Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We was 3.5 hours delayed no food or water offered. No vouchers. Trapped on the plane! Going from Manchester to Barcelona. I thought it was 250 each but when they offered €250 I thought I'd maybe got it wrong!
    check the offer it should state €250 each (not total)
  • mariannes39
    Options
    Yes just 250 total I've declined! ;)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless they are playing silly !!!!!!s (Ryanair -surely not?) and effectively inferring that you all need to claim individually...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Simmo71
    Simmo71 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 June 2017 at 11:29PM
    Options
    I'm pleased to report I've finally received my payout from Ryanair for a delayed >3hrs on a flight to Corfu in July 2016. They gave 3 excuses on the day - aircraft late back from previous destination, fuel truck breakdown, and finally no pushback crew available hence we missed our revised departure slot. When I wrote to them requesting compensation they declined my claim, "due to air traffic control issues" beyond their control. 4 reasons/excuses, none of which I really believed.

Having read Vauban's guide I realised I didn't have the time or mental energy to pursue the case myself, especially when the CAA told me they wouldn't get involved and wouldn't confirm the official reason for delay, so I instructed one of the claims companies (the well-known one in NW England) around Christmas time. They lodged court proceedings which RA ignored, so it was encouraging when the court decided in my favour on the basis that RA didn't contest the case. Frustratingly they still didn't pay out, with the solicitors having to start enforcement action which finally forced Ryanair's hand.

Whilst I would've dearly loved to have done the whole process myself - for the satisfaction of forcing Ryanair to do the right thing, rather than to avoid having to pay 30% to the solicitors - I'm really not sure I'd have been able to do it without unlimited time at my disposal. Either way, it's good to have the money in the bank and to know Ryanair 'haven't got away with it'.

I also claimed the cost of onboard refreshments directly through Ryanair which gave even more insight into their obstinance as a company, which basically meant banging my head against the brick wall of their customer service system for 11 months until a letter posted directly to Michael O'Leary finally did the trick and they refunded me. In terms of time spent vs what I claimed in refreshment costs I'd be a long way south of minimum wage in the end but the satisfaction is worth its weight in gold.

In short I'd recommend those with a valid claim don't give up hope; if you have the willpower to not take no for an answer then you will ultimately force Ryanair to do what any decent company would do at the first request without argument.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done Simmo71,

Not everyone has the time or inclination to DIY, so using a firm of genuine solicitors, rather than a claims assistance company, make complete sense.

What RA are doing, imo, amounts to none compliance of the law. This is where we all look to the CAA to step in and force RA to accept and abide by the law. What they are systematically doing is not acceptable and the same can be said for the CAA.

Never-the-less, well done for not allowing them to ignore you.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • mbzon
    mbzon Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2017 at 3:54PM
    Options
    First of all I just want to say I of course dont blame ryanair for the weather, I don't know how well or not they handled the decision on where to land but this is mostly regarding how they handled the situation after we landed.

So our flight From Berlin to Bergamo (under 1500 km) was unable to land due to bad weather (2 weeks ago) and after 30 minutes circuling landed in Malpensa. This sucks, and I can only take their word from them that they handled that part as best they could.

After we landed however, we were all told to wait at one of the exits so we made our way there, and told nothing else except that a bus would be there soon to take us. We waited, and waited, after 30 minutes asking again and again the same answer, after an hour, one and a half hours, still nothing and the only information given was a rudely stated "Soon, you have to wait". Finally after more than 2 hours of waiting in the car park the bus finally arrived, and people were almost fighting to get on it. On top of this the staff member while rude throughout, went well over the line by loudly shouting at an elderly lady who was calmly and politely trying to explain to the ryanair staff that she had been separated from her husband.... I really wish I could have filmed that moment... it was quite unbelievable....

Finally we arrived at our destination at 1.30 in the morning, 3 hours and 45 minutes after our expected arrival time.

Again, I understand that sometimes there are things out of the the airlines control, however I believe that this delay was much longer than needed, due to the way ryanair handled the situation, and definitely a lot more painful than it needed to be.

For example another friend of mine who was once rerouted on a BA flight for similar reasons told me that when it happened to him they were told on the airplane that a bus would take over an hour to pick them up, so if this was not convenient for them they could take a taxi and BA would reimburse them for the cost. We were not told this, we were not offered any refreshments, and my wife in fact directly asked for information regarding our rights to compensation as it told us to do so on our tickets and was refused (was told it is for departures not for arrivals).

So I would like to ask, does this qualify for compensation, and if so in what form? And what would be the best method to claim that?

Oh and one last, maybe irrelevant detail, our return flight was also delayed 1 hour and 10 minutes haha. Lucky us... :)

Many thanks in advance.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Mbzon,

Most of the regulars here will sympathise with you having been through something similar.

If you post your flight details, date etc we can have a look.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tony_Shurrock
    Options
    Ryanair agreed very quickly to pay compensation but then sent payment to low cost visa electron card despite fact they had gone into liquidation 2 monthe previously . Their reason being that the package was booked via low cost. Despite months of e mails on the Resolver site I have to date been unable to obtain the payment and have had no resonable answer to many of my questions.
    Ryanair maintain that payment has been made and have provided an ARN ref no for transaction but nobody understands what this is including Ryanair customer service (should be diservice dept) who provided it!
    Low cost administrations say all low cost accounts were frozen in July last year and they are unable to track down the visa electron card from details provided.
    I am therefore stuck between the two.
    Has anyone else had a similar experience?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No but you
    a) should post this on Ryanair thread.
    b) Send a stern letter to tell them to stop !!!!!!! you around and pay up. Send this as an NBA then read the excellent Dr Watson's notes on taking Ryanair to court.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • mbzon
    mbzon Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh, sorry didn't know it mattered. It was flight FR4734 on the 14th of June.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback