Flight delay and cancellation compensation, KLM/AF ONLY

Options

Comments

• Most of the experiences on here are negative, but I thought I would post that I had a pretty good experience with KLM over a flight cancellation a few weeks ago. I just filled the form in on their website and they got back within two days to say they were paying full compensation (with no further information required) which I've now received. The cancellation was because of a staff issue but they took full responsibility for it. This is the second time I've claimed flight compensation and the first time (with Norwegian) was much more hassle so I'd give KLM top marks for this.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had no issue with the KLM claim I made several years ago either, even as I was waiting between flights at Schipol. But the aim of this board is principally to help those who do have issues, and there are many, with airlines.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • manutd99
    Options
    Just want some advice on how to proceed with a flight delay.

I travelled on KLM on Monday from Manchester to Amsterdam. It was delayed by 2h 39min.

Due to the delay I missed my connection. I was then booked on a flight the next day so had to stay overnight in Amsterdam. Was booked into a hotel by KLM.

It was foggy that morning but unsure if this was the actual reason as other flights seem to have been operating (I think).

Flight number - KLM1074. 18th Dec

How do I find the actual reason? Do I email and ask or make a claim and see what they say?

What should be my next step? Do I claim online via their website or is better to send a template letter?

Any advice appreciated.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi manutd99,

You should claim directly from the airline in the first instance, see what they say, and take it from there. If they have an online claim form use that.

It's always hard getting the true reason for a delay but if you post your flight details we may be able to find out a little more. It was foggy and the runway was also closed for emergency repairs on Monday so, depending on the time of your flight, it could have been for a genuine reason.

It's also worth putting your details into one of the online flight delay calculators to see if they believe you have a valid claim.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • manutd99
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi manutd99,

You should claim directly from the airline in the first instance, see what they say, and take it from there. If they have an online claim form use that.

It's always hard getting the true reason for a delay but if you post your flight details we may be able to find out a little more. It was foggy and the runway was also closed for emergency repairs on Monday so, depending on the time of your flight, it could have been for a genuine reason.

It's also worth putting your details into one of the online flight delay calculators to see if they believe you have a valid claim.

Good luck.

I have now completed the online form.

My flights details are in my original post

Flight number - KLM1074. 18th Dec - The one that got delayed

I put my details in bottonline.com and it said I am eligible for compensation.

Il see what KLM reply with. My hopes arn't I as there was two passengers. One adult and one child so doubt they would had over £1000 without a fight as overall journey was long distance.

Have there been many where compensation has been awarded with only the online form completed? How far have people been to get compensation with KLM. My advantage is I am familiar with moneyclaimonline process as recently won a parking fine court case (see previous posts).
  • Tyzap
    Options
    manutd99 wrote: »
    I have now completed the online form.

My flights details are in my original post

Flight number - KLM1074. 18th Dec - The one that got delayed

I put my details in bottonline.com and it said I am eligible for compensation.

Il see what KLM reply with. My hopes arn't I as there was two passengers. One adult and one child so doubt they would had over £1000 without a fight as overall journey was long distance.

Have there been many where compensation has been awarded with only the online form completed? How far have people been to get compensation with KLM. My advantage is I am familiar with moneyclaimonline process as recently won a parking fine court case (see previous posts).

Hi,

The aircraft left AMS at about 9am, landed at MAN at 10am but was then on the ground till about 12.20pm, I don't know why tho. It's usually a very quick turn around. Other aircraft were landing and taking off during that period. Possible minor tec problem.

If Bott says you are due compensation then you probably are.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • manutd99
    manutd99 Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I thought KLM rejected my claim. The response was extremely quick. I submitted at night and the next morning I had a response. I got the following response.

Per our records, the flight was delayed due to restrictions put forward by the Air Traffic Control (ATC) as a consequence of adverse weather conditions. We can understand the uncertainty this situation must have caused and apologise for the inconvenience.

Decisions made by Air Traffic Control affect the departure and arrival time of a particular aircraft, and results in delayed arrival of the flight. Because of the unforeseen nature of such circumstances, they cannot be avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. These situations are considered to be beyond our control and do not fall under the purview of the existing EC Regulation 261/2004. Hence, no compensation is due on this occasion. We regret the inconvenience caused due to this disruption.

Where do I go from here. If above statement is incorrect how do I prove that. How do I find out the actual reason if there is another reason as presume KLM trying to fob me (if the case)
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Hi manutd99,

There was a lot of fog that day and I noticed that the smaller turbo pro type aircraft were very badly affected by it when attempting to land. Your aircraft, and quite a few other jet aircraft, came straight in without any landing delays.

What is not so easy to see is the outward flow and any delays to departures.

You know that Botts believe you have a valid claim, so that is one option open to you. To DIY will be difficult, and would probable require litigation to get any answers from KLM. I don't feel that ADR would get to the bottom of the why's and wherefores of all the problems that cropped up on a foggy day, so definitely an uphill battle.

Ultimately tho, the decision is yours.
  • manutd99
    manutd99 Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. Leaning towards giving to botts.

Why botts? Are there others out there as the 25% plus Vat is a considerable amount. Is that what most others charge?

Would've preferred to go alone but unfortunately wouldn't know how to go about in doing it mainly proving the actual reason.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Hi,

There are lots of unregulated claims assistance companies out there, who I would not recommend using. Unscrupulous claims companies have been known to receive compensation from the airline but then failed to pass it on to the claimant.

Solicitors such as Botts, have a very successful track record against the airlines and have brought about changes to the law. I have successfully used them twice and found them to be very professional. Others are available tho.

I believe charges are very similar whoever you use.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure