and power through on time in the market, not timing.

I am however tempted to cut my losses and re-drip feed it back over the coming 3-6 months if only to get my gf off my back!
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    I was under the impression that the VLS system was almost a set it and forget it type of investment. It is already quite diversely spread amongst Equities, bonds, property etc.

My portfolio is made up from Equities, real estate and bonds and not an all inclusive fund like the VLS 80/20
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    there a diff between investing and speculation,your 80/20 vanguard is asset allocated so over time(5---20 year period it will grow)in down trends you can put more in.speculation guessing the market moving it in out is the way to the poor house
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 June 2013 at 2:36AM
    Options
    Sanoffo wrote: »
    I am however tempted to cut my losses and re-drip feed it back over the coming 3-6 months if only to get my gf off my back!
    There's nothing wrong with doing that, though it's only going to be cutting losses if markets continue to fall. It could be cutting profits if they rise. It still seems like a sensible thing for you to do.

There's nothing unusual in the sort of drops you've seen. Just fairly normal fluctuations that you'll see many times each year.

The equity part of VLS can probably be beaten on growth by random selection of a mixture of companies from say the top 1000 global companies instead of the weighting it uses. Say put 0.1% of the money in each one each time a random number generator picks it.
  • esmecullen
    esmecullen Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the comments folks, I feel more calm now. In hindsight I probably would have placed a small lump sum and drip fed the rest but hey, I had to start somewhere... I just wanted it on the market.

May the learning begin!

I'm a new investor too and I had exactly the same thoughts as you...............put the whole lot in, but then I thought no so I put a small sum in and now drip feeding the fund and sitting back to let it "do its thing:D"..........yes at times when I have a little peek to see how its doing I am disappointed when it is down.............but take a deep breath and carry on as normal..........its there for 10yrs+ Last week I was rubbing my hands as it was doing very well

for fun I got a few shares in BT......same thing up and down............hey ho

but best thing is "dont panic"
    total airhead, total bimbo, very superficial:D
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes correct, all 15k on the 80/20. I'm going to try and bite my teeth on this one and power through on time in the market, not timing.

Don't be tempted. And if she is your GF and not your wife, she should have no say in what you do with your money. Nor you hers.

If you invested because you want to invest for the long term, in something that will in all likelyhood do better than cash/inflation, then hold firm.

Or ask us next time and we'll tell you what we tell nervous Nellie's all the time (and what I tend to do myself) and that is drip feed from the beginning.

Certainly in your case drip feed in future.
  • atush
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Drip feeding may have been more appropriate but given that its gone into a highly diversified multi market multi asset class fund, so a single fund isn't that problematic.

I was thinking more along the lines of putting some in 60/40 as well etc.
  • ozzage
    ozzage Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Sanoffo

You don't have a dilemma. You don't need to do anything. Sure you could sell now and it might work out great. Or it might not and you'd regret doing it.

Forget predicting and relax. Add more money when you have it. Maybe those units will be cheaper. Or maybe not :P

Remember as well that you'll get growth from dividends no matter what the price is doing.

atush your comments about girlfriends/wives is very old-fashioned and I find a bit out of line. You don't know anything about his situation, and certainly my girlfriend of 8 years and mother of my daughter has a say in my finances!
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Options
    ozzage wrote: »
    atush your comments about girlfriends/wives is very old-fashioned and I find a bit out of line. You don't know anything about his situation, and certainly my girlfriend of 8 years and mother of my daughter has a say in my finances!

But as a boyfriend, they are your finances. When you marry, there is no longer really such a thing. The contract of marriage merges your financial arrangements like nothing else can.
    The volatility that you are experiencing is the whole point of being invested. If you try to cut out the drops, you will also miss out on some of the increases. Focus on time in the market, not on timing the market.
  • atush
    edited 5 June 2013 at 3:14PM
    Options

You may find it 'old fashionned' I find it based on law and fact.

Facts are, you didn't mention you'd been together for 8 years and you had children yet still did not marry.

Facts are, your daughter has an interest in your finances as you are bound to her by law. You aren't to your girlfriend, no matter how long you have been together.

Marriage is not romance or religion. It is a legal contract binding two parties, and their finances together. So you either are, or aren't.

So, like I said it is your money to do with what you like and she has no say. You have no say over what she does with hers. If you want to discuss it with her, fine. But she cannot tell you what to do with it. If you want to spend some of it on a wedding, go for it. If not, plow your own road.

If you died tomorrow, you child would inherit everything you own, and she wouldn't get a bean. Have a pension? She wouldn't get that either.

If you want your finances co-mingled, then either get married or go to the trouble of wills (need one anyway with a child) and nominating each other on pensions etc. But still not everything (such as probate) will be easy as you aren't married.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport